• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UW Class of 2014 Recruiting Thread

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huskies get recruiting commitment from John Turner, a 6-foot-4, 270-pound offensive lineman

He is the fourth known commitment to new UW coach Chris Petersen.

Turner chose UW over Colorado. He told 247sports.com that UW was his top choice from the beginning.

“I just love the fans. I think that’s something I wouldn’t get tired of,” Turner told Dawgman.com. “I went up there for their game against Washington State and the atmosphere there was amazing.

“I also love the academics. I wanted to get a meaningful degree to succeed after football because unfortunately, at some point, you have to stop playing. I want to study business and their business school is top-notch.”

A 2 star on at least one site. Not sure how excited we should be, but it's a body and they play line so. :noidea:

We need lots of beef for the Oline so I'll take it. He won't be the last of the Oline recruits taken in this class. Expect at least 1 -2 more. Petersen is one of the best evaluators of talent in the NCAA. Welcome to the Husky nation John!!!

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need lots of beef for the Oline so I'll take it. He won't be the last of the Oline recruits taken in this class. Expect at least 1 -2 more. Petersen is one of the best evaluators of talent in the NCAA. Welcome to the Husky nation John!!!

Well the bowl game is over and January is almost here, now the next four weeks will be interesting to see how he can fill out this class. I have no problem if they target big boys for the trenches, you can never go wrong there...

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought we were done with the S position for this class, but....

S Khalil Oliver (Meridian, ID) who had committed to BSU, has reopened and now setup visits with Oregon, Oregon St., and Washington who all appear interested.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the bowl game is over and January is almost here, now the next four weeks will be interesting to see how he can fill out this class. I have no problem if they target big boys for the trenches, you can never go wrong there...

Oline is one of the hardest position to recruit and develop in college. Sometimes you get these 5 star kids who are obviously near ready when they enter as freshman and will be put out there quickly, but for most, it usually takes 1-2 years of dedicated coaching and conditioning to get them functioning as starters or even backups. It's a very injury prone position with many of even the best recruits ending up washing out due to those problems, or don't develop well enough.

Huskies do have some experienced depth at this position for the next two years with the majority of our starters being Srs and Jrs in 2014 which helps, but we do have to get cracking on recruiting for that spot because a few of them never made it. Two years from now, we could be in trouble if we don't land some solid developmental beef in 2014 and 15. It's one of our top 3 biggest needs, for sure.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say this one shocks me at all.

2015 5-star DT Jacob Daniel who had committed to UW during the fall has decommitted today and now everyone is listing USC as the projected school where he will end up in 2015.

And while Sark took one of Petersens commits in Jalen Greene from our 2014 class, I think this at least marks the end of the knife turning Sark can inflict upon UW as there is nothing more for him to take from us and USC's scholarship limits for 2014 is about reached.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-star DT Greg Gaines (La Habra, CA) who had been recruited by Boise St. will take an official visit to Washington in the third week of January.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4-star OG Kammy Delp (Pomona, CA) who is currently committed to ASU will still be taking visits to Oregon St. and Washington before LOI.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bummer.

UW target DL Jacob Tuioti-Mariner (Bellflower, CA) committed to UCLA today.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington has offered 3 star WR Dante Pettis (Gardena, CA). He had been offered by Boise St. and is still being so by the new coaching staff there.

He plans to visit UW this month.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huskies get commitment from three-star cornerback recruit | Husky Football Blog | Seattle Times

Brandon Lewis, a cornerback from Pleasant Grove High in Elk Grove, Calif., has switched his commitment from Boise State to Washington, according to multiple recruiting services.

Lewis, listed at 5-feet-11, 182 pounds, is rated as a three-star recruit by 247sports.com and Scout.com. He reportedly missed all of his junior season with a knee injury.

Good get as we're looking solid for the DB portion of the class right now and can concentrate on the big uglies and other positions. He also has a ridiculous 4.13 GPA and wants to go into sports medicine. Petersen likes what he see's and Brandon has got to be loving what this school will offer him for academics as well.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4-star OG Kammy Delp (Pomona, CA) who is currently committed to ASU will still be taking visits to Oregon St. and Washington before LOI.

Here is the up to date visits coming in this month:

Ushenna Nwosu OLB 3 star
Kaleb McGary OT 4 star
Kammy Delp OG 3 star
Raashard Penny RB 3 star
Tre Watson RB 3 star
Jaleel Wadood S 4 star
Jaylen Johnson DE 3 star
Khalli Oliver S 3 star
Dante Pettis WR 3 star

Well it looks like there gonna be able to salvage this class to some degree, its only a 15 schollie class but with what they have in commitments and coming in, they still could land in the 30 with a class that will still be a major factor down the road...

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good list. Things should really start heating up with LOI a few weeks away.

Other names being mentioned for visits are

3 star OLB Aisea Tongilava (Orange, CA), currently committed to SJSU, is supposed to be officially visiting UW on Jan 24th.

3 star OLB Fred Warner, currently committed to BYU, may be visiting UW as well.

