• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USC has decided to keep Clay Helton as head coach

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but not trying to be a dick but outside of Carroll’s year who has USC had besides Robinson? You guys seem to like controllable guys, you will always have the most talent just need a guy with balls enough to when the alumni want him gone he can tell them to essentially fuck off (which seems to be how Carroll kept his) and by him telling them to fuck off I mean the players stood with him. $C’s roster except the ND game played for themselves not for the coach nor his teammates which seems to have been the way you guys have gone since Carroll.
Its a cycle they have to break. Ive been against SC's hiring habits for a long time. Carroll is the last hire I can think of without SC ties. My favorite SC coach will always be Mckay. But back on topic the only way SC is going to get back in the picture as a top tier team. Is to break the hiring culture. Move on from guys like Helton and hire the highest quality coach they can get. Their talent is just being wasted without a legitimate coach.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a cycle they have to break. Ive been against SC's hiring habits for a long time. Carroll is the last hire I can think of without SC ties. My favorite SC coach will always be Mckay. But back on topic the only way SC is going to get back in the picture as a top tier team. Is to break the hiring culture. Move on from guys like Helton and hire the highest quality coach they can get. Their talent is just being wasted without a legitimate coach.

Well two of three best coaches in the conference my lifetime were coaches no one else really wanted in Don James and Pete Carroll. Harbaugh/Shaw is the other but he is just a wins accumulator nothing else.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot of talk in this thread about Brian Kelly, but there's another Kelly relevant here too, in a different way:

Chip Kelly should seize this opportunity to pick up valuable recruits whom USC might otherwise have gotten.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well two of three best coaches in the conference my lifetime were coaches no one else really wanted in Don James and Pete Carroll. Harbaugh/Shaw is the other but he is just a wins accumulator nothing else.
I agree. I also disagree with some of the other trojan fans stances on here. I can't buy into keep Helton he's an adult. Because ha took over after Sark and Kiffin. SC had a ton of discipline issues on and off the field Jack Jones,Joseph Lewis,Matt Boermeister,Bubba Bolden and thats just some of the off the field.

I cant say well Helton won a rose bowl a PAC title and got USC to the Cotton Bowl where they lost to OSU. Helton didnt lead those teams Juju,Darnold,Adoree,Burnett,Nwosu etc led those teams. Helton's coaching was exposed this year.

Discipline issues on and off the field

Awful play calling and that cant all be put on Tee. Helton was just as bad when he took over. Especially in the second half of games. Where he never made a counter adjustment. And SC disappeared after other teams adjusted

Bad penalties,Poor ball protection,bad reads,injuries related to poor conditioning, WR's running into each other after a bye,players out of position. I'm not sure Helton could run a practice better than a HS coach

Playing players based on loyalty over skill. One example Playing Toa at center who can't snap the ball. While using the best center on the team as a situational fullback.

But its like you said SC likes to run that culture of head coaches that have SC ties and are easily controlled.

SC should have fired Helton that would be logic. And yes they could afford firing Helton and hiring a big name coach. Swann chose not to. In the end they have to break that cycle and hire a football coach rather than a babysitter. Or they will continue to regress.Next year is looking pretty bleak. I'm hoping not to see another intern situation or coach with SC ties. I hope they have a legitimate coach. That can get the most of their talent and elevate the program to where they should be lined up.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot of talk in this thread about Brian Kelly, but there's another Kelly relevant here too, in a different way:

Chip Kelly should seize this opportunity to pick up valuable recruits whom USC might otherwise have gotten.
Most of them are going north. Oregon got a major flip from SC. As did Udubs

You're Sooners may benefit at CB Oklahoma is on Steeles list after decommiting .He may still decide to commit with SC tho

Last edited:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of a difference though isn’t it? Kelly was a coveted HC that had in his career had earned it. Helton hasn’t really earned anything besides making a position change when Browne showed he wasn’t a D1 QB and lucking out Stanford won the north as opposed to UW or WSU.

In a way he has earned the right but at the same time he has proven he is more of a baseball manager not a guy who is meant to lead a million dollar program with his decisions being a day late and a dollar short.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "earned". He was HC at Grand Valley State, Central Michigan and Cincinnati.

At Notre Dame, he has had three 8-5 seasons, a 9-4 season in which all 9 wins were vacated, a 12-1 season, two 10-3 seasons and he went 4-8 in 2016.

In his first 2 seasons, Helton has gone 10-3, 11-3 and won a Rose Bowl and a PAC-12 title. I think he's at least earned the opportunity to right the ship.