• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Uh Oh: ‘Concussion’ Trailer Released, Looks Like Roger Goodell’s Worst Nightmare

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The movie is about the doctor and the NFL's attempts to discredit him & his research. And eventually his vindication. It is not about the current commissioner.
ok

so things that happen under obamas presidency...have nothing to do with obama?

lets say the patriot act, done by bush...and...go

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None is strong, but I agree with your point...the majority would have played...the reason the NFL settled on this is because of the exposure created by how they handled concussed players with that long term data under hand.

On your last point...there will always be players that will take the money...that's never been a question, but you are starting to see more fairly healthy guys like Jason Worilds and Chris Borland leave the game early. And, we're starting to see players that have been dinged a few too many times walk away or be deemed too big of a risk to play.

This is not game on as usual. Concussion protocol is taken way more serious by teams and players.

Good point. And it will always be newsworthy when a young guy retires for safety reasons. But in the big picture, there are hundreds of guys lining up to take his place. Let me know when the NFL or the SEC etc...have teams that can't field full rosters due to concussion fears. I have a feeling I might be waiting a looooong time for that.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok

so things that happen under obamas presidency...have nothing to do with obama?

lets say the patriot act, done by bush...and...go

What "things" happened under Goodell's reign as commissioner concerning concussions?

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. So which suffers first as a result of concussions: NFL ratings drop, attendance drops, merchandise sales decrease or teams are unable to field full rosters?
you will see some advertisers pulling out, who will be easily replaced.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are mocking your own point that the NFL is going to crumble because of this?
where did i say "the nfl will crumble" anywhere?

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, was this the "ghetto-ization" of the NFL that drew so much criticism at the time? I there is something to that. There might be more Jameis Winstons in the NFL of tomorrow and less Tom Bradys. But in football hotbeds like Texas, Florida and California, they will continue to churn out football players because that's what they have always done.

Yup. Just anecdotally our neighbors have a beast of a 4th grader, but they won't let him play pop warner. too bad too - given his size advantage and strength the kid would tear up pop warner for at least a few years before the other kids had growth spurts.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Just anecdotally our neighbors have a beast of a 4th grader, but they won't let him play pop warner. too bad too - given his size advantage and strength the kid would tear up pop warner for at least a few years before the other kids had growth spurts.
my friend liz wont ler her 10 year old son play football...so i recommended lax...which he is now in love with.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I definitely think we will see more cases like this. I think that "ghetto-ization" theory has some real merit to it. But I don't see Alabama having to fold their football program anytime soon. Being in the NFL is still too lucrative of a career for most to resist.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. And it will always be newsworthy when a young guy retires for safety reasons. But in the big picture, there are hundreds of guys lining up to take his place. Let me know when the NFL or the SEC etc...have teams that can't field full rosters due to concussion fears. I have a feeling I might be waiting a looooong time for that.

The NFL got off easy imo on the concussion issue because like most negotiations they have had with the NFLPA or the past players...the players are operating from a position of weakness...meaning a lot of the affected players really needed funds ASAP to address medical bills already incurred, or to fill in the gaps from lost income due to their condition.

We're 50 yrs (long enough to put the current core NFL demographic out the pasture) from any real negative impact on the NFL operations as we know it today. I think we'll see the impact at the gate first. You have more parents steering their kids away from football...some of the smaller HS is where we're going to start seeing the 1st level of player shortfall.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
where did i say "the nfl will crumble" anywhere?

You are kind of all over the place here, Rocko. You talk about how the NFL is reeling from this movie coming out, but can't even speculate a reasonable way in which they will be impacted(other than losing easily replaced advertisers, of course).

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are kind of all over the place here, Rocko. You talk about how the NFL is reeling from this movie coming out, but can't even speculate a reasonable way in which they will be impacted(other than losing easily replaced advertisers, of course).
im in one place.

i never said anything about the nfl "crumbling" because of this. its weird.

and they spent a day in may preparing for its release, so one would assume its a major talking point for them.

thats literally all IVE said (me, not the article)

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL got off easy imo on the concussion issue because like most negotiations they have had with the NFLPA or the past players...the players are operating from a position of weakness...meaning a lot of the affected players really needed funds ASAP to address medical bills already incurred, or to fill in the gaps from lost income due to their condition.

We're 50 yrs (long enough to put the current core NFL demographic out the pasture) from any real negative impact on the NFL operations as we know it today. I think we'll see the impact at the gate first. You have more parents steering their kids away from football...some of the smaller HS is where we're going to start seeing the 1st level of player shortfall.

Good points, but if we are talking 50 years out, I have to think the quality of equipment can go way up by then to keep guys safer. And, yeah, small high schools in the suburbs might have a hard time getting guys to play at some point. But I'm not holding my breath on that, either.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points, but if we are talking 50 years out, I have to think the quality of equipment can go way up by then to keep guys safer. And, yeah, small high schools in the suburbs might have a hard time getting guys to play at some point. But I'm not holding my breath on that, either.

We're seeing it already.

My boss has 3 boys all grade school age...the oldest is a Sr, 2nd boy is a Jr...they go a private 2A (they may dress 40 kids whereas a 6A might dress 60) HS outside ATL...in years past...the varsity would suit up maybe 3 or 4 of the 9th graders that had good potential...most would not play unless it was a blowout...the last 2 seasons, they are bringing up 10 or 12 9th graders and not just home games, they travel now and 2 of them played last week.

The boss wife pulled the youngest boy out of football in favor of Lacrosse...over this concussion stuff, he got dinged twice I think and she pulled him out.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're seeing it already.

My boss has 3 boys all grade school age...the oldest is a Sr, 2nd boy is a Jr...they go a private 2A (they may dress 40 kids whereas a 6A might dress 60) HS outside ATL...in years past...the varsity would suit up maybe 3 or 4 of the 9th graders that had good potential...most would not play unless it was a blowout...the last 2 seasons, they are bringing up 10 or 12 9th graders and not just home games, they travel now and 2 of them played last week.

The boss wife pulled the youngest boy out of football in favor of Lacrosse...over this concussion stuff, he got dinged twice I think and she pulled him out.
this

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rocks pic of the day

you'll see it

girls-facebook-photo-accidentally-shows-family-she-owns-a-massive-sex-toy-image-1.jpg

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im in one place.

i never said anything about the nfl "crumbling" because of this. its weird.

and they spent a day in may preparing for its release, so one would assume its a major talking point for them.

thats literally all IVE said (me, not the article)

So, they spent some time talking about it. Probably to get all their responses organized. But the NFL is a runaway train despite any little speed bumps in their way. That's all I've said on the topic.