• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Twitter Murders Kirk Cousins

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then appreciate the difference.

How many games is Cousins supposed to win by himself just because he was a high priced free agent?

Lol, I really can't win on this forum when it comes to Cousins. Either I express the opinion that he's flawed but they knew what they were getting when they overpaid him and failed to get him a decent O-line that he needs (as well as the defense sucking in 2018) so he still deserves some credit, or I join in on the trolling about him for the lulz... either way, people ride my asss here ha.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Minnesota fans shitting all over their starting QB will make him play better. I'm so sure of it.

I'm convinced that half the people who post here do so without fully reading what they're bitching about first or taking into account who is posting it...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, I really can't win on this forum when it comes to Cousins. Either I express the opinion that he's flawed but they knew what they were getting when they overpaid him and failed to get him a decent O-line that he needs (as well as the defense sucking in 2018) so he still deserves some credit, or I join in on the trolling about him for the lulz... either way, people ride my asss here ha.

The defense was fine in 2018.

The problem was your shit offensive line, terrible offensive coordinator (who has found a new home at Jacksonville :pound:), terrible offensive line coach(ES - WTF?), and the fact your team ran 30% less balls in 2018, despite the same runningback committee with a MORE healthy Cook than 2017.

Can't blame Mike Zimmer since he's a defensive coach and the Vikings ended top 5 in D, but the fact he named dual coach on the O-Line and that douche nozzle O coord, while spending ~$10M on a defensive line that really didn't need help... My thought is everyone in Minnesota was stoned out of their fucking mind. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm convinced that half the people who post here do so without fully reading what they're bitching about first or taking into account who is posting it...
Your reading comprehension isn’t as good as you think it is then because I wasn’t talking about you

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously??

at LA Rams: 72% comp, 422 yards, 3 TD/0 INT - Vikings lose 38-31

at Philly: 81% comp, 301 yards, 1 TD/0 INT - Vikings win 23-21

vs. New Orleans: 76% comp, 359 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT - Vikings lose 30-20

Only game he was really bad was at New England. His 2nd game against Chicago and at Seattle weren't great, but he didn't turn the ball over and had 2 TDs on 60% comp in those two games combined. He was also dominant against Detroit and GB in the division. They missed the playoffs because of an inconsistent defense and a bad rush offense.

In all seriousness, people need to settle own on the Cousins escapade. The biggest issue is that the team failed to do anything to address their terrible O-line that Keenum's greater sense of elusiveness somewhat makes in 2017. Although Cousins is clearly far better as a QB overall than Keenum, his lack of mobility ruined him behind that line. If they finally get their crap together and beef the O-line up to at least an average squad, then I think it'll be fair to be more critical of Cousins and their signing of him. If they fail to do that, then the fiasco is squarely the fault of the Vikings' management and coaching for expecting Cousins to turn into Aaron Rodgers behind a crap line when everyone and their mother has known that will never happen since his first couple years in Washington.

Another issue was the defense. They were significantly worse than they were in 2017. Whereas Keenum and the offense were able to ride an elite defense, Cousins didn't have anywhere near that luxury in 2018. The 2018 defense got very few turnovers and consistently left the offense in chitty situations. Combine that with the O-line issues, and it was a recipe for them ending up as they did - decent team with a decent number of noteworthy star players, but missing the playoffs anyway. Zimmer needs to find a way to get his defense back to at least a top 10 level after how heavily they've invested into that side of the ball during his time here, or the Cousins experiment failing will fall on him too. It all goes back to the fact that they should have known that they signed a very good QB who could quite possibly get a great team over the top, but not an elite franchise guy who has a great chance of willing his team to the playoffs despite them having some glaring weaknesses like the drop off on D and crappy O-line of the Vikings.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vikings problems are rushing offense and rushing defense, but the QB and coach generally get the credit and the blame in the Wins and Losses departments.

Kirk reminds me of Cutler a little, both in play and situation. Lot's of talent , but he just seems to have a personal black cloud over his head? Something? Plus, that contract is crazy af.

I hope he has the exact same impact on the Vikings, that Cutler did the Bears.:heh:

You did NOT just bring Jay Cutler into this and compare my boy Cousins to him...

