• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Two Columns on Harbaugh's Lack of Confidence in Smith

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill probably get flamed for this but I don't care. So his first two games plus the bills and Jets games he get thrown out the window? I'm sorry but just because smith has had a bad history makes the last 2 games stick out. He played a pretty solid d in a divisional game vs Seattle and struggled against the giants one game this yr. And again everyone jumps to conclusions and is ready to take him out. I'm not saying smith is the best qb and we couldn't do better but I personally don't think kap will do us any better right now and Tolzien either.

He is our best option right now and until he starts actually shitting the bed there is no reason to replace him. Week after week I see "elite" qbs play and turn the ball over and fail to score points while putting up the stats that everyone loves. But guess what they are losing those games. Yes we have a great all around team which helps. But smith is the guy and until harbaugh says otherwise or smith shits the bed then we roll with him. Quit discounting the good games he has had which far outweigh his so called bad games.

Minnesota, NYG. That's this year. Baltimore, ARZ and NYG last year. Pretty much all of 2005. 2006 was mediocre. 2007 he was benched. 2008 he didn't play a snap. 2009 he was benched. 2010 he was benched. 2011 was mediocre (and his best year).

When can we say Alex Smith isn't a good QB and you guys don't freak the hell out?

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Minnesota, NYG. That's this year. Baltimore, ARZ and NYG last year. Pretty much all of 2005. 2006 was mediocre. 2007 he was benched. 2008 he didn't play a snap. 2009 he was benched. 2010 he was benched. 2011 was mediocre (and his best year).

When can we say Alex Smith isn't a good QB and you guys don't freak the hell out?

Wow, that is a lot of crap in one post.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's never gonna happen. I've never seen a player who's been a thorough disappointment gain so much equity with fans as I have with Alex Smith and this fan base. I never understood it. I was one of his biggest backers on the ESPN boards, but after his 3rd year it was pretty clear what he was on this level.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's never gonna happen. I've never seen a player who's been a thorough disappointment gain so much equity with fans as I have with Alex Smith and this fan base. I never understood it. I was one of his biggest backers on the ESPN boards, but after his 3rd year it was pretty clear what he was on this level.

3rd year. Define that. It is hard to say with the injuries.

It is pretty clear the people on the optimist side were closer to how it has played out.
One of those people would of been me.

It was pretty simple.

He was meh to OK when was on the field 06-10

The other QBs who got time were no better or worse.

Preforming meh to OK in less than good situations is the reason for optimism.

I still was tempered with it considering he was a #1 pick. 2008 draft I would of be fine with taking Mark Sanchez and moving on. Didn't believe then or even now that Smith can be greatness.
It is just I thought he could get in the 90s in QB rating.

He has and brushing that aside makes you look pathetic if you do it in a whitewash way and then move on to how you truly are gonna be right this time.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd year. Define that. It is hard to say with the injuries.

It is pretty clear the people on the optimist side were closer to how it has played out.
One of those people would of been me.

It was pretty simple.

He was meh to OK when was on the field 06-10

The other QBs who got time were no better or worse.

Preforming meh to OK in less than good situations is the reason for optimism.

I still was tempered with it considering he was a #1 pick. 2008 draft I would of be fine with taking Mark Sanchez and moving on. Didn't believe then or even now that Smith can be greatness.
It is just I thought he could get in the 90s in QB rating.

He has and brushing that aside makes you look pathetic if you do it in a whitewash way and then move on to how you truly are gonna be right this time.

I was optimistic - to a point. If it were up to me, though, Alex would not have been allowed 8 years to prove he belongs as a starter in this league (which he has yet to do). Eight years in, and he's still making poor post-snap judgements and reads, has sub-par pocket presence, and little to no football savvy and ad-lib ability. That hasn't changed.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was optimistic - to a point. If it were up to me, though, Alex would not have been allowed 8 years to prove he belongs as a starter in this league (which he has yet to do). Eight years in, and he's still making poor post-snap judgements and reads, has sub-par pocket presence, and little to no football savvy and ad-lib ability. That hasn't changed.

So how did he manage to do OK from a # production standpoint?

Did he rub a genie's dick every Sunday.

Jesus Christ you must see your post as bullshit but don't care cause it is only a message board where nothing really matters and complete idiocy just trickles down and away after a little time.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jesus Christ you must see your post as bullshit but don't care cause it is only a message board where nothing really matters and complete idiocy just trickles down and away after a little time.

How did he do OK? Uhh, because he's not completely useless? He does have some tools, you know. Just not enough to be a consistent starter in this league.

I don't get what's so hard to understand about that, dumbfuck.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Blaine Gabbert is a starting QB
Mark Sanchez is a starting QB
Whoever for AZ
Whoever for KC

A guy with an 80 QB rating over his last 2000 passes, 88 last 1000, isn't a starter in the NFL?

And I'm the dummy?

You aren't wrong cause you are dumb. Just a cocksure arrogant dude.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

How did Matt Cassell manage to do OK from a production standpoint? How did Vick? How did David Garrard? Answer: who cares? Production means nothing if you can't win in the playoffs. And bad QBs can have good seasons from a statistical standpoint, but it's never consistent.

This response was extremely lame.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How did Matt Cassell manage to do OK from a production standpoint? How did Vick? How did David Garrard? Answer: who cares? Production means nothing if you can't win in the playoffs. And bad QBs can have good seasons from a statistical standpoint, but it's never consistent.

This response was extremely lame.

We haven't settled why Alex Smith did OK to good. Can we resolve that reality first before asking more questions?

Production in playoffs helps win games and usually it is from guys who do it in the regular season as that is a prerequisite to the post-season. Hence the name.

And bad QBs rarely have a good season. That is a lot of variance. Average to good is more likely.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
We haven't settled why Alex Smith did OK to good.

Ok. Why? He has the best OL in the NFL, he has the best running game in the NFL, he has the best TE in the NFL, and he has decent WRs. And the NIners have had the best defense in the NFL, so Alex hasn't had to do much to win games; usually 20 points will do it. That's why he's had decent numbers.

This isn't enough to beat great teams like the Giants. You need a QB who can complete some 3rd & longs.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what do we do now? Obviously after two losses, one to the Vikings where Ponder cut through our defense like a knife through butter, it's apparent to Clyde and Sickness that Smith is NEVER going to take us all the way, and they have to concede we can't replace him with Kap right now because the 49ers are 5-2 and maybe they trust that Harbaugh has enough info to make an informed decision that as bad as Smith is, Kap would be worse. So what's the solution? Let's not just bitch about this, and get in some endless debate about Smith -- what do you guys propose we do about this terrible, horrible qb situation?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
and they have to concede we can't replace him with Kap right now because the 49ers are 5-2 and maybe they trust that Harbaugh has enough info to make an informed decision that as bad as Smith is, Kap would be worse.

I don't concede that at all. I think Kaep would be just as good (or bad) in the short term, and he MIGHT be better in the long term.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what do we do now? Obviously after two losses, one to the Vikings where Ponder cut through our defense like a knife through butter, it's apparent to Clyde and Sickness that Smith is NEVER going to take us all the way, and they have to concede we can't replace him with Kap right now because the 49ers are 5-2 and maybe they trust that Harbaugh has enough info to make an informed decision that as bad as Smith is, Kap would be worse. So what's the solution? Let's not just bitch about this, and get in some endless debate about Smith -- what do you guys propose we do about this terrible, horrible qb situation?

No one is bitching about anything. We're discussing the QB situation, Alex's weaknesses, and what Kap could possibly bring to the table. If you are too sensitive to participate in the debate, don't open the thread. It's that simple.