• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Warriors 2.0: from Showtime Lakers to the Spurs

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All very much in the wheelhouse of Jordan in his prime. No I'm not saying they are as good as Jordan for pete's sake.

Dray has grown up a lot. He's fiery and so on (we all loved Barkley for that, didn't we?) but he learned to stop kicking guys in the nuts, and he doesn't get suspensions anymore. He's the guy you hate if he's on the other team but you'd LOVE him as a Celtic.

Most players prime years last until about 32. Both Steph and Klay's games should age fairly well (at least on offense). Obviously, as each year passes, it will get more difficult for them. But as long as Steph and Klay don't have "falling off a cliff" declines and they do a good job with the role players they add, they should stay in contention for a few more years. Dray would be the one who concerns me. His game won't age as well.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most players prime years last until about 32. Both Steph and Klay's games should age fairly well (at least on offense). Obviously, as each year passes, it will get more difficult for them. But as long as Steph and Klay don't have "falling off a cliff" declines and they do a good job with the role players they add, they should stay in contention for a few more years. Dray would be the one who concerns me. His game won't age as well.

Fair points. The Spurs won a couple rings when their core was well past 30. That's all I'm saying here. Like the Spurs big 3, the Ws will need younger support, and they will have it. Will it get them another ring or two? We'll see!

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK the Walton thing is irrelevant and you know it.

And no one is saying Kerr = Pop. But my gosh is Popovich the last good coach? Can't another coach also be good?

Nick Nurse seems to be a pretty good coach. Brad Steven's is good too.

The Walton remark IS relevant to show how good the team is without Kerr. You get two of the best shooters in NBA history and even Wiggy could lead them to the finals

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well sure they are, just like Klay is better than Anthony Davis.

The Walton remark IS relevant to show how good the team is without Kerr. You get two of the best shooters in NBA history and even Wiggy could lead them to the finals[/QUOTE

not so sure about the Wiggy factor. That clown's nonstop drivel would probably bring any team down...

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK can we skip the lame troll moves? No one's feelings are hurt, I'm 49 years old and we're just talking about sports, there are no tears involved, you should know by now I'm not the guy to come at like that. We're just talking here. You missed my point, I totally agree the Ws are not even close to favorites this year. I was making a case that their new model is the Spurs model. It might work once or twice, it might not. But is my point valid? Do you want to have a discussion or go with "OMG you are so crying and lame and I pwned you LOLLLLZZZ!!!" ?

Your post was about how the dynasty was over (true) and how they won't be starting another (also true). My point is they are trying to be the Spurs, in the mix every year for a while. Hence, you missed the point.

I was addressing your claim that the W's could win 1 ring or even 2 rings over the next 5 years. You responded with a lame troll move then I respond in kind and you get upset. You obviously can't take any negative criticism regarding your team. If you cared to read my post, I made some salient points as to why the Ws will struggle to even be a contender for the next 5 years. Instead of acting like a homer, tells us how the Ws plan to match-up with the new improved West when they are much worse than 2016 when they lost in the finals. And give me something better than they will find "their own Kawhi" ...LOL.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would have thought @CitySushi would like this post/thread, and add to it, but he seems to not like me being another frequent-posting Warriors fan. :noidea:

Too bad, he's a great poster.

His solution was to trade for Drummond...lol..I don't think you want dumb takes like that trashing up this thread.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By then they will be....pretty old.

Which is why they have around 5 years BEFORE they get old. They're not old yet. They have the next few years with the core signed up to try to win another one or two. Like the Spurs did.

@LebronLakers is stuck on the fact that the Warriors aren't the big dog anymore, which is true. They probably don't win this year although their chances aren't much worse than the other 5-6 contenders. In fact they probably have as much chance as say Boston, or Utah, or Denver, etc. And maybe it's some other teams turn to have injuries bite them. But my thesis is about how their model has gone from dominant all time great team to one of a handful of contenders. For the next 4-5 years that's who they are.

These bookies have them at 6th best chance even this year, behind the LA teams, Milwaukee, Houston, and Philly. I'm excited to see how this 'New Spurs' model plays out.

Odds to Win the 2020 NBA Championship Finals

But yeah I don't think @CitySushi likes me. Don't know why, I've never come at him LOL

LOL...you still have hopes of them winning it this year? Oh man, that's why I have to call out your ridiculous homer posts. Klay will be gone for half the season and who knows what he will be like when he gets back. You better just hope they make the playoffs, that alone will be a struggle.

