• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tristan agrees to contract agreement

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THANK YOU...!

one Cav's fan with the sense and the BALLS to admit that. respect...

Actually I don't consider myself a Cavs fan. Been a Celtics fan since the days of Larry the Legend. And it just wouldn't be right to jump on the Cavs bandwagon because of LeBron.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait till James starts his inevitable decline and he's already sitting out preseason games because he's banged up and to make sure he's fresh for the regular season.

The Cavs season is officially over because LeBron didn't play in every preseason game!:D

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much.

Draymond green also signed five-year, $82 million contract

Looking at playoff stats between the 2 this year

TT has him beat in a lot of categories including win share, fg% and rebounding and is a year younger

So TT can rebound better, score more efficiently, scores more Points per shot, and has a much higher offensive rating slightly lower defensive rating and they both have the same win share % for their respective team....

Thompson is getting you an extra 2.2 shots per game and an extra rebound on defense along with a better PPS...If the avg game is decided by 3.5 points that is the difference maker

Consider this as well...Thompson avg .8 turnovers and Green avg 2.8

Just sayin it's not that crazy of a contract unless you thinks green got a ridiculous contract

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TT has him beat in a lot of categories including win share, fg% and rebounding and is a year younger

So TT can rebound better, score more efficiently, scores more Points per shot, and has a much higher offensive rating slightly lower defensive rating and they both have the same win share % for their respective team....

Thompson is getting you an extra 2.2 shots per game and an extra rebound on defense along with a better PPS...If the avg game is decided by 3.5 points that is the difference maker

Just sayin it's not that crazy of a contract unless you thinks green got a ridiculous contract

The biggestg difference is Green helped towards winning a title.....

BOOM!!!!!!!!

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggestg difference is Green helped towards winning a title.....

BOOM!!!!!!!!

I guess you don't understand win share % lol

That just means green had a better team around him which wasn't hard when the other team was missing their 2nd and 3rd option...not many teams could win like that...not sure how that justifies more money.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Green averaged 13.7ppg, 10rpg, 5apg, 1.8spg and 1.2bpg in the playoffs while Thompson averaged 9.6ppg, 10.8rpg, 0.5apg, 0.3spg and 1.2bpg.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ooo, ooo, i'll take a stab at this one...

no O'Brien, a "nice try" from the audience, and cats like Wiggy making a ton of excuses...?
Ding, Ding, Ding! I guess for some fans that's just enough! :D

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Green averaged 13.7ppg, 10rpg, 5apg, 1.8spg and 1.2bpg in the playoffs while Thompson averaged 9.6ppg, 10.8rpg, 0.5apg, 0.3spg and 1.2bpg.

What does that have to do with what i said above?

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's gloating about FG %? LOL. Thompson has virtually no range and Green can stretch the defense with this ability to hit the 3-pointer.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny thing is that people are knocking the Thompson deal for being too big....

....when in fact it is MUCH larger than it looks on paper. Cleveland will pay Thompson $82M over 5 years. But he is going to end up costing them A TON more.

Just this year the difference between signing Thompson to his tender and signing him long term cost the Cav's an extra $7.45M in salary that will go to Thompson. But, because of where the Cav's are at with the luxury tax, that $7.45M pay hike this year actually hits them with an extra 28.25M in tax amount.

So IF (and that is a big if) the Cav's somehow find a way to get under the luxury tax next year, resigning Thompson to this deal actually will end up costing the Cav's $110.25 over 5 years. And it almost certainly going to be more than that as I don't believe the Cav's will get under the tax threshold next year.

*And all this is under the idea that the Cav's only roster 14 players. Roster 15 players and the tax bill goes up another $4 M.

They should have forced Thompson to play under the tender and dealt with this next offseason. I still don't believe for a second that Thompson would have generated this type of interest on the open market (that is why no one tried to sign him away from the Cav's).

Edit: Bolded for emphasis on what this deal actually is.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's gloating about FG %? LOL. Thompson has virtually no range and Green can stretch the defense with this ability to hit the 3-pointer.

FG%, Point per shot, MPG and less turnovers...there is a reason Thompson has a higher offensive rating...I think more shots for steph curry and klay would be benefical over a 3 pointer from green but that's just me
The funny thing is that people are knocking the Thompson deal for being too big....

....when in fact it is MUCH larger than it looks on paper. Cleveland will pay Thompson $82M over 5 years. But he is going to end up costing them A TON more.

Just this year the difference between signing Thompson to his tender and signing him long term cost the Cav's an extra $7.45M in salary that will go to Thompson. But, because of where the Cav's are at with the luxury tax, that $7.45M pay hike this year actually hits them with an extra 28.25M in tax amount.

So IF (and that is a big if) the Cav's somehow find a way to get under the luxury tax next year, resigning Thompson to this deal actually will end up costing the Cav's $110.25 over 5 years. And it almost certainly going to be more than that as I don't believe the Cav's will get under the tax threshold next year.

*And all this is under the idea that the Cav's only roster 14 players. Roster 15 players and the tax bill goes up another $4 M.

They should have forced Thompson to play under the tender and dealt with this next offseason.

When you are rolling in the cash it really doesn't matter

Lebron is a license to print money for your franchise

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude this guy is arguing FG% when TT takes most of his shots from the paint while Draymond is an intricate part of the Warriors offense where he can shoot the 3 - and do it effectively. Cavs fans reaching today. lol

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well here's the difference I see in that comparison you've provided:

1. TT is bigger than Draymond and so it is natural for him to rebound better.
2. I would imagine he scores more efficiently & scores more points because he's not surrounded by shooters like Draymond is (e.g. Curry, Klay & Iggy) the Warriors play more TEAM ball
3. The turnovers is also more likely for Draymond because at times he's bringing the ball up court & distributing whereas TT is supposed to set up camp in the paint & wait for passes.
4. When you consider the lineups they play within on their respective teams it appears there is more opportunity for TT to stand out, yet, he falls in line neck & neck with Draymond who again, is surrounded by shooters & defenders.

I think TT held out for more money because he knew at the end of the day he probably would be given starter minutes. He knew that due to the injuries that plague that lineup Gilbert would have no choice but to pay him, so he played the game.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs better win the title this season (I have my doubts) because this salary spending splurge will limit what they can do as far as free agents for a while....

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh wow...looks like only two of those stats are close. LOL

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I thought....
And one of them is rebounding which clearly TT should have the advantage. :scratch:

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets just call this deal what it is...a desperate move on the Cavs part. On paper their lineup looks superb with LeBron, Love and Kyrie. However on the court it's anything but when 2/3 of that trio is missing due to injuries. The Cavs know that, especially Gilbert. What he didn't bank on was TT understanding the position he sat in on that roster, the cards he was dealt & how injuries on that team would force Gilberts hand. If nothing else, TT appears to be business savvy on this one.