3 star DT Kalani Vakameilalo (Kapolei, HI), currently committed to Oregon St., has setup a visit for Jan 17th.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the up to date visits coming in this month:

Ushenna Nwosu OLB 3 star
Kaleb McGary OT 4 star
Kammy Delp OG 3 star
Raashard Penny RB 3 star
Tre Watson RB 3 star
Jaleel Wadood S 4 star
Jaylen Johnson DE 3 star
Khalli Oliver S 3 star
Dante Pettis WR 3 star

Well it looks like there gonna be able to salvage this class to some degree, its only a 15 schollie class but with what they have in commitments and coming in, they still could land in the 30 with a class that will still be a major factor down the road...

Depending on how many actually commit to us. Just visiting doesn't mean commit.

I'll reserve judgement on the class until LOI day.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A current analysis of seniors leaving, NFL draftees, and players retiring on medicals, has the class projected to be potentially bigger than estimated a few months ago.

This potential class size could hit 21-22 players depending if Petersen gets all the players he truly covets, while I think 18-20, and leaving a few spots open for the 2015 class might be the final outcome.

But the next couple weeks are going to be quite a ride because at least 10 more will be added to this class.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A current analysis of seniors leaving, NFL draftees, and players retiring on medicals, has the class projected to be potentially bigger than estimated a few months ago.

This potential class size could hit 21-22 players depending if Petersen gets all the players he truly covets, while I think 18-20, and leaving a few spots open for the 2015 class might be the final outcome.

But the next couple weeks are going to be quite a ride because at least 10 more will be added to this class.

You would think he would hold some back for next years class? I mean why take the shot of kids not panning out and get that full year in next year on the road with a few extra schollies in your back pocket....

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on how many actually commit to us. Just visiting doesn't mean commit.

I'll reserve judgement on the class until LOI day.

I didn't say any where in my post that a visit meant a commitment, I was saying in general, with the incoming traffic, and the commits they have now, there is the chance they could salvage this years class maybe land some where in the 30's of rankings.....

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be a pretty amazing set of circumstances if this happens, but goes to show, it's all about timing sometimes.

4 star QB K.J. Carta-Samuels (San Jose, CA), who had been committed to Vanderbilt and has an older brother who plays for them, reopened his status a few days ago with James Franklin leaving for Penn State, has now been in contact with Coach Petersen, and has setup an official visit for this weekend. An offer will probably be made by UW this weekend if it looks doable.

It would be a pretty serious coup to land him as he's ranked in the top 20 of most recruiting sites rankings for pro style QBs. Although if he's really opening it up, multiple California schools are going to be interested. UCLA and USC, for sure. But given it's the middle of January, UCLA and USC didn't even consider that he would be available. UW has the space for him, but UCLA appears to as well. USC would be tougher as they have a logjam of young QBs right now and Max Browne.

But UW could have his serious interest since a big reason he chose Vandy was also the academics as he carries a 3.8 GPA.

Some video of his practices and camps. Wow.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-49Uw94O8g]KJ Carta-Samuels QB - UPDATED Highlights - 2014 Prospect - 6'3" 210 3.8 GPA 4.7 40 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be a pretty amazing set of circumstances if this happens, but goes to show, it's all about timing sometimes.

4 star QB K.J. Carta-Samuels (San Jose, CA), who had been committed to Vanderbilt and has an older brother who plays for them, reopened his status a few days ago with James Franklin leaving for Penn State, has now been in contact with Coach Petersen, and has setup an official visit for this weekend. An offer will probably be made by UW this weekend if it looks doable.

It would be a pretty serious coup to land him as he's ranked in the top 20 of most recruiting sites rankings for pro style QBs. Although if he's really opening it up, multiple California schools are going to be interested. UCLA and USC, for sure. But given it's the middle of January, UCLA and USC didn't even consider that he would be available. UW has the space for him, but UCLA appears to as well. USC would be tougher as they have a logjam of young QBs right now and Max Browne.

But UW could have his serious interest since a big reason he chose Vandy was also the academics as he carries a 3.8 GPA.

Some video of his practices and camps. Wow.

KJ Carta-Samuels QB - UPDATED Highlights - 2014 Prospect - 6'3" 210 3.8 GPA 4.7 40 - YouTube

There is two phases in the college football recruiting that I've seen:

There's the one where a staff works there ass off for an entire year, gets the kids to commit early,

then there is

the late surge from a new staff that goes out and turns the not committed or shall we say the kids backing out of prior committments and they put a class together real late and it shakes up the whole rankings...

I believe having Petersen as the coach of this program now is gonna really bring in some very good talent again...

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a bit worried about our chances against UCLA when it comes to KJ because he expressed interest in wanting to visit them as soon as he decommitted. Hundley is back for 2014, but most likely gone to the NFL for sure and Mora hasn't taken a QB in this class yet. And their class still has about 3-5 spots still available. UCLA has a ton of positive mojo going on right now with Mora turning down Texas's overtures and his recruiting classes which are loaded. I think Mora is telegraphing that the only offers he would seriously consider is NFL level.

But last year, they landed one of the better dual threat QBs in the nation, in Asiantii Woulard. And he would have a year on KJ.

Since the kid is from NorCal, Cal would probably be a potential as well.

Another thing to consider is the trend of most of the PAC going with big, fast, dual threat QBs. And would KJs skill set match well with what UW plans to run as an O in the future.

We'll see how this works out cause will probably not know final answer till close to LOI.