• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 3: Bears (2-0) at Atlanta (0-2)

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nagy went to Foles when the Bears were 2-0 and his QB already with a 4th Q comeback this season.

That means he was itching to do it the entire time and finally got a good reason.

Really itching to dive right into that slapass with genius this fast after the win eh? LOL

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my Lovie Smith voice....

“Nick Foles is our quarterback”

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, why not? It’s the funnest part of posting here.

But also...the logic is sound.

Ha! Oh I knew it was coming. I almost brought it up myself. Go get im lulz

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nagy went to Foles when the Bears were 2-0 and his QB already with a 4th Q comeback this season.

That means he was itching to do it the entire time and finally got a good reason.
Maybe. When you compare the two QBs and their strengths, I think you get the following:

- Trubisky has a prettier throwing motion. It is more effective when he is hitting his target of choice (more on that later)
- Trubisky sees the pash rush better than Foles
- Trubisky is a more elusive/agile rusher
- They are about even at breaking tackles and short yardage rushes
- They are about even at throwing on the run
- Foles is much better at seeing the field than Mitch is
- Foles goes through multiple progressions better than Mitch
- Foles is better at throwing without adequate time to complete his motion
- Foles is a faster decision maker than Mitch

The big problem for Mitch, and the best argument for Foles starting over Mitch, was exactly what he did on that interception. He focused in on one player. The defense knew what was happening and read him like a book to pick him.

I'm sure Nagy is like all of us. He wants Mitch to be able to read the field, and he has given him the chance to do that. If he could do that, he is probably the best QB on balance. That pick is exactly why he has lost the starting job. It simply can't happen. Mitch has a higher ceiling than Foles, which I think is why he is starting, but for whatever reason he can't see the field.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. When you compare the two QBs and their strengths, I think you get the following:

- Trubisky has a prettier throwing motion. It is more effective when he is hitting his target of choice (more on that later)
- Trubisky is a more elusive/agile rusher
- They are about even at breaking tackles and short yardage rushes
- They are about even at throwing on the run
- Foles is much better at seeing the field than Mitch is
- Foles goes through multiple progressions better than Mitch
- Foles is better at throwing without adequate time to complete his motion
- Foles is a faster decision maker than Mitch

The big problem for Mitch, and the best argument for Foles starting over Mitch, was exactly what he did on that interception. He focused in on one player. The defense knew what was happening and read him like a book to pick him.

I'm sure Nagy is like all of us. He wants Mitch to be able to read the field, and he has given him the chance to do that. If he could do that, he is probably the best QB on balance. That pick is exactly why he has lost the starting job. It simply can't happen. Mitch has a higher ceiling than Foles, which I think is why he is starting, but for whatever reason he can't see the field.
Pretty fair analysis, but you left out one huge deficit against Trubisky, and that's accuracy, especially accuracy on passes of more than 20 yards in the air. Trubs has a number of negatives on handling the QB duties, but accuracy has perhaps been his single biggest problem.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty fair analysis, but you left out one huge deficit against Trubisky, and that's accuracy, especially accuracy on passes of more than 20 yards in the air. Trubs has a number of negatives on handling the QB duties, but accuracy has perhaps been his single biggest problem.
I was trying to figure out how to post that. His horizontal accuracy isn't awful on deep balls, but he is really bad at getting distance right. The main reason for that is that his ideal pass is low and fast. On deep balls, that gives you a much smaller margin of error, and it also means that slight overthrows or underthrows are more likely to be picked.

Foles is much better at throwing the moon ball than Mitch is. Honestly, though, I am not sure his horizontal accuracy is as good.

I really hoped that Mitch would have developed that high-arching moon ball by now. He certainly has the arm talent to do it, but it hasn't come together yet. I'm not expecting him to be Rodgers, Wilson, or Mahomes, but he should at least be able to throw it as well as an average NFL starter. Right now, it isn't close.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Late from watching the game recorded but

HELL FUCKING YEAH
giphy.gif

That is all

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha! Oh I knew it was coming. I almost brought it up myself. Go get im lulz

"But I think that there's something here that we've just got to discuss and just go through and talk through the situation and understand there's these feelings that these kids are going through right now, and I think we just want to enjoy the win right now."

- Matt Nagy after today’s game.

It would appear the coach does take feelings into account.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears become the first team in NFL HISTORY to come from 16 or more down in the 4th quarter, twice in one season.

And they've done it twice in 3 games.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, when you think about it, Foles really could have had, maybe should have had 5 TD tosses today. The INT pass to Robinson in the endzone was a deja vu play from a similar INT last week against the Giants, where ARob had the catch literally taken out of his hands. And it was a very catchable ball from that first pass to Miller in the end zone where the review showed it ended up hitting the ground.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good and the bad

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh... Rather confusing on these two.

Even when you ask Nagy and Mitch themselves. The entire problem with Mitch is his passing mechanics, flushing into pressure, and moving out of the pocket when there is no pressure.

You'll be hard pressed to find a worse QB in the NFL at feeling/handling pressure than Mitch.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh... Rather confusing on these two.

Even when you ask Nagy and Mitch themselves. The entire problem with Mitch is his passing mechanics, flushing into pressure, and moving out of the pocket when there is no pressure.

You'll be hard pressed to find a worse QB in the NFL at feeling/handling pressure than Mitch.
I sure as hell hate to agree with that last sentence, but I'm afraid I have to do so. We all wanted Mitch to succeed. BTW, I'm not ready to completely write off the kid, even if he ends his career with the Bears after this season. He could very well be one of those types of QBs who needs a number of years riding pine studying the opposing defenses and watching how a steady, consistent QB operates. The NFL is historically loaded with QBs over time who have had to put in X number of years holding a clipboard before finally being able to showcase their talents. Mitch could be one of those.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure as hell hate to agree with that last sentence, but I'm afraid I have to do so. We all wanted Mitch to succeed. BTW, I'm not ready to completely write off the kid, even if he ends his career with the Bears after this season. He could very well be one of those types of QBs who needs a number of years riding pine studying the opposing defenses and watching how a steady, consistent QB operates. The NFL is historically loaded with QBs over time who have had to put in X number of years holding a clipboard before finally being able to showcase their talents. Mitch could be one of those.

I'm not optimistic for one simple reason: He simply isn't accurate. To me it all boils down to this. If there's a receiver open and Trubs has to hit him in stride or have any kind of touch on the ball, Trubs can't do it.

I don't buy the "he doesn't feel pressure" or "bad mechanics" bullshit. When it's going bad everyone picks a snapshot of a bad play and consider this the norm. Trubisky felt the pressure pretty good on that 45 yard run didn't he? If Trubisky is able to hit open receivers people would say "Trubisky is so good at feeling pressure".

You either have accuracy or you don't. Trubisky simply does not. And you can only get by for so long in this league not being able to hit open receivers.