• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 1 - Denver Broncos at Seattle Seahawks

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The regular season is finally almost here. The Broncos head out to the Pacific Northwest to take on the Seahawks.

Seattle has undergone a fair amount of upheaval, as they moved on from Pete Carroll. Hard to know what to expect with a new coaching staff. Geno Smith is a serviceable QB but doesn't strike fear into the hearts of his opponents. Seattle has long been known for ferocious defenses and the crowd noise will definitely be a factor. The 12's will be screamin'.

All eyes will be on our rookie QB and how he handles the pressure of his first, live-action NFL game. Obviously, he'll be up against a starting caliber defense but I still expect his experience in college to shine through as he handles his business. Excited to see this new team on the field for an entire game.

Losing to Seattle with such a young team on the road would not surprise me, nor would it be the end of the world. I think we all just want to see a team that's uber competitive and growing.

I can't wait for this game! Go Broncos!

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have the bad taste from two years ago in my mouth when Russell Wilson and company laid an egg.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have the bad taste from two years ago in my mouth when Russell Wilson and company laid an egg.
And the really funny thing was - that egg was one of their best games of the season.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do have a QB who has played a number of big games in Seattle as the bad guy opponent.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would fit Sean Payton's sense of humor to sneak Troy Franklin in for several targets with Nix (something the Broncos stayed suspiciously away from in pre-season) just to pull off a joker big play. I don't buy the theory that Franklin needs to bone up as an inactive before he's ready. It may be true in terms of knowing the playbook as well as Payton wants it, but this guy can run route and make dynamic plays and has timing with the QB.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 1 is always hard to predict, and week 1 with a rookie starting is even harder. Nix looked to have transitioned from college to NFL pre-season well enough, but regular season is a whole new thing so I am not going to panic if the offense doesn't light up the scoreboard right away. Also, I am very curious to see how our defense looks. I'm on record as being a skeptic but I've also seen some analysis that gives me a little hope.

Seattle is a hard place to play, but maybe our defense is better than I expect and can keep it close?

It's early in the season and I prefer optimism, so I am going to say Broncos 20, Seahawks 17.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the things about a younger team like this is they don't know they are supposed to lose.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the things about a younger team like this is they don't know they are supposed to lose.
11-6 would be epic!

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11-6 would be epic!
Bo Nix will redefine the QB position in the NFL. He will be Sean Payton at the QB position - executing Sean Payton the HC's plays and game plan.

The trend in the NFL has been to get a very mobile QB - like Mahomes - who can make plays when the called play breaks down. So, you have Hurts, Jackson, Allen, Stroud, Richardson and Murray.

Nix can do that - but Nix's top job will be to execute the plays - not to fix plays that break down - but to increase the percentage of plays that are executed well. When you do that - it is only a handful times during a game when Nix will try to make a play to score - or get a 1st down. What's fun about QB who make plays when one breaks down - is that's also when they are most likely to cause a turnover - or a penalty on their team. The goal would be to become the NFL Jokic - who makes everyone better and brings it when the game demands it.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d love it if you are proven right, my friend. But that’s a pretty bold prediction for a guy who has yet to take a snap in the NFL.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d love it if you are proven right, my friend. But that’s a pretty bold prediction for a guy who has yet to take a snap in the NFL.
Somebody has to shine a light on the future for you Springy - so you won't complain about finding out about it on the internet the day after it happens. You are good at denial - my friend.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both teams are relatively unpredictable:
  • Week one is always a crap shoot on what the other team has planned for you. They've had all summer to prepare some new wrinkles
  • New, defensive minded, rookie, head coach in Seattle
  • Denver starting a rookie QB and several other 1st and 2nd year players
  • New kickoff format could provide some unknown fireworks
I think the game will be entertaining and competitive. Sean Payton will have the Broncos ready to play but Seattle is such a tough place to kick off the season, on the road, with a rookie QB. I won't be surprised by either team winning but I think the Seahawks have the edge in this one.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every player on our 53 man roster is practicing.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was probably one of the strangest games I have ever watched. Broncos outplayed Seattle by quite a bit. Close to 200 yards more on offense and looked like they should have blown Seattle out. Two big fumbles on the goal line taking 14 points off the scoreboard and then a bungled end of the game situation by the coaching staff essentially took 17 points off the board leading to a 1 point loss.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey everyone. Thought I would stop by. Keep forgetting to check in here every once in a while. Very excited for the season with a lot of new hope. Players talking about the locker room being the closest they have ever been a part of is great to hear and this young and hungry team looks well coached and ready to go. Obviously need to see if all that translates to wins on the field but I at least feel like this is a team with a purpose/direction.

Seattle is definitely a tough place to start the year but honestly it could be worse. Bo Nix has played in I would say even louder crowds than Seattle with his time in the SEC and even the Pac-12 with some of their stadium sizes. If anything I'm more worried about other players struggling in that environment than that of Nix.

Just hoping that Payton has a plan to get Nix into a rhythm early. Get him some early easy reads and quick hits to get him confident and then unleash more as the game unfolds. Maybe start out with some RPO's that he really only has to key off a couple of guys what to do with the football would be my early gameplan.

Here's to hoping Seattle's coaching staff has some of those rookie coach struggles like we got to experience a couple of years ago giving the Broncos a nice leg up.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sean Payton knows how to manage a good Strength and Conditioning staff. I have been saying for years - soft tissue injuries are controllable with the correct hydration. Think how many more snaps you can get out of your players if they aren't pulling Hammies all the time.

The Seahawks have some very good CBs - so I think it will be a good time for Bo Nix and Greg Dulcich to show they are best friends on the field. A deep target or two to Franklin would also not surprise me.

I think the QB roll out and reverse roll out are coming back with Bo Nix - he is downfield money on the roll out plays - the roll out is also a good platform to make a dash for a 1st down or something productive.

I also expect a more than average attempt to make short passes to the RBs - I don't think the Seahawks can defend that.

jon2tanman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,129.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss the old AFC West rivals, however I think Denver won't be very good this year and Seattle wins by 10.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's wait till the injury report comes out this weekend before we start praising them.