• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WEEK 3: BEARS AT JETS OFFICIAL GAME-THREAD

nomoreshoop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true, they had a TD when Jay went horizontal and popped up the ball

nomoreshoop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well they all walked off the field so let's hope it heals fast

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If their run blocking doesn't get better, and Slauson can't come back.

Look out. lol

De Le Puente looking good though. They HAVE to run better against GB's defense.

Should definitely try and control the clock next week. Despite Rodgers' weak start this season. He knows where to beat this scheme and seems to love doing it. Pack O-line is still weak too, I'm predicting a two sack day for Allen. He loves playing the pack.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should definitely try and control the clock next week. Despite Rodgers' weak start this season. He knows where to beat this scheme and seems to love doing it. Pack O-line is still weak too, I'm predicting a two sack day for Allen. He loves playing the pack.

He's got to be due for a sack. He's been so close over and over the last two weeks.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish Mundy's pick six was in the fourth quarter and sealed the win just to see the headline in the Sun Times "Mundy Night Football" (you know they would).

Fuller looked great again... Complete player. I thought Bostic stepped up and Sutton looked good. Hopefully either some of these guys bounce back from injuries or one or two of you guys can play safety.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the best depth we've had in a long time. It was tested tonight.

Another huge road win.

GO BEARS!

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand the jets fans being pissed. If that Alshon pass interference call was against our guy or the QB fumble they ran in for a touchdown was not allowed. Guess its taking advantage of your opportunities and yeah, our depth players are doing that.

DLP is playing great center, but there were so many plays when Ola was just standing there waiting to block someone and all the jets were past him already and pressure was on Jay by a guy to the right or left of him that was engaged with another lineman.

I hope if Garza returns before Slausen its back at guard, then backup guard and center.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DLP is the highest ranked Center through 3 games on PFF!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand the jets fans being pissed. If that Alshon pass interference call was against our guy or the QB fumble they ran in for a touchdown was not allowed. Guess its taking advantage of your opportunities and yeah, our depth players are doing that.

DLP is playing great center, but there were so many plays when Ola was just standing there waiting to block someone and all the jets were past him already and pressure was on Jay by a guy to the right or left of him that was engaged with another lineman.

I hope if Garza returns before Slausen its back at guard, then backup guard and center.

I've heard complaints about that call, but it was an armbar. It won't get called every time, but it was a penalty. The only thing the Jets fans should be ticked about is the ball being blown dead after the fumble recovery. But when they called back Marshall's TD, we rose to the occasion and scored anyway. The Jets never rose to the occasion when they had setbacks. Heck, the officials did everything they could to give them a TD in the last drive with the Amaro spot for the first down and the bogus pass interference on Bostic... but they didn't rise to the occasion. If they are going to complain, they should start with their offense, not the refs.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Kyle Fuller is #1 of all CB's on PFF. That's a great offseason of cheap pickups and drafting!

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard complaints about that call, but it was an armbar. It won't get called every time, but it was a penalty. The only thing the Jets fans should be ticked about is the ball being blown dead after the fumble recovery. But when they called back Marshall's TD, we rose to the occasion and scored anyway. The Jets never rose to the occasion when they had setbacks. Heck, the officials did everything they could to give them a TD in the last drive with the Amaro spot for the first down and the bogus pass interference on Bostic... but they didn't rise to the occasion. If they are going to complain, they should start with their offense, not the refs.

It was an armbar, but both sides were guilty. It deserved a no call. The ball was thrown short and Jeffrey came back to it and was first to put his arm over the DB's shoulder.

I cant comment much, I was in and out with the game. I did see the mark on the first down, I guess it could have been a reversed call, but if Bostic would have just wrapped him and stood him up instead of letting him fall forward it would have been a no doubt spot short of the 30 too.

