• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Well tonights game tells me this

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either the NFL is going to seriously crack down even harder on defensive PI, or the NFL as a whole is going to play alot more press man one safety over the top. Im thinking the press man is about to become the defensive style of choice though.

BigCountry_48

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not everyone has the personnel to run press man the way the Seahawks can. Can you imagine if we tried playing man all the time with our corners? Also, lets not forget man coverage is susceptible to the mobile QB and allowing huge gains.

I think the one thing we have learned that we may have forgotten though, is that even in today's changed game a great defense will always beat a great offense.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not everyone has the personnel to run press man the way the Seahawks can. Can you imagine if we tried playing man all the time with our corners? Also, lets not forget man coverage is susceptible to the mobile QB and allowing huge gains.

I think the one thing we have learned that we may have forgotten though, is that even in today's changed game a great defense will always beat a great offense.

I agree that not every team can play press man like Seattle does. But I think you are going to see a premium on the bigger corners who can play press man this coming off season. We can not be the only people on the planet to see how it dictates what the offense can do. The days of the 5'9" CB who runs a killer 40 are going to slowly give way to the 6' + CB who knows how to get away with PI to the point that it doesnt look like PI.

For get who said it, but the truth is, if everything looks like PI, eventually nothing will look like PI. And the Sea Hawks proved that this year.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were other things that this game taught us as well, starting with how the truly great QBs had to deal with this type defense every game and not just in a championship or SB. Isn't it interesting that Seattle won it all and the dominating subject in almost all of sports talkdom centers on P. Mannings legacy? We were reminded that average QB's going against a superior defense are exposed for what they are. I do think that you are correct to suggest that PI rule changes will be considered by the competition committee and at some point be modeled after the halo rule in college ball. Then when the dubious records set in todays version of the game fall, the talk will center around the next GOAT without consideration to those who played the game when every yard was actually earned.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either the NFL is going to seriously crack down even harder on defensive PI, or the NFL as a whole is going to play alot more press man one safety over the top. Im thinking the press man is about to become the defensive style of choice though.

Or that Seattle has a DC who actually knows how to coach? Man coverage with 1 high safety against a QB who cannot run, is immobile and a sitting duck. With the athletes Seattle has, it's a no brainer but it takes the gumption to roll out the game plan as well. That all starts with coaching my friend...

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or that Seattle has a DC who actually knows how to coach? Man coverage with 1 high safety against a QB who cannot run, is immobile and a sitting duck. With the athletes Seattle has, it's a no brainer but it takes the gumption to roll out the game plan as well. That all starts with coaching my friend...

Some how I take it you think Haslett just cant coach then. If thats the case we are well and truely screwed. Guess we will see this year as he will have the bandwidth to actually coach the defense. I dont expect us to be in the top ten as far as yards given up next year, but i do think we will be ranked highly in turnovers taken again as well as sacks.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some how I take it you think Haslett just cant coach then. If thats the case we are well and truely screwed. Guess we will see this year as he will have the bandwidth to actually coach the defense. I dont expect us to be in the top ten as far as yards given up next year, but i do think we will be ranked highly in turnovers taken again as well as sacks.

I know Haslett played LB in the pros, coached various teams as an assistant and HC, but his track record is proven over that period of time and you can't tell me that he hasn't left you scratching your head most Sunday's with his game plan or a sequence of series in which it looks like we have NO clue on defense. I have zero faith in Haslett.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

More than anything - what I take away from the Seahawks win is the importance of scouting and personnel decisions. The Seahawks have tons of late round picks, undrafted players & castoffs who contribute in a major way. Hopefully - the Redskins have the right structure now where they can start to operate in this manner.

I will give Haslett the benefit of the doubt in this case since I believe it is yet another area where Shanahan might have been a roadblock since he is such a control freak. I believe I read where he had veto power over all draft picks including on defense. If this is true then I am somewhat optimistic moving forward. Shanahan's track record for selecting defensive players is awful with a few exceptions.

HTTR

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was talking with co-workers today...Seattle simply outcoached Denver. No adjustments, they seemed to be in total shock, no run game, no use of roll outs, pa...totally predictable.
And while Haslett was magical in '12, he does call some plays that frankly we don't have the personnel for.

ex. 3rd and 15 ....zero blitz...Hall vs Dez(you realize it was a terrible call, but you call it again in the 4th)

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well you guys are about 2 years behind me because i have been preaching big tall fast CBs as what we need with ex cbs playing safety

and it shows that silly myth that you dont need a defense to win as a farce . hence the skins need to build the defense as i have said all along

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking with co-workers today...Seattle simply outcoached Denver. No adjustments, they seemed to be in total shock, no run game, no use of roll outs, pa...totally predictable.
And while Haslett was magical in '12, he does call some plays that frankly we don't have the personnel for.

ex. 3rd and 15 ....zero blitz...Hall vs Dez(you realize it was a terrible call, but you call it again in the 4th)

So the question becomes, do we in fact bring in the personnel to allow Haslett to be more creative?? I think they are going to give Carriker every chance to make this team if its up to Haslett. And when healthy he is a good fit for what we do. If the D-line is healthy, that should lessen what we need on defense to 3 DBs and an ILB assuming we resign Rak and Riley. Now that the 2013 season is officially over, Im getting a feeling we are going to make some one like Byrd a very well paid DB in a little over a month.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the question becomes, do we in fact bring in the personnel to allow Haslett to be more creative?? I think they are going to give Carriker every chance to make this team if its up to Haslett. And when healthy he is a good fit for what we do. If the D-line is healthy, that should lessen what we need on defense to 3 DBs and an ILB assuming we resign Rak and Riley. Now that the 2013 season is officially over, Im getting a feeling we are going to make some one like Byrd a very well paid DB in a little over a month.[/QUOTE

well haslett is signed so we have no choice in the matter .

i would part ways with carriker ,( 2 games in 2 years ) so he will get the hall treatment if he stays . personally i think he is through

but bowen , carriker , golston , jenkins and nield are on the lower end of talent in the 3/4 scheme . we need virtually a complete overhaul on the d/line

i think jenkins and nield have value as BU 's along with baker but the rest (excluding cofield ) are no longer viable starting de's or NT's

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jenkins, Golston and Neild are all relatively cheap, so keeping them is a no brainer. There still may be upside in Jenkins and Neild. Bowen is just too expensive for his production. He needs to either take a pay cut or be cut. Same with Carriker. He is probably a long shot to contribute in a meaningful way, he is 2 years removed from playing. Even if he has healed, his skills have probably diminished. I'd like to see us re sign Baker and pick up a true NT in the draft. Then we could move Cofield to DT,where he really belongs.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jenkins, Golston and Neild are all relatively cheap, so keeping them is a no brainer. There still may be upside in Jenkins and Neild. Bowen is just too expensive for his production. He needs to either take a pay cut or be cut. Same with Carriker. He is probably a long shot to contribute in a meaningful way, he is 2 years removed from playing. Even if he has healed, his skills have probably diminished. I'd like to see us re sign Baker and pick up a true NT in the draft. Then we could move Cofield to DT,where he really belongs.
cofield could be an in house solution to a nimble 3/4 de who can pressure the passer