• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Warriors-Spurs Prediction

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has historical significance though... We all know the playoffs are the most important, but every year a champion is crowned, it's not every year a team wins 72 games... 2nd time EVER! I hope they get 73...

I understand and agree with the historical significance. But it still doesn't matter as to what will happen in a 7 game playoff series.

Look at this way: How important and/or historically significant is that record if the Warriors don't win the championship?

Do you think Patriots and their fans would rather have the 16-0 season or the Super Bowl trophy they didn't get that season?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand and agree with the historical significance. But it still doesn't matter as to what will happen in a 7 game playoff series.

Look at this way: How important and/or historically significant is that record if the Warriors don't win the championship?

Do you think Patriots and their fans would rather have the 16-0 season or the Super Bowl trophy they didn't get that season?

Judging from all the multiple threads on this, there is a consensus that the Warriors will never be considered in the same category of the Bulls, regardless if they break the record and win a championship.

For historical context, breaking the record is much more significant than winning the championship. Not saying they should sacrifice one for the other, but the Bulls record was thought to be untouchable. Now they're at worst tied, with one game to go.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judging from all the multiple threads on this, there is a consensus that the Warriors will never be considered in the same category of the Bulls, regardless if they break the record and win a championship.

For historical context, breaking the record is much more significant than winning the championship. Not saying they should sacrifice one for the other, but the Bulls record was thought to be untouchable. Now they're at worst tied, with one game to go.

I disagree. If the Warriors break the record and win the title, they are at the very least, solidly in the conversation with the Bulls.

If they break the record and don't win the title, not only do they stay forever behind the 72-10 Bulls, they don't even get to be in the conversation with the 69-13 Lakers team whose record the Bulls broke.

Think about it. The Patriots reached 18-0 and that team is all but forgotten because they couldn't finish the job. Had they won the Super Bowl, they are probably widely considered the best team in history. At the very least, they're solidly in the conversation.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. If the Warriors break the record and win the title, they are at the very least, solidly in the conversation with the Bulls.

If they break the record and don't win the title, not only do they stay forever behind the 72-10 Bulls, they don't even get to be in the conversation with the 69-13 Lakers team whose record the Bulls broke.

Think about it. The Patriots reached 18-0 and that team is all but forgotten because they couldn't finish the job. Had they won the Super Bowl, they are probably widely considered the best team in history. At the very least, they're solidly in the conversation.

I get what you're saying, so let me clarify my stance.

I fully hope for the Warriors to win a championship, but I don't believe it will be at the expense of winning this last game or not resting players more.

The chance to get this record comes once in a lifetime. As a Warriors fan who experience such shitty years for so long, this is like a dream come true. Will it be disappointing if the worst happens and the Warriors don't win the championship? Absolutely. But as a fan of the Warriors, I'll remember this season for the rest of my life as one of, if not, the greatest season ever for ME.

I'm not concerned about what the average fan thinks about the Warriors in terms of historical greatness. I'm more just appreciative of the quality of basketball I've been able to see on a nightly basis.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's actually more rest between games in a playoffs series. There is always a day off between games and usually there is at least 2 days off between at least 1 of the games and sometimes 2 games
Yes I'm familiar with the playoff schedule- but for a team like the Spurs sometimes that's not enough rest. Just my opinion though.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they mean a ton in terms of confidence or a lack thereof in some cases.

One thing veteran teams like Spurs will do is never lack confidence. It may have boost the Warriors confidence but the Spurs confidence is just fine

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I fully hope for the Warriors to win a championship, but I don't believe it will be at the expense of winning this last game or not resting players more.

The chance to get this record comes once in a lifetime. As a Warriors fan who experience such shitty years for so long, this is like a dream come true. Will it be disappointing if the worst happens and the Warriors don't win the championship? Absolutely. But as a fan of the Warriors, I'll remember this season for the rest of my life as one of, if not, the greatest season ever for ME.

I'm not concerned about what the average fan thinks about the Warriors in terms of historical greatness. I'm more just appreciative of the quality of basketball I've been able to see on a nightly basis.

Oh, I agree 100% that they should chase the record. It's right there in their grasp and they are young enough that rest shouldn't be an issue. I actually hope the Warriors get the record. Wanting to see them get it is why in the "Which game would you rather go to" thread, I chose the Warriors going after number 73 over Kobe's last game.

I do understand your point re: yourself as a Warriors fan. For me though, I look at it a little different. I became a Lakers fan in 1970, so I saw the 1972 Lakers go 69-13 and hold that record for a long, long time. For me, it wouldn't have been nearly as significant if they hadn't won the title. Regular season records are great and all, but from a historical perspective, championships are what's most important.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they mean a ton in terms of confidence or a lack thereof in some cases.

I know a lot of fans think that way. But it really doesn't mean much, especially against an experienced team like the Spurs. It might make the Warriors a little more confident in themselves, but it won't affect the Spurs confidence even a little bit. They've already seen it all.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Heat and Spurs played their back to back finals, they played each other 4 times in the regular season. The Heat won 3 of those games and I believe maybe one of them was a close game.

Yet, when they met in the finals, the Heat barely escaped with a title in the first series and were completely dominated in the 2nd. Some Heat fans were saying many of the same things you have about the Spurs matching up with the Heat before both series.

