• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Two Columns on Harbaugh's Lack of Confidence in Smith

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd year. Define that. It is hard to say with the injuries.

It is pretty clear the people on the optimist side were closer to how it has played out.
One of those people would of been me.

It was pretty simple.

He was meh to OK when was on the field 06-10

The other QBs who got time were no better or worse.

Preforming meh to OK in less than good situations is the reason for optimism.

I still was tempered with it considering he was a #1 pick. 2008 draft I would of be fine with taking Mark Sanchez and moving on. Didn't believe then or even now that Smith can be greatness.
It is just I thought he could get in the 90s in QB rating.

He has and brushing that aside makes you look pathetic if you do it in a whitewash way and then move on to how you truly are gonna be right this time.

Would HAVE been you.

You would HAVE been fine.

This is simple English. My three year old has a better grasp of the language than you do.

The fact that you view Sanchez as an upgrade is very telling.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how did he manage to do OK from a # production standpoint?

Did he rub a genie's dick every Sunday.

Jesus Christ you must see your post as bullshit but don't care cause it is only a message board where nothing really matters and complete idiocy just trickles down and away after a little time.

How do you not realize this is YOU?

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blaine Gabbert is a starting QB
Mark Sanchez is a starting QB
Whoever for AZ
Whoever for KC

A guy with an 80 QB rating over his last 2000 passes, 88 last 1000, isn't a starter in the NFL?

And I'm the dummy?

You aren't wrong cause you are dumb. Just a cocksure arrogant dude.

Yes. Clearly.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crap is what you spew. Facts are that post.

Or do you also think Steve Young is the greatest of all time? Don't answer that.

Easy there, Bill O'Reilly, opinions are not facts.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what do we do now? Obviously after two losses, one to the Vikings where Ponder cut through our defense like a knife through butter, it's apparent to Clyde and Sickness that Smith is NEVER going to take us all the way, and they have to concede we can't replace him with Kap right now because the 49ers are 5-2 and maybe they trust that Harbaugh has enough info to make an informed decision that as bad as Smith is, Kap would be worse. So what's the solution? Let's not just bitch about this, and get in some endless debate about Smith -- what do you guys propose we do about this terrible, horrible qb situation?

Get one who can win? I don't know...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota, NYG. That's this year. Baltimore, ARZ and NYG last year. Pretty much all of 2005. 2006 was mediocre. 2007 he was benched. 2008 he didn't play a snap. 2009 he was benched. 2010 he was benched. 2011 was mediocre (and his best year).

When can we say Alex Smith isn't a good QB and you guys don't freak the hell out?

Wow, that is a lot of crap in one post.

Crap is what you spew. Facts are that post.

Or do you also think Steve Young is the greatest of all time? Don't answer that.

Warty's post was not a lot of crap, but that's also not just the facts, either. Wasn't going to say anything about the first post, except then it was said that it was just the facts, as if all of that was black and white. It's definitely not crap, it's a legitimate opinion, but there aren't just facts, here.

He wasn't benched in 2007, he had a throwing shoulder injury that later required two surgeries and him missing 2008; he toughed it out until the injury was too much. That doesn't make him better than mediocre and may have shown durability issues, but that's not "benching" like that word implies. He didn't play long enough healthy to make a good or bad evaluation of him that year.

In 2009, Singletary going into his first full year, kept the QB that got him his job secured. Smith wasn't good enough to overcome that, but that's not benching if you don't replace the incumbent, considering he took over a benched Hill. Still, not better than mediocre, but it's enough of an opinion not to just be a fact.

2010 he was effectively benched when, after recovering from his next shoulder injury, Singletary chose to stick with Troy, which ended up being a stupid decision. He should have stuck with Smith, made the playoffs, and then, not resign Smith. But that was Smith's worst beginning of a year and if we had anyone to back him up, he should have been benched, despite picking it up after the Philadelphia game.