Last edited:

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are grossly overestimating Steve Kerr.

I mean even Luke Walton went 39-4 with the Warriors.

I like Kerr but he doesn't hold a candle to Pop

Kerr is one of the overrated coaches in recent memory. That team basically ran itself, that's why Luke could take over and not miss a beat.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was addressing your claim that the W's could win 1 ring or even 2 rings over the next 5 years. You responded with a lame troll move then I respond in kind and you get upset. You obviously can't take any negative criticism regarding your team. If you cared to read my post, I made some salient points as to why the Ws will struggle to even be a contender for the next 5 years. Instead of acting like a homer, tells us how the Ws plan to match-up with the new improved West when they are much worse than 2016 when they lost in the finals. And give me something better than they will find "their own Kawhi" ...LOL.
Upset? Ok I guess you don't want to talk.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are grossly overestimating Steve Kerr.

I mean even Luke Walton went 39-4 with the Warriors.

I like Kerr but he doesn't hold a candle to Pop
Might have shared this thought. Trying to remember. Anyone?

And don't forget I'm pretty sure Mike Brown went 12-0 in playoffs with them.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK can we skip the lame troll moves? No one's feelings are hurt, I'm 49 years old and we're just talking about sports, there are no tears involved, you should know by now I'm not the guy to come at like that. We're just talking here. You missed my point, I totally agree the Ws are not even close to favorites this year. I was making a case that their new model is the Spurs model. It might work once or twice, it might not. But is my point valid? Do you want to have a discussion or go with "OMG you are so crying and lame and I pwned you LOLLLLZZZ!!!" ?

Your post was about how the dynasty was over (true) and how they won't be starting another (also true). My point is they are trying to be the Spurs, in the mix every year for a while. Hence, you missed the point.
Not sure if they are of the mindset they are copying the Spurs, but does seem to be the way they could be headed.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK the Walton thing is irrelevant and you know it.

And no one is saying Kerr = Pop. But my gosh is Popovich the last good coach? Can't another coach also be good?
That's fair, but let's see what he can do when he doesn't run out nearly every night without a clear talent advantage.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well sure they are, just like Klay is better than Anthony Davis.
says the guy who doesn't want trolling? I guess you didn't end with an lolzzzz, so you've got that going for you.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kerr is one of the overrated coaches in recent memory. That team basically ran itself, that's why Luke could take over and not miss a beat.
and on the flipside did miss some beats when Durant was out.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Walton remark IS relevant to show how good the team is without Kerr. You get two of the best shooters in NBA history and even Wiggy could lead them to the finals
I get Nurse, but Stevens? still?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't just mean this year. They have another 5 year window now to win another ring or two, they just aren't the overwhelming favorites anymore. They are more like the Duncan era Spurs. They will make moves over the next 5 years, but they have their core.

I explained this in the post you stopped reading LOL

I curry ages like Duncan and they get lucky to land a Kawhi (which was luck), then yes they can keep a run going.

Russell could be the guy in theory, but I’m not sure how he fits with Klay and Steph, but he could have a nice first half and then they sell high.

They will need to draft better. That is what kept the spurs going. Finding cheap contributors.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if they are of the mindset they are copying the Spurs, but does seem to be the way they could be headed.

Nothing is an exact 'copy', how could it be? I was making an analogy (that I heard fleshed out on the radio by one of the Warriors beat writers) and to me it makes a lot of sense.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fair, but let's see what he can do when he doesn't run out nearly every night without a clear talent advantage.

Yep, let's see. Popovich doesn't win every year either. Never even been to back to back Finals with all his hall of famers.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I curry ages like Duncan and they get lucky to land a Kawhi (which was luck), then yes they can keep a run going.

Russell could be the guy in theory, but I’m not sure how he fits with Klay and Steph, but he could have a nice first half and then they sell high.

They will need to draft better. That is what kept the spurs going. Finding cheap contributors.

Pretty much what I'm saying.

And yes they will need luck, luck is involved in EVERY championship. Even 2017, when the Warriors needed zero luck (besides staying healthy) to win it, they needed a lot of breaks to create the conditions for Durant to be there.