:stfu:

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes you could. There's also the fact that Minnesota had a top 10 rush offense averaging 122 yards a game in 2017 and became a bottom 3 rush offense averaging barely 93.

I feel like that 2017 overall Minnesota team success is what is making Cousins catch so much shit, which is why I don't think it's fair. Dude can't play RB or on defense in addition to QB.

Fair enough. I'm expecting them to give him an O-line that doesn't resemble a college squad before I write Cousins in Minnesota off as a failure.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good. Either grow a set and at least sort of live up to your contract, or become known as the biggest loser to ever receive such an absurd mega deal in the history of the league.

Your reading comprehension isn’t as good as you think it is then because I wasn’t talking about you

Um.. but you quoted my less than positive comment about Cousins while seeming to indicate that Vikings fans talking crap about him will only make him worse... but you weren't talking about me? U wat m8? Lol

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense was fine in 2018.

The problem was your shit offensive line, terrible offensive coordinator (who has found a new home at Jacksonville :pound:), terrible offensive line coach(ES - WTF?), and the fact your team ran 30% less balls in 2018, despite the same runningback committee with a MORE healthy Cook than 2017.

Can't blame Mike Zimmer since he's a defensive coach and the Vikings ended top 5 in D, but the fact he named dual coach on the O-Line and that douche nozzle O coord, while spending ~$10M on a defensive line that really didn't need help... My thought is everyone in Minnesota was stoned out of their fucking mind. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

No, trust me, the Vikings defense was much worse in 2018. This is why those total team stats need to be taken with a grain of salt. Calling them a "top 4" defense is too complimentary towards them for 2018. A better comparison would be directly comparing their 2018 defense to their 2017 D, which performed better much more consistently.

2017 Vikings Defense - 15.8 PTS/G (252 pts season total), 83.6 rush yds/G, 192.4 pass yds/G, 275.9 total yrds/G (4,415 yds season total), 20 total takeaways.

2018 Vikings Defense - 21.3 PTS/G (341 pts season total), 113.4 rush yds/G, 196.3 pass yds/G, 309.7 total yds/G (4,955 yds season total, 19 total takeaways).

So the 2018 squad gave up an extra 5.5 PTS/G (89 total - nearly 13 extra TD's/extra points), 33.9 more total yds/G, and 1 less takeaway than 2017. So while they might not have been an absolute bottom dweller defense in 2018, they had a very noticeable drop off. What needs to be kept in mind when in all this is that Mike Zimmer is extremely defensive-minded as a coach, hailed as among the greatest defensive minds in the game, and has been allowed to invest far more heavily into that side of the ball per his wishes since he first took the reigns as HC in 2014. Since that time, they have spent their 3 1st rounders on defense and just 1 on offense (Treadwell) unless you count them trading back up in 2014 to take Bridgewater at #32. The 2017 pick was traded for Bradford. Aside from Cousins, almost all of their FA signings of note have been for the defense as well (Linval Joseph, Captain Munnerlyn, resigning guys like Harrison Smith and Xavior Rhodes, Sheldon Richardson, etc.)

So yeah, the expectations of their defense are rightfully pretty high. There is no excuse for them to be giving up so many points per game given everything I mentioned here. The defensive drop off definitely played a role in their failures in 2018. I definitely agree that the O-line was the bigger problem in terms of Cousins's struggles specifically, but they couldn't afford the defense getting that much worse after signing a big name FA immobile QB after failing to address their line that was terrible in 2017 already.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, trust me, the Vikings defense was much worse in 2018. This is why those total team stats need to be taken with a grain of salt. Calling them a "top 4" defense is too complimentary towards them for 2018. A better comparison would be directly comparing their 2018 defense to their 2017 D, which performed better much more consistently.

2017 Vikings Defense - 15.8 PTS/G (252 pts season total), 83.6 rush yds/G, 192.4 pass yds/G, 275.9 total yrds/G (4,415 yds season total), 20 total takeaways.

2018 Vikings Defense - 21.3 PTS/G (341 pts season total), 113.4 rush yds/G, 196.3 pass yds/G, 309.7 total yds/G (4,955 yds season total, 19 total takeaways).