We're never going to agree on 2011 and I am disappointed thus far in 2012, despite that I think he has neither improved nor regressed.

Last edited by a moderator:

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not a lot of crap, but that's also not just the facts, either. Wasn't going to say anything about the first post, except then you said it was just the facts, as if all of that was black and white. It's definitely not crap, it's a legitimate opinion, but there aren't just facts, here.

He wasn't benched in 2007, he had a throwing shoulder injury that later required two surgeries and him missing 2008; he toughed it out until the injury was too much. That doesn't make him better than mediocre and may have shown durability issues, but that's not "benching" like that word implies. He didn't play long enough healthy to make a good or bad evaluation of him that year.

In 2009, Singletary going into his first full year, kept the QB that got him his job secured. Smith wasn't good enough to overcome that, but that's not benching if you don't replace the incumbent, considering he took over a benched Hill. Still, not better than mediocre, but it's enough of an opinion not to just be a fact.

2010 he was effectively benched when, after recovering from his next shoulder injury, Singletary chose to stick with Troy, which ended up being a stupid decision. He should have stuck with Smith, made the playoffs, and then, not resign Smith. But that was Smith's worst beginning of a year and if we had anyone to back him up, he should have been benched, despite picking it up after the Philadelphia game.

We're never going to agree on 2011 and I am disappointed thus far in 2012, despite that I think he has neither improved nor regressed.

Injuries are part of the game. Facts are, our #1 pick of the draft has two mediocre seasons and garbage under his belt. Despite our very good defense, we're going to have to have more than Smith at QB to win a SB. This isn't an opinion. This is a fact. If he wins one, I'll own up. When he doesn't, I know nobody else on here will.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve Young. Greatest of all time.

End.

Joe Montana was great too. I prefer Young over Montana.

Both were coached by the Great Bill Walsh. Why did he have to retire :Cry:

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Montana was great too. I prefer Young over Montana.

Both were coached by the Great Bill Walsh. Why did he have to retire :Cry:

No wonder you're defending Smith.

I like Super Bowl wins. You CLEARLY are indifferent about them.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get one who can win? I don't know...

Who? What do we do the rest of this year? We're 5-2 and the season sucks, we'll never reach the Super Bowl with Smith, we were lucky to squeak out a win over the Bills and the Jets with him as our qb, we need solutions!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injuries are part of the game. Facts are, our #1 pick of the draft has two mediocre seasons and garbage under his belt. Despite our very good defense, we're going to have to have more than Smith at QB to win a SB. This isn't an opinion. This is a fact. If he wins one, I'll own up. When he doesn't, I know nobody else on here will.

No argument with the bold (my difference of opinion on 2011 is not strong enough to be a full disagreement). I would change it the rest to "Despite our very good defense, we're going to have to have more than what Smith is currently giving us at QB to win a SB. This isn't an opinion. This is a fact." From that point, saying that he can't or won't is an opinion.

I think it's a fact that Smith is better than Dilfer and Brad Johnson, so to be a Franchise QB, saying we need more than Smith is a stronger chance of being true than saying we can't win a SB with him.

But there's no point in arguing whether he can. I know your opinion. I know you think it's fact. I know I can't change your mind on it. I'm not claiming he will just that he can. I'll own up if we don't win too, but I won't be bashing him either. Depending on why we lost, I'd react. I think I am at least more objective than some on here, despite my biases.

I still say we go with Smith this year so long as we are winning, get Kaep some experience, but within the game-planning, not just to be in there. Win a SB or don't, cut him if we don't win. I know some will say cut him even if we do win, but I'd have to see it play out before I advocated that. Not making any grand statement for Smith, as I don't think he's proven enough positively for that. I'll try to enjoy this season, knowing that we have a chance this year and will be going into 2013 stronger (either with a better Smith or a Kaep who will by then show if he's in fact better (theory and guessing is always a choice but I feel the coaching staff will make a good decision.))

