• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wentz or Mayfield: who would you rather have?

who would you rather have?

• Wentz

Votes: 24 25.8%
  • Mayfield

Votes: 57 61.3%
  • Potato salad

Votes: 12 12.9%

• Total voters

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Jimmy G will probably get released unless a starter on another team goes down during camp/preseason. Then the seahawks swoop in to sign him, I'm guessing?
I guess I don't see the point of releasing him. If you're stuck with him, you're stuck with him. He's not abjectly awful. Idk what Cleveland's cap situation is and how long Watson is suspended, but if there is a way to make that work...

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Jimmy G will probably get released unless a starter on another team goes down during camp/preseason. Then the seahawks swoop in to sign him, I'm guessing?
If Watson gets a long suspension could see the Browns making a move for JG.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I don't see the point of releasing him. If you're stuck with him, you're stuck with him. He's not abjectly awful. Idk what Cleveland's cap situation is and how long Watson is suspended, but if there is a way to make that work...
JG's cap hit is too big... and given the draft capital that they gave up for Lance, they need to find out what they have in him while they still have time on his rookie deal. There is potential that he restructures his deal and stays with the 9ers in a back-up role, but I doubt that the team wants to add that distraction, and I doubt JG wants that scenario as well. Everything we're hearing from local beat writers is that this is Lance's team going into training camp. That seems like the least likely scenario.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think Browns are now $48-49 mil under the cap so definitely have the room if they wanted to do it. could see it if Watson suspension is a season. Maybe even 8 games or longer.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think Browns are now $48-49 mil under the cap so definitely have the room if they wanted to do it. could see it if Watson suspension is a season. Maybe even 8 games or longer.
If the Browns want to go after him, they are much better off waiting for him to be cut. There really isn't a market for JG right now.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JG's cap hit is too big... and given the draft capital that they gave up for Lance, they need to find out what they have in him while they still have time on his rookie deal. There is potential that he restructures his deal and stays with the 9ers in a back-up role, but I doubt that the team wants to add that distraction, and I doubt JG wants that scenario as well. Everything we're hearing from local beat writers is that this is Lance's team going into training camp. That seems like the least likely scenario.
Not wrong, but if Lance is hurt or ineffective Jimmy G is there too. Niners are in an awkward spot. That they haven't cut Jimmy G by now makes me think they're willing to hold onto him in the actual season. Sure, they're hoping a QB gets hurt so they can pounce, but... with what leverage?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns are under the cap by a good amount I think. Even after eating 10 mill of Baker's contract.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, if the Browns earnestly think they can make the playoffs and the Watson suspension is 8 games to 1 year +, that's a worthwhile move.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland should be giving up that pick they just got for him

Watson is cooked and Brissett aint it

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not wrong, but if Lance is hurt or ineffective Jimmy G is there too. Niners are in an awkward spot. That they haven't cut Jimmy G by now makes me think they're willing to hold onto him in the actual season. Sure, they're hoping a QB gets hurt so they can pounce, but... with what leverage?
They haven't cut him because if they do while injured, he counts $7M against the cap. They are waiting until he can throw again to either trade or cut him. Doesn't have anything to do with wanting him as a backup to Lance. They are waiting for his cap situation to clear up so they can resign Deebo and Bosa. Bosa may wait for a new deal, betting on himself to have a dominant 2023 to max out his contract the following year, but Deebo wants an extension this summer. The only way JG's on the 9ers roster game one is with a restructured deal - and I don't think the team wants the locker room distraction.

JG's surgery has really impacted his ability to get traded to a decent team without taking a salary hit. Horrible timing for both parties, but JG will ultimately suffer more than the 9ers.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think they need to do anything until they know Watson's status. That's the only scintilla of leverage the Niners have. Browns can tell them to fuck off for a month if the Niners ask for a 3rd round pick for instance.

Last edited:

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe... but they probably don't "have" to. They can most likely wait until he's released, then bid for his services against the Seahawks. If they have >$40M of cap space, they can overpay for one year compared to Seattle.

Who knows... maybe they do it just to make sure he doesn't hit the market? Unless there's an injury, I just can't see too many teams vying for JG's services right now.

LeroyOU12

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfair ending for the qb that led them to their first playoff win in a zillion years.

Hate the trade for Watson. Hate this trade.
yep, the Browns signed away their future on a QB that won't play for them this season. Then kicked the QB that played through his injury for them to the curb.
The browns may not make .500 this season.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Rhule is on the burning hot seat.

His seat isnt as hot as you probably think. A 7-9 team and he probably sticks around simply because of the ridiculous contract that that Panthers gave him.

The bigger part of the trade is that the Panthers are eating only $5m of his contract and the Browns are on the hook for $10.5M.

Terrible trade for Cleveland. But at least they are done.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, the Browns signed away their future on a QB that won't play for them this season. Then kicked the QB that played through his injury for them to the curb.
The browns may not make .500 this season.
I don't know if it'll be the whole season. It should be, but I wouldn't be shocked if it were some bullshit like 6-8 games instead.

Last edited: