• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 19, The Los Angeles Rams (6) @ Green Bay Packers (1), Saturday, 01/16/21, 1:35 PM ST

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly don't think we were one of the best 8 teams in the NFL this year, so we were playing with house money.

Would have been cool to see Rodgers struggle a little like we saw Wilson last week, but their OL is much, much better than the Hags, and their running game is about as good as it gets in the NFL, then Rodgers to the rescue when they need him, forget about it....

Forget About It GIFs | Tenor

Their DL racks havoc and our OL was no match in pass pro, the Packs defense is not too far off par with ours, the real deference in this game was the Packers Run game and the Rams defense inability to create a turnover. Our best chance was that fumble we forced that went right to Rodgers, had the ball bounced our way, deep on their side of the field we could have been a play away from tying it up 25-25 late in the 4th.
This is actually a nice compliment considering the Packers defense started the year off giving up a shit load of points. The run defense still needs work but they managed to improve on stopping teams from scoring at will.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there plan was to shut down Adams which they did, but then they left their roll players wide open. GB has 3 WRs at 6'5"< Ive always wished we had a guy like that and can run
9 rec for 66 yds and a TD isn’t exactly shutting down Adams.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if you trade Watson for Goff straight up who doesn't want to be in Texas then it can be done ?

I’m not a cap expert on how all of that works but if we trade Goff, we’d have a ton of dead money against the cap and Watson’s big contract to pay on top of that. Don’t know how we’d be able to make that work with all the high salaries we already have on this team.
Yeah, who is an expert?

I know this, Watson has a much larger contract and they both signed for 4 years... Watson signed his deal this season (2020) for $156 million, where Goff's deal was signed last season (2019) for $134 million.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, who is an expert?

I know this, Watson has a much larger contract and they both signed for 4 years... Watson signed his deal this season (2020) for $156 million, where Goff's deal was signed last season (2019) for $134 million.
Hopefully Les Snead is. We’d have a lot of dead cap space if we traded Goff right? I figured it be a very sizable amount since I thought cutting Gurley last offseason was going to contribute to the dead cap space for a couple of years and adding Goff to that would make it extremely high.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is actually a nice compliment considering the Packers defense started the year off giving up a shit load of points. The run defense still needs work but they managed to improve on stopping teams from scoring at will.
Yes, the Rams defense too was not stellar to begin the year. They weren't top 10 the year prior under Wade Phillips and struggled implementing the new DC's (Brandon Staley) vision, but much as your Packers, came on strong to close out the season. Had the offensive lines and running games been even, I can't say I'm confident your Packers are playing next week. I do think the back end of your defense is every bit as good as the Rams, and I think a lot of the Ramsey and company.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully Les Snead is. We’d have a lot of dead cap space if we traded Goff right? I figured it be a very sizable amount since I thought cutting Gurley last offseason was going to contribute to the dead cap space for a couple of years and adding Goff to that would make it extremely high.
Watson is a better fit with our offensive line (Aging, and lacking true Pass Pro talent) that and the lack of a consistant 'season long' running game.

As far as the contract goes, If Houston cuts ties with Watson, they likely wont take on a contract like Goff's straight up. I think they stand to lose more dead money since Watson signed a larger contract and has an extra year. The Texans would probably be looking for draft picks, requiring the Rams to find a trade partner or jettisoning Goff off in different deal. Either way, there's gonna be dead money for both teams.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson is perfect quarterback for this team and would be a good upgrade. He almost threw for 5000 yards and 33 TDs after losing arguably the best wr in the league.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson is a better fit with our offensive line (Aging, and lacking true Pass Pro talent) that and the lack of a consistant 'season long' running game.

As far as the contract goes, If Houston cuts ties with Watson, they likely wont take on a contract like Goff's straight up. I think they stand to lose more dead money since Watson signed a larger contract and has an extra year. The Texans would probably be looking for draft picks, requiring the Rams to find a trade partner or jettisoning Goff off in different deal. Either way, there's gonna be dead money for both teams.
One thing I’m tired of is us trading away draft picks. This will be what, the fourth or fifth year in a row that we haven’t had a first round pick? And you know Houston is going to want some first rounders for him and aren’t going to go stupid like they did in some of those O’Brien trades the past couple of years where they gave up a lot.
As for a better fit, that doesn’t say a whole lot in my opinion. There’s plenty of guys in the league and coming out in the draft that’d be a better fit than Goff.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s plenty of guys in the league and coming out in the draft that’d be a better fit than Goff.
And ironically none of the remaining NFC QB's are a good fit either for this Rams offense.

Goff, like Rodgers, Brees and Brady, all do great with a clean pocket and a great running game.