I'm not saying the Warriors can't or won't beat them. I'm just saying that anyone who thinks that the Warriors are just going to run over the Spurs and that Duncan won't effect the series may find themselves very disappointed when the series is over.
I've never counted the Spurs out- certainly never thought or SAID they would be an easy win. I'm not the one who predicted the Warriors would win in 5 or 6. Honestly, I think these two teams would take each other to 7 games if they meet up.

And, when the Heat played them they didn't have the team that the Warriors have. They had LBJ, Bosh & a banged up Wade. Yes they were a force but not the same force the Warriors are. The Warriors entire starting lineup can score, pass & defend.

As already mentioned, if the Spurs don't find a way to crack the code-also known as the Warriors' defense- and find a way to score they're not going to win. I don't care how many nights off in between games they get.

One thing each of those games they've played thus far taught us is that they can't score against the Warriors like they do against other teams. And coupled with the Warriors being the TOP offensive team in the league will make it a VERY tall task for the Spurs to win.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a lot of fans think that way. But it really doesn't mean much, especially against an experienced team like the Spurs. It might make the Warriors a little more confident in themselves, but it won't affect the Spurs confidence even a little bit. They've already seen it all.
Probably true and if they don't find a way to beat the Warriors they'll be watching them repeat-which by the way is something they haven't been able to do themselves.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably true and if they don't find a way to beat the Warriors they'll be watching them repeat-which by the way is something they haven't been able to do themselves.

No doubt and I've never said that the Warriors won't win the series. I see it as a tossup. I just know that regular season results mean very little when it comes to the playoffs. Especially with a seasoned team like the Spurs.

Not sure what the Spurs not repeating has to do with anything, especially since they won't be looking for a repeat.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

See I just don't understand how if they don't win a title that somehow should make their achievement of winning the most reg season games in history less significant. If they do win the title yes I agree that would be the cherry on top of making history.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Very well said.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See I just don't understand how if they don't win a title that somehow should make their achievement of winning the most reg season games in history less significant. If they do win the title yes I agree that would be the cherry on top of making history.

Because it's about finishing the journey:

1971-72 Lakers: 69-13 won the championship.
1995-96 Bulls: 72-10 won the championship
2015-16 Warriors: 73-9 lost in the WCF or finals

They wouldn't have finished the journey.

Again, look at the Patriots team that went 18-0 before losing the Super Bowl. No team in NFL history has ever reached 18-0 other than that team. But, they finished 18-1 and on the rare occasions that anyone talks about that team, it's to point out how they didn't finish the job, not what a great regular season they had.

How do you think the Warriors players will feel if they set the record, but don't win the championship?

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt and I've never said that the Warriors won't win the series. I see it as a tossup. I just know that regular season results mean very little when it comes to the playoffs. Especially with a seasoned team like the Spurs.

Not sure what the Spurs not repeating has to do with anything, especially since they won't be looking for a repeat.
I get as fans we all have different perspectives of what we're seeing happen in front of us. But I just disagree about the reg season series meaning nothing. Even a couple of players have commented on it when asked-what it means to win the series.

The Spurs not being able to repeat was just something I threw in there since they've seen it all. I think that's an interesting fact since they've always been received as a great team- some would even call them a dynasty.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it's about finishing the journey:

1971-72 Lakers: 69-13 won the championship.
1995-96 Bulls: 72-10 won the championship
2015-16 Warriors: 73-9 lost in the WCF or finals

They wouldn't have finished the journey.

Again, look at the Patriots team that went 18-0 before losing the Super Bowl. No team in NFL history has ever reached 18-0 other than that team. But, they finished 18-1 and on the rare occasions that anyone talks about that team, it's to point out how they didn't finish the job, not what a great regular season they had.

How do you think the Warriors players will feel if they set the record, but don't win the championship?
And I get that is something that would no doubt put their accomplishment over the top. However, we must consider that reg season records and post season records are kept separate for a reason.

IMO if they don't win the title in no way does that diminishe their reg season accomplishment. In fact, it will still be in the history book & will be the standing record until another team breaks it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get as fans we all have different perspectives of what we're seeing happen in front of us. But I just disagree about the reg season series meaning nothing. Even a couple of players have commented on it when asked-what it means to win the series.

The Spurs not being able to repeat was just something I threw in there since they've seen it all. I think that's an interesting fact since they've always been received as a great team- some would even call them a dynasty.

The only thing more difficult than winning a championship in the NBA, is repeating as champions. However, almost as difficult, is maintaining the level of excellence that the Spurs have over the past 20 years or so. If they win the title this season, the Spurs will have their 6th championship in 20 years. That is dynasty level stuff. The fact that they will have won that many championships over that period of time without repeating is actually pretty amazing because of the level of excellence they have had to maintain.

As I said, it may help the Warriors confidence a little, but it doesn't mean a thing to the Spurs. They will be just as confident as they would be if they had swept the regular season series from the Warriors.

Look at the Lakers over that same period of time. Sure, they have the same number of titles that the Spurs currently have and have both a 3-peat and back to back on their resume', but I'd say that over that 20 year period, the Spurs have been the more consistent team as far as always being in the playoff/title mix and doing it with many of the same core players.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO if they don't win the title in no way does that diminishe their reg season accomplishment. In fact, it will still be in the history book & will be the standing record until another team breaks it.

It might be in the history books, but it will also always be looked at as "what might have been" and the Warriors will never be in that greatest team conversation with the '72 Lakers and '95 Bulls because they didn't finish the job.

I get that some fans will praise the fact that they broke the record and be happy. But most people and most importantly, the players and coaches, will always see it as not getting the job done.