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who? What do we do the rest of this year? We're 5-2 and the season sucks, we'll never reach the Super Bowl with Smith, we were lucky to squeak out a win over the Bills and the Jets with him as our qb, we need solutions!

Drama.

We're 5-2. Great. We're going to the playoffs. Where Smith will fail. I don't care what the option is. Smith CAN'T deliver a Lombardi. Regardless of how good the rest of the team is. We have to have a competent QB. Smith isn't.

What are the facts that dispute that?

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No wonder you're defending Smith.

I like Super Bowl wins. You CLEARLY are indifferent about them.
I want Super Bowls too.

I believe in Harbaugh.I have faith that Harbaugh will put Smith in a position to succeed just as Bill Walsh did with Montana and Young. Players don't win Super Bowls, TEAMS do...yeah I know it sounds like a cliche.

Montana and Young weren't born as Super Bowl winning QB, they were made into SB winners by Bill Walsh.

Bill Walsh is the GOAT.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No argument with the bold. I would change it the rest to "Despite our very good defense, we're going to have to have more than what Smith is currently giving us at QB to win a SB. This isn't an opinion. This is a fact." From that point, saying that he can't or won't is an opinion.

I think it's a fact that Smith is better than Dilfer and Brad Johnson, so to be a Franchise QB, saying we need more than Smith is a stronger chance of being true than saying we can't win a SB with him.

But there's no point in arguing whether he can. I know your opinion. I know you think it's fact. I know I can't change your mind on it. I'm not claiming he will just that he can. I'll own up if we don't win too, but I won't be bashing him either. Depending on why we lost, I'd react. I think I am at least more objective than some on here, despite my biases.

I disagree with both, honestly.

And we're in the same boat on everything else. I'm not optimistic that Smith can QUARTERBACK us to a SB. Dilfer and Johnson did. Despite riding amazing defenses.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want Super Bowls too.

I believe in Harbaugh.I have faith that Harbaugh will put Smith in a position to succeed just as Bill Walsh did with Montana and Young. Players don't win Super Bowls, TEAMS do...yeah I know it sounds like a cliche.

Montana and Young weren't born as Super Bowl winning, they were made into SB winners by Bill Walsh.

Bill Walsh is the GOAT.

Same page. No disrespect from earlier posts.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drama.

We're 5-2. Great. We're going to the playoffs. Where Smith will fail. I don't care what the option is. Smith CAN'T deliver a Lombardi. Regardless of how good the rest of the team is. We have to have a competent QB. Smith isn't.

What are the facts that dispute that?

Well, I get the argument that Smith is not the typical SB winning quarterback, but as MH said, teams with a certain less than stellar QB play have won -- Tampa Bay, Ravens, the Giants with Hoss, Rothelisburger in the SB against Seattle had a putrid game --- but you're really jumping the shark here by saying that he CAN'T, and also saying that SMith will fail in the playoffs -- I don't think he failed against New Orleans and he didn't have a great game against the Giants but it did come down to a couple of fumbles. And to say he isn't competent is absurd --- he's not elite but he's competent. You oversold on that one man.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with both, honestly.

And we're in the same boat on everything else. I'm not optimistic that Smith can QUARTERBACK us to a SB. Dilfer and Johnson did. Despite riding amazing defenses.

Yeah, we'll disagree. Neither are facts, IMO (I mispoke). We'll see how it turns out this year as I do think it's this year or bust for Smith. If Smith does win this year, I think it will then be fact, but right now, that is my opinion and I should have stated it as such.

He didn't cave to a team in the Saints where people said he would (that to me makes him at least competent), then he performed poorly against the Giants (which to me makes it make or break this year). Had we won despite that, we'd have had a chance against the Patriots. The only reason why I'm arguing this is because we're not talking about whether Smith is great (which I would of course say he's not), just whether he can get us a win, and I think he can. Won't say he will, but we'll just have to agree to disagree on whether he can.