I did like seeing the bears actually hitting people yesterday. Bostic was one I thought would be doing alot of it, but that particular play when he needed to hit and wrap, he showed he was not aware where the first down marker was. I am sure the playing time is helping Jon, but I think the fans question whats between his ears and the staff is having him basically learn all 4 positions, middle strong, weak and nickel if you consider that separate position.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jet fans should not be blaming the refs. There were bad calls both ways. Once again it's the QB throwing awful int's and an inability to make a big stop on D even if they play well the majority of the game. Some of the offensive play calling was terrible as well. You can't make 2 major fuckups in the first few minutes and settle for FG's everytime you're in the red zone

Mikefive

KFFL Mod... SportsHoopla nobody
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jet fans should not be blaming the refs. There were bad calls both ways. Once again it's the QB throwing awful int's and an inability to make a big stop on D even if they play well the majority of the game. Some of the offensive play calling was terrible as well. You can't make 2 major fuckups in the first few minutes and settle for FG's everytime you're in the red zone
I agree that there were bad calls both ways. But we didn't have 7 points taken off the board over an undeserved "whoops". And that early PI call (that should've been a no call) was a big, big play. Sure, we had some bad calls go against us. But none were as big as those two. The Jets clearly drew the short straw from the officiating, even if there were other things their team did that they could also be upset about.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that there were bad calls both ways. But we didn't have 7 points taken off the board over an undeserved "whoops". And that early PI call (that should've been a no call) was a big, big play. Sure, we had some bad calls go against us. But none were as big as those two. The Jets clearly drew the short straw from the officiating, even if there were other things their team did that they could also be upset about.

Here's the big point though. The Jets didn't score on their last drive. If they scored, hit the two point conversion, and then won in OT... people would be talking about the phantom PI call on Bostic and the first down spot as TWO terrible calls that cost us the game.

Someone posted something interesting somewhere. "Winners win in spite of... Losers lose because of." The Jets had possession of the ball and a huge momentum swing after that fumble. They had the ball on our 45 yard line with 1:34 left in the half. What happened? 3 and out... the entire drive took 46 seconds from first down to punt.

Let's flip this... when Cutler hit Brandon Marshall for a TD it was called back for a hands to the face penalty on Ola. This not only nullified the TD, but it marched us back ten more yards. (By the way, I'm not saying that was a bad call... his hands did slide up into Wilkerson's facemask.) Two plays later Bennett catches the TD pass.

Last night... the Jets were the losers who lost because of... and we were the winners who won in spite of.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I understand but its the Jets. They would have just figured out another way to blow it

Mikefive

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the big point though. The Jets didn't score on their last drive. If they scored, hit the two point conversion, and then won in OT... people would be talking about the phantom PI call on Bostic and the first down spot as TWO terrible calls that cost us the game.

Someone posted something interesting somewhere. "Winners win in spite of... Losers lose because of." The Jets had possession of the ball and a huge momentum swing after that fumble. They had the ball on our 45 yard line with 1:34 left in the half. What happened? 3 and out... the entire drive took 46 seconds from first down to punt.

Let's flip this... when Cutler hit Brandon Marshall for a TD it was called back for a hands to the face penalty on Ola. This not only nullified the TD, but it marched us back ten more yards. (By the way, I'm not saying that was a bad call... his hands did slide up into Wilkerson's facemask.) Two plays later Bennett catches the TD pass.

Last night... the Jets were the losers who lost because of... and we were the winners who won in spite of.
You and I are kinda saying two different things. I merely said that we got more help from the officiating than they did. That is absolutely true and I don't know how that can be denied.

But the context of your response is... The officiating didn't lose the game for them. There are points to be made there and you made some of them. But that's not the question I was trying to answer.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You and I are kinda saying two different things. I merely said that we got more help from the officiating than they did. That is absolutely true and I don't know how that can be denied.

But the context of your response is... The officiating didn't lose the game for them. There are points to be made there and you made some of them. But that's not the question I was trying to answer.

What help are you referring to that we got? The PI call on Jeffrey's down field route and the whistle being blown dead prematurely on the fumble? Were there others? The no call on the Jet's final offensive play maybe? Of the three... there was contact preventing Jeffrey from going back for the ball (the armbar), and the coverage at the end was good by Vereen... I would disagree with the premise those were bad calls. The premature whistle... that sucked. I feel for the Jets on that one. But (and maybe I'm wearing my blue and orange glasses on this one) it sure looked like the officials were trying to make a TD happen for the Jets in the end with the spot and the PI call on Bostic.

To square these points with what you're saying... the whistle on the fumble hurt the Jets because they did not score. The calls on that last drive against us did not hurt us, because they did not score. We overcame the calls so it didn't hurt us... they didn't overcome the bad call so it DID hurt them. It sucks, but they had possession, time and field position to do something and they were punting 46 seconds later. That's on the Jets offense. Overall, we had 3 more penalties for 17 more yards than the Jets. We overcame.

