• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Uh Oh: ‘Concussion’ Trailer Released, Looks Like Roger Goodell’s Worst Nightmare

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly...are we really to think that 32 billionaires are going to allow an "employee", (albeit ha highly paid one) to make critical decisions regarding the health of the league? No...the commish is the figure head...voice and fall guy of the owners.

So, there is a "shadow Commissioner" working behind the scenes in the NFL? Who would that be?

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This movie will have literally no impact on the NFL. None.

None of the players would change a thing if they had known the full story of CTE all along. This story has been "out" for years now. Is the NFL having a hard time finding players yet?

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

None of the players would change a thing if they had known the full story of CTE all along. This story has been "out" for years now. Is the NFL having a hard time finding players yet?
well, it was big enough of a deal that in the may meetings they spent an entire day on "how to handle this films release".

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A - The cover-up happened under the previous commissioner.
B - Both the NFL & NFLPA Knew of the report
C - Immediately after taking office in 2006, Goodell took on concussion safety in January 2007

~Never let the facts get in the way of the narrative

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C - Immediately after taking office in 2006, Goodell took on concussion safety in January 2007

yeahhh

and what was goodells position...um...before 2006?

and

go!

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Malcolm Gladwell thinks that the effects will start showing in the coming years. Wealthier, well to do parents will steer their boys away from football in favor of other sports. Less affluent who may lack similar choices (i.e. can't afford traveling baseball teams or other sports that take place far from home) will continue to play.

Long but interesting article

Offensive Play - The New Yorker

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeahhh

and what was goodells position...um...before 2006?

and

go!

It's irrelevant. He wasn't the commissioner & only handled the business side of NFL, like negotiating the CBA while he worked for Paul Tagliabue.

He has a clear history of taking on player safety, including concussions, since becoming commissioner. You & I have zero idea what his position was on anything non business related prior to being commissioner. To claim otherwise is a fallacy.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's irrelevant. He wasn't the commissioner & only handled the business side of NFL, like negotiating the CBA while he worked for Paul Tagliabue.

He has a clear history of taking on player safety, including concussions, since becoming commissioner. You & I have zero idea what his position was on anything non business related prior to being commissioner. To claim otherwise is a fallacy.
its only irrelevant because it stabs your claims with a filthy knife

he was under tagliabue...the COO of the NFL.

or chief operating officer

so, no...not irrelevant.

oh, and that he tackled head trauma...only after public out cry...and he settled with the players for FAR less than they were asking for. its pennies on the dollar.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

so, no...not irrelevant.

oh, and that he tackled head trauma...only after public out cry...and he settled with the players for FAR less than they were asking for. its pennies on the dollar.

Once again, you are clueless. He had ZERO power before he became the commissioner. As COO his duty was business negotiations. Immediately upon becoming commissioner, he started player safety reforms.

This isn't on Goodell, it's on Tagliabue & Upshaw.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again, you are clueless. He had ZERO power before he became the commissioner. As COO his duty was business negotiations. Immediately upon becoming commissioner, he started player safety reforms.
COO's dont have zero anything, hes the COO.

hes still involved in day to day business and does have a hand in things like litigation.

and me thinks the article/headline is more directed at the fact that he is commissioner NOW, and this movies kinda being released n stuff...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NFLPA was not interested in providing money for retired players dealing with the results of injuries sustained while playing.
more reprehensible, but less surprising.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

None is strong, but I agree with your point...the majority would have played...the reason the NFL settled on this is because of the exposure created by how they handled concussed players with that long term data under hand.

On your last point...there will always be players that will take the money...that's never been a question, but you are starting to see more fairly healthy guys like Jason Worilds and Chris Borland leave the game early. And, we're starting to see players that have been dinged a few too many times walk away or be deemed too big of a risk to play.

This is not game on as usual. Concussion protocol is taken way more serious by teams and players.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malcolm Gladwell thinks that the effects will start showing in the coming years. Wealthier, well to do parents will steer their boys away from football in favor of other sports. Less affluent who may lack similar choices (i.e. can't afford traveling baseball teams or other sports that take place far from home) will continue to play.

Long but interesting article

Offensive Play - The New Yorker

Ah, was this the "ghetto-ization" of the NFL that drew so much criticism at the time? I there is something to that. There might be more Jameis Winstons in the NFL of tomorrow and less Tom Bradys. But in football hotbeds like Texas, Florida and California, they will continue to churn out football players because that's what they have always done.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
COO's dont have zero anything, hes the COO.

hes still involved in day to day business and does have a hand in things like litigation.

and me thinks the article/headline is more directed at the fact that he is commissioner NOW, and this movies kinda being released n stuff...

The movie is about the doctor and the NFL's attempts to discredit him & his research. And eventually his vindication. It is not about the current commissioner.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

so, no...not irrelevant.

Exactly. And he showed a clear commitment to player safety as soon as he became commissioner. I hate Goodell as much as the next guy, but this isn't his "fault". And like I said, players are still lining up to play in the NFL.