• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 3: Bears (2-0) at Atlanta (0-2)

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 2 is officially in the books. Onto the next one.

Somehow, some way... we're 2-0. lol

I think everything sort of catches up with us this week in ATL, though. That team is coming off as bad of a loss as you could have, Dan Quinn's back on the hot seat, and they need this one in the worst way.

I think this is the one where we finally say "Ah, yeah, well... no shit. You couldn't keep winning the way we were."

Atlanta 27
Bears 16

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how we are going to stop their offense but Trubisky has a good shot of having a nice game. I hope we see Trubisky throw more on 1st down and use playaction a lot more throughout the entire game.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how we are going to stop their offense but Trubisky has a good shot of having a nice game. I hope we see Trubisky throw more on 1st down and use playaction a lot more throughout the entire game.
That was my primary beef from this last game. The play action was working beautifully for much of the 1st half. And then for whatever reasons (I call it a full 2nd half of playing not to lose), we almost completely abandoned it.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had it in my head this week was Indy. Not sure I like this better. Atlanta really blew their game vs Dallas this past week. Caught the end of that disaster after our game. You know it’s bad when they’re bringing up 28-3 during the game. They’re gonna get railed all week so probably play inspired this Sunday.

I’m still not sure what we are as a team, but it doesn’t feel like we’ve figured out much on O regardless of reasoning and our D has played worse...soooo....Be nice if the faithful gave us something to lean on this week for confidence going forward.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlanta plays an aggressive 4-3 Cover 2 defense under Raheem Morris.

Darqueze Dennard is a very physical nickel back.....wonder if Mooney can break his ankles and get free.

Really need a strong pass rush in this game.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlanta plays an aggressive 4-3 Cover 2 defense under Raheem Morris.

Darqueze Dennard is a very physical nickel back.....wonder if Mooney can break his ankles and get free.

Really need a strong pass rush in this game.

Not having one would feel real bad tbh...Because that's like...supposed to be our thing.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raheem Morris is one of the worst secondary coaches in history. It not a coincidence Atl's D is so putrid with him being in charge.

This podcast has the right formula for The Bears to win; run the ball to control the clock and keep Matt Ryan on the bench. Normally I would say the you don't want Mitch to have a shootout but The Falcons defense is so bad he may look like Peyton Manning against them?

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raheem Morris is one of the worst secondary coaches in history. It not a coincidence Atl's D is so putrid with him being in charge.

This podcast has the right formula for The Bears to win; run the ball to control the clock and keep Matt Ryan on the bench. Normally I would say the you don't want Mitch to have a shootout but The Falcons defense is so bad he may look like Peyton Manning against them?

Atlanta is definitely beatable...Hell, most every team is...but as always...only if we can, you know, score.

21 points in that glorious quarter vs the Lions and 17 in the first half vs. the Giants. Them's the Bears we need.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The key to every Bears win is David Montgomery.

The Offense should run through him. The Bears Offensive identity should be a strong running game to set up the pass, with a heavy dose of PA off the run.

I will give Nagy credit, he seems to somewhat have realized this, and seemingly has scrapped his wannabe Andy Reid manual. We are not the Chiefs, nor do we need to be. We have a better defense. We don't need to put up 40 a game to win.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy balls. Any of you guys see that hoss we signed to replace Jenkins? Dude's like Big Cat DT version.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The key to every Bears win is David Montgomery.

The Offense should run through him. The Bears Offensive identity should be a strong running game to set up the pass, with a heavy dose of PA off the run.

I will give Nagy credit, he seems to somewhat have realized this, and seemingly has scrapped his wannabe Andy Reid manual. We are not the Chiefs, nor do we need to be. We have a better defense. We don't need to put up 40 a game to win.

They need to chill out with so many Patterson and Cohen so many runs and give some those carries to Montgomery. You can establish pass/run deception in less plays than they've been throwing out there with those 2. 20 carries per game should be it.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy balls. Any of you guys see that hoss we signed to replace Jenkins? Dude's like Big Cat DT version.
Dan McCullers looks like he should be an abusive player to OL, but he was a tremendous disappointment in Pittsburgh. He takes up space, but that's about it.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@Superbelt pretty much covered it. He did look somewhat better the last few years in run support but he’s just not much else but an immovable force. He rarely penetrates the backfield, and if he does he’s not agile enough to get to anyone. He’s great on the goal line though for obvious reasons. He’s not giving up an inch.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dan McCullers looks like he should be an abusive player to OL, but he was a tremendous disappointment in Pittsburgh. He takes up space, but that's about it.

We have a solid DT (Eddie Goldman) that sat out the season for the Covid and now his backup plan is injured. We're digging for the rare gold with this one...so sounds about right. Go for physical ability and hope he can make some plays with Quinn/Hicks/Mack getting most of the attention.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@Superbelt pretty much covered it. He did look somewhat better the last few years in run support but he’s just not much else but an immovable force. He rarely penetrates the backfield, and if he does he’s not agile enough to get to anyone. He’s great on the goal line though for obvious reasons. He’s not giving up an inch.

Bears just need a body.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That actually sounds good to me because our other guys on the line are more than capable of picking up pass rush slack (in a big way)...so as long as he's good holding down the run in the middle I can dig it....

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears just need a body.
He's not terrible by any means. Pittsburgh has a lot of talent along the DL, and moved beyond needing him.

Having someone that can't be moved is an asset, but he just doesn't bring anything else to the table.

Lemiwinks31

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my primary beef from this last game. The play action was working beautifully for much of the 1st half. And then for whatever reasons (I call it a full 2nd half of playing not to lose), we almost completely abandoned it.
Nagy has a short history of not stepping on throats. They do this on both sides of the ball. Nothing wrong with still playing agressive D and creating turnovers when you are up 17. On O, maybe its that he doesnt trust Trubisky, but give him a shot. He had a good rhythm going in the 1st half....then, run, run, 3rd and long.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not terrible by any means. Pittsburgh has a lot of talent along the DL, and moved beyond needing him.

Having someone that can't be moved is an asset, but he just doesn't bring anything else to the table.
The Steelers liked him enough to keep him for the full four years of his rookie contract and then offer him a one-year deal followed by a two-year deal and then even after cutting him one year into that they still kept him around as insurance on their practice squad.

The Steelers defense has generally been strong against the run, so he may have just lost out in a numbers game and be a solid rotational guy that can help upgrade the middle of the Bears line on run plays.

Steelers run defense in the years Daniel McCullers has been with the team:

2020: 133 yards, (1st), 2.9ypc (2nd)
2019: 1,753 yards (14th), 3.8yc (3rd)
2018: 1,538 yards (6th), 4.2pyc (9th)
2017: 1,693 yards (10th), 4.4ypc (27th)
2016: 1,600 yards (13th), 4.3ypc (18th)
2015: 1,459 yards (5th), 3.8ypc (6th)
2014: 1,605 yards (6th), 4.4ypc (25th).

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not all that much to do with him though.

Dan McCullers Defensive Snap %:
2019: 12.08%
2018: 10.63%
2017: 1.33%
2016: 17.4%
2015: 9.47%
2014: 6.36%

Now, part of this is he had Javon Hargrave in front of him taking up most of the DT snaps, who was amazing. Hargrave was always in the high 40's to 60+% of defensive snaps. Dan was never much more than a situational player who went in to give Javon a breather. Steelers also spent most of their time in two DL, usually Heyward and Tuitt or Hargrave.

With Javon gone, he couldn't even crack the roster this time. Conditioning and motor are his problems.

Again, he isn't terrible. If you need a body, a rotational guy, you could do much worse.