• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USC has decided to keep Clay Helton as head coach

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no worries, between the Warriors, Lakers/LeBron, 49ers, Chargers, Rams, you have plenty of things to follow besides USC football.
So, still praying Petersen ends up at USC? Or finally accepting he's going to be back to take UW to another North title again next year?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, still praying Petersen ends up at USC? Or finally accepting he's going to be back to take UW to another North title again next year?
Tbf SC and snow helped Udubs win the north. Give it a year Urbs is the perfect fit to get the most of SC's talent.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tbf SC and snow helped Udubs win the north. Give it a year Urbs is the perfect fit to get the most of SC's talent.
OD and wazzy are desperate to see Petersen lured away from the North. Just rubbing it in a bit that Helton is staying another year so they have to find their next job opening to drool over dreaming of him leaving to head there.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you didn't see during the SC/ND game. No way they were airing that.When boosters are selling their seats to ND fans.....This will not go well for Swann

usc-clay-helton-fire-plane-banner.jpg
Well, they asked nicely and everything. I'll give them that. Very polite demand.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OD and wazzy are desperate to see Petersen lured away from the North. Just rubbing it in a bit that Helton is staying another year so they have to find their next job opening to drool over dreaming of him leaving to head there.
Everyone knew Helton was getting another year. Swann made that clear last night. Looking like they are going to revamp the rest of the coaching staff and give him one more shot. Just hoping they don't add Tyson Helton who was fired. On the bright side To a is gone. I don't see Helton lasting another year tho. And i can see this biting Swann in the end.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone knew Helton was getting another year. Swann made that clear last night. Looking like they are going to revamp the rest of the coaching staff and give him one more shot. Just hoping they don't add Tyson Helton who was fired. On the bright side To a is gone. I don't see Helton lasting another year tho. And i can see this biting Swann in the end.
Yeah...Swanny is in RIDE OR DIE territory right now, I hope he's right and USC can take their rightful place, in the mix for winning the PAC every year. They've suffered enough from past transgressions, its time.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...Swanny is in RIDE OR DIE territory right now, I hope he's right and USC can take their rightful place, in the mix for winning the PAC every year. They've suffered enough from past transgressions, its time.
Swanny may want to start sending Urban those muffin baskets soon.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SC has the money the boosters want him gone. A big part of the issue seems to be Swann extending Helton.And not wanting to waiver too quick. Problem is you know SC Swanns running a pretty big risk i.e. Pat Haden
It would be nuts to give Helton an extension after this season but I'm not sure if now is the right time to go searching for a new HC.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's more about the interim president. Like I said, from what I've heard, the money to buy him out is there if they want it.

But an interim president may not want to be hiring a guy for a multi-million dollar position.

Gotta be fair to Helton too. When you consider that he won 21 games his first 2 seasons, won a Rose Bowl and won the PAC last season, it's kind of hard to fire him over 1 bad season. Especially when you consider the injuries and how young they were.

As Swann alluded to in his letter, your Irish stuck with Kelly when everyone was screaming for his head and that seems to have worked out ok.

Imo, the biggest thing working against him is that he wasn't the "name hire" that people wanted. If this were someone folks had heard of, no one would be calling for his head.

Kind of a difference though isn’t it? Kelly was a coveted HC that had in his career had earned it. Helton hasn’t really earned anything besides making a position change when Browne showed he wasn’t a D1 QB and lucking out Stanford won the north as opposed to UW or WSU.

In a way he has earned the right but at the same time he has proven he is more of a baseball manager not a guy who is meant to lead a million dollar program with his decisions being a day late and a dollar short.

Last edited:

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be nuts to give Helton an extension after this season but I'm not sure if now is the right time to go searching for a new HC.
The extension Swann gave Helton when he took over as AD hand cuffed him. Bad contract but they do have the means to buy helton out and hire a coach. Or just let him go and take the hit and still be fine. Swann already gave Helton a chance forcing him to fire Calloway. Now he's giving him another by not letting him go. And promising staff changes. A lot of sources citing Swann not letting him go just yet because he doesn't want to look bad after the contract extension. But he's risking getting hit harder in the end. I don't se Helton lasting another year even with changes. Swann is taking a major risk waiting another year tho

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The extension Swann gave Helton when he took over as AD hand cuffed him. Bad contract but they do have the means to buy helton out and hire a coach. Or just let him go and take the hit and still be fine. Swann already gave Helton a chance forcing him to fire Calloway. Now he's giving him another by not letting him go. And promising staff changes. A lot of sources citing Swann not letting him go just yet because he doesn't want to look bad after the contract extension. But he's risking getting hit harder in the end. I don't se Helton lasting another year even with changes. Swann is taking a major risk waiting another year tho

But a school like $C can’t really afford to have a lame duck coach can you. Even on sanctions you guys had good enough recruits to win the conference. Every coaches goal in the conference is to poach guys that want to go to USC, and you shouldn’t willing give other coaches the knife to stab you with.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But a school like $C can’t really afford to have a lame duck coach can you. Even on sanctions you guys had good enough recruits to win the conference. Every coaches goal in the conference is to poach guys that want to go to USC, and you shouldn’t willing give other coaches the knife to stab you with.
I agree and its already happening. The deceits have started,The boosters aren't happy. This was an awful call by Swann. I think you nailed it in your post. Helton is a nice guy but this is SC and they need a legit coach.They have the money to buy Helton out and hire a coach. Same way UCLA did.By keeping Helton they're taking a step back. Which may be more difficult to recover from than the sanctions. SC should be shopping for an upper level coach right now.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree and its already happening. The deceits have started,The boosters aren't happy. This was an awful call by Swann. I think you nailed it in your post. Helton is a nice guy but this is SC and they need a legit coach.They have the money to buy Helton out and hire a coach. Same way UCLA did.By keeping Helton they're taking a step back. Which may be more difficult to recover from than the sanctions. SC should be shopping for an upper level coach right now.

True, but not trying to be a dick but outside of Carroll’s year who has USC had besides Robinson? You guys seem to like controllable guys, you will always have the most talent just need a guy with balls enough to when the alumni want him gone he can tell them to essentially fuck off (which seems to be how Carroll kept his) and by him telling them to fuck off I mean the players stood with him. $C’s roster except the ND game played for themselves not for the coach nor his teammates which seems to have been the way you guys have gone since Carroll.