Mikefive

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What help are you referring to that we got? The PI call on Jeffrey's down field route and the whistle being blown dead prematurely on the fumble? Were there others? The no call on the Jet's final offensive play maybe? Of the three... there was contact preventing Jeffrey from going back for the ball (the armbar), and the coverage at the end was good by Vereen... I would disagree with the premise those were bad calls. The premature whistle... that sucked. I feel for the Jets on that one. But (and maybe I'm wearing my blue and orange glasses on this one) it sure looked like the officials were trying to make a TD happen for the Jets in the end with the spot and the PI call on Bostic.

To square these points with what you're saying... the whistle on the fumble hurt the Jets because they did not score. The calls on that last drive against us did not hurt us, because they did not score. We overcame the calls so it didn't hurt us... they didn't overcome the bad call so it DID hurt them. It sucks, but they had possession, time and field position to do something and they were punting 46 seconds later. That's on the Jets offense. Overall, we had 3 more penalties for 17 more yards than the Jets. We overcame.
I don't agree with your logic. Just because we were able to overcome doesn't mean that the penalties didn't hurt. In the case of the Jets and that fumble that was ruled blown dead, they should have gotten 7 points by doing nothing else. Instead, they had to produce 46 yards of offense at that point in the game to get those points. Being forced to work harder than you deserve to HURTS your team. And the team that has to work the hardest to overcome the bad calls is hurt the worst. Whether you manage to score anyway is not relevant to the question.

Turning it around to our side as I'm more familiar with the Bears...
Would it make no difference to Brandon Marshall's ankle if the D scored a TD or if a bad call made the offense go out there and have to move the ball halfway down the field to gain those points? Did any injuries happen during that drive that didn't need to happen? What highlighted plays was Trestman keeping in his bag of tricks that he had to use on that scoring drive which he could've saved for later? Work is just not the same as no work.

On the PI penalty, on the replay it looked like both guys were hand fighting a bit. Thus, no call seems right to me. Maybe we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I didn't think Vereen's coverage on the last play was penalty worthy.

In any case, I think the loss of a TD was by far the most impactful bad call of the game and I'd say it had an equal or greater impact on the game than all the calls that benefitted them put together. Thus, they were hurt more than we were by the bad calls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree with your logic. Just because we were able to overcome doesn't mean that the penalties didn't hurt. In the case of the Jets and that fumble that was ruled blown dead, they should have gotten 7 points by doing nothing else. Instead, they had to produce 46 yards of offense at that point in the game to get those points. Being forced to work harder than you deserve to HURTS your team. And the team that has to work the hardest to overcome the bad calls is hurt the worst. Whether you manage to score anyway is not relevant to the question.

Turning it around to our side as I'm more familiar with the Bears...
Would it make no difference to Brandon Marshall's ankle if the D scored a TD or if a bad call made the offense go out there and have to move the ball halfway down the field to gain those points? Did any injuries happen during that drive that didn't need to happen? What highlighted plays was Trestman keeping in his bag of tricks that he had to use on that scoring drive which he could've saved for later? Work is just not the same as no work.

On the PI penalty, on the replay it looked like both guys were hand fighting a bit. Thus, no call seems right to me. Maybe we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I didn't think Vereen's coverage on the last play was penalty worthy.

In any case, I think the loss of a TD was by far the most impactful bad call of the game and I'd say it had an equal or greater impact on the game than all the calls that benefitted them put together. Thus, they were hurt more than we were by the bad calls.

If you're point is the suckiest of all things to happen last night regarding the officiating was blowing the ball dead too early on the fumble, I will concede that. Although if we lost on the heels of that final Jets drive where they got two mulligans, there would have been some spirited debate about that. We made those two calls a moot point when the rubber hit the road. They could have made the blown whistle a moot point as well, but they didn't.

Eleanor Roosevelt once said no one can make you feel small without your consent. In this case, the refs can't make the bad luck without a little help from the team.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing... Football is much about handling adversity. In our case we had to overcome mass injuries, bad calls and a hostile environment. The Jets also were tasked with overcoming some injuries (not as many, but some significant ones) and one terrible call. Their offensive play calling and execution prevented them from doing so while our play calling and execution on both sides of the ball were enough for us to slay our demons. There is no reason to apologize for this win. I'm not going to be one of those douchy fans who gloats about it, but I'm also not going to be the self-loathing fan who says we suck when we lose and we were lucky when we win (unless we really did suck or we didn't deserve to win). We deserved to win last night. You are allowed to be ok with that.