So the 2018 squad gave up an extra 5.5 PTS/G (89 total - nearly 13 extra TD's/extra points), 33.9 more total yds/G, and 1 less takeaway than 2017. So while they might not have been an absolute bottom dweller defense in 2018, they had a very noticeable drop off. What needs to be kept in mind when in all this is that Mike Zimmer is extremely defensive-minded as a coach, hailed as among the greatest defensive minds in the game, and has been allowed to invest far more heavily into that side of the ball per his wishes since he first took the reigns as HC in 2014. Since that time, they have spent their 3 1st rounders on defense and just 1 on offense (Treadwell) unless you count them trading back up in 2014 to take Bridgewater at #32. The 2017 pick was traded for Bradford. Aside from Cousins, almost all of their FA signings of note have been for the defense as well (Linval Joseph, Captain Munnerlyn, resigning guys like Harrison Smith and Xavior Rhodes, Sheldon Richardson, etc.)

So yeah, the expectations of their defense are rightfully pretty high. There is no excuse for them to be giving up so many points per game given everything I mentioned here. The defensive drop off definitely played a role in their failures in 2018. I definitely agree that the O-line was the bigger problem in terms of Cousins's struggles specifically, but they couldn't afford the defense getting that much worse after signing a big name FA immobile QB after failing to address their line that was terrible in 2017 already.

Sure... I mean I get it... but Minnesota went from a top 3 time of possession team to a bottom 10 time of possession team, largely because of the lack of rushing and offensive playcalling which I believe translated some to the 'lackluster' D performance (compared to prior year anyway, Minny's D was still top notch in 2018).

I agree the expectations of the Minnesota defense should've been high in 2018 with some of the top defenders by position and a 1 year prove it contract to Sheldon Richardson. That said, Minny's defense was not really the problem. Minny's D went up against a more difficult schedule this year with 2 much stronger offenses in Chicago/Green Bay (and one could argue Detroit with help on the O-Line - or at least before injuries) and IMO did not have the luxury of facing terrible offense like they did in 2017, 15 p/g is hard enough to duplicate and usually the result of a terrible offensive division. Even Seattle's legendary 2012-13 defense had the same luxury in that the whole division sucked ass and Colin 'Kraepernick' was figured out.

I get points/game is a thing, but end of day Minny's D played well, created turnovers, and did limit teams to yards/game. The offense didn't help with more turnovers and a lack of a rushing game compared to 2017 - which IMO was primarily due to one of the worst offensive line performances in 2018, a terrible OC performance, and a lack of unity/philosophy across the OL which HEAVILY regressed. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure... I mean I get it... but Minnesota went from a top 3 time of possession team to a bottom 10 time of possession team, largely because of the lack of rushing and offensive playcalling which I believe translated some to the 'lackluster' D performance (compared to prior year anyway, Minny's D was still top notch in 2018).

I agree the expectations of the Minnesota defense should've been high in 2018 with some of the top defenders by position and a 1 year prove it contract to Sheldon Richardson. That said, Minny's defense was not really the problem. Minny went up against a more difficult schedule this year with 2 much stronger offenses in Chicago/Green Bay (and one could argue Detroit with help on the O-Line) and IMO did not have the luxury of facing terrible offense like they did in 2017. Seattle's legendary 2012-13 defense had the same luxury in that the whole division sucked ass and Colin 'Kraepernick' was figured out.

I get points/game is a thing, but end of day Minny's D played well, created turnovers, and did limit teams to yards/game. The offense didn't help with more turnovers and a lack of a rushing game compared to 2017 - which IMO was primarily due to one of the worst offensive line performances in 2018, a terrible OC performance, and a lack of unity/philosophy across the OL which HEAVILY regressed. That's all I'm saying.

After reading this elaboration of yours here, I don't think we really disagree much. I'd rank the defensive setbacks behind the O-line continuing to suck (and showing more with the less mobile Cousins than the more elusive Keenum in 2017) and the rushing game lagging. John DeFelippo's play calling was also highly questionable at times, and I wasn't a fan of Zimmer deciding to finally get more involved in the offense by announcing to the world that he thought DeFelippo sucked and that he would insist that we ran more. Had the D been as good as they were in 2017, I think we'd have been a 10 or 11 win team instead of 8, and probably make a wildcard or divisional round playoff exit. Just my opinions, of course.

Btw - I think the Seahawks should continue their tradition of taking on ex-Vikings WR's by picking up Laquon Treadwell.