The Pack had nearly the entire Rams rushing production today shortly after the first quarter, and nearly doubled the Rams effort by games end.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I’m tired of is us trading away draft picks. This will be what, the fourth or fifth year in a row that we haven’t had a first round pick? And you know Houston is going to want some first rounders for him and aren’t going to go stupid like they did in some of those O’Brien trades the past couple of years where they gave up a lot.
As for a better fit, that doesn’t say a whole lot in my opinion. There’s plenty of guys in the league and coming out in the draft that’d be a better fit than Goff.
We've drafting pretty good without 1st rounders, big contracts for guys that don't mostly pan out

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've drafting pretty good without 1st rounders, big contracts for guys that don't mostly pan out
Do I mind giving up the two first rounders for JR, not at the moment because so far, he’s been a great CB for us. What I’m not a fan of is going half a decade or more without a first round pick.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And ironically none of the remaining NFC QB's are a good fit either for this Rams offense.

Goff, like Rodgers, Brees and Brady, all do great with a clean pocket and a great running game.

The Pack had nearly the entire Rams rushing production today shortly after the first quarter, and nearly doubled the Rams effort by games end.
A lot of those rushing yards were also due to the fact that the defense looked like they thought it was a flag football game today instead of tackle.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like this year, the offense took a step backwards. There just never seemed to be any sort of rhythm like we’ve had previous years. Whether it’s the play calling, Goff or whatever else, there was no real innovation or excitement. More like just going through the motions. Now the defense more than held up their end of the bargain for most of the year. Interested in seeing how the offseason and draft play out and whether or not we have to get another defensive coordinator.
McVay has become too predictable and refuses to run the ball more.

why are there almost no RB screens? McVay barely threw the ball to RB’s this year. He does know Akers is one of the best at breaking tackles, etc, right? Utilize him like Gurley. So stupid not to implement that into the offense and keep defenses on their toes.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McVay has become too predictable and refuses to run the ball more.

why are there almost no RB screens? McVay barely threw the ball to RB’s this year. He does know Akers is one of the best at breaking tackles, etc, right? Utilize him like Gurley. So stupid not to implement that into the offense and keep defenses on their toes.
I feel like McVay needs to hire someone to take over as OC. The offense felt stagnant this year and needs a change. That way, McVay can focus on other things and let someone else be in charge of calling the plays, someone who might see things that McVay hasn’t been seeing.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like McVay needs to hire someone to take over as OC. The offense felt stagnant this year and needs a change. That way, McVay can focus on other things and let someone else be in charge of calling the plays, someone who might see things that McVay hasn’t been seeing.
Ummmm, he did last year just about a year ago. He hired both DC Staley and OC O'Connell both in their 1st year NFL Coordinator roles.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of those rushing yards were also due to the fact that the defense looked like they thought it was a flag football game today instead of tackle.
So before today, a lot of those QB's you're referring to are in the mold of Lamar Jackson....

Trust me, before today many of you would take Jackson over Goff because many of you would take Wolford over Goff and none of us would take Wolford over Jackson...

:lol:

Goff looked a lot better in Week 3 than Jackson has today vs the same Bills team, and a lot better today vs that pretty tough Packers defense he faced.

Wish I could say the same thing about our OL's run blocking in the 1st quarter, and pass blocking in the 4th quarter.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummmm, he did last year just about a year ago. He hired both DC Staley and OC O'Connell both in their 1st year NFL Coordinator roles.
Then either one of two things needs to happen:
1. We need a new OC because this guy just wasn't good.
2. He was an OC in name only and McVay couldn't fully relinquish control, which he should do.

So before today, a lot of those QB's you're referring to are in the mold of Lamar Jackson....

Trust me, before today many of you would take Jackson over Goff because many of you would take Wolford over Goff and none of us would take Wolford over Jackson...

:lol:

Goff looked a lot better in Week 3 than Jackson has today vs the same Bills team, and a lot better today vs that pretty tough Packers defense he faced.

Wish I could say the same thing about our OL's run blocking in the 1st quarter, and pass blocking in the 4th quarter.
I've never been a fan of the Lamar Jackson, running/mobile style QB. But if people want to go that route with a QB, then why not give Bryce Perkins a chance? He wouldn't cost a lot and has played behind way worse offensive lines than this when he was at UVA (I know because his senior year, I watched all of their games and they couldn't block for shit and he was running for his life just about every passing play) and was the only worthwhile runner on the team (the QB has been the leading rusher for their teams the past three seasons). He's able to make a lot of plays with his feet and has had all of this year to recover from all the hits he took during college, so he should be fresh.
The complaints about the offensive line are why me and a lot of other people I remember on here (not sure if you were one of them or not) were angry that we waited until the end of the draft last year to finally draft an offensive lineman. To me, they're like what pitchers are to a baseball team, you can never have enough of them as far as I'm concerned.