• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tristan agrees to contract agreement

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm feeling adventurous. Anyone willing to give me 2-1 odds (I could get much better odds in Vegas but am feeling generous and confident) on Cavs winning the title for a real $ bet?

i'll give you respect for wanting to make that bet, but i ain't seeing it happen...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if you are looking for "hot buttered garbage" you dont have to look too much farther than the team in purple and gold in Staples. Although- your definition of "hot buttered garbage" sure seemed like it was a positive so maybe there is hope!

The difference is, I know what the Lakers are likely to be this year. Whether or not the Lakers are hot buttered garbage, doesn't change the fact that TT is being grossly overpaid and that the Cavs are spending almost $40,000,000 per year on one position.

Typical Wiggy bullshit though. You can't argue with logic so you try to deflect by attacking a team that isn't being discussed and posting crap that has nothing to do with the post you quoted.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's mostly the fact that he's actually trying to defend this so hard, which is what MAKES the whole thing funny...
id rather have that then 25 million tied up in Kobe Bryant!!! LOL....at least Love and Thompson PLAY. And Thompson played REALLY WELL in the playoffs.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'll give you respect for wanting to make that bet, but i ain't seeing it happen...
2-1 are the odds in Vegas that Ihave seen on the Cavs winning it all....Can you get 3-1? If I could get the Cavs 3-1 I might just have to plop down 5 hundo on it.......

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference is, I know what the Lakers are likely to be this year. Whether or not the Lakers are hot buttered garbage, doesn't change the fact that TT is being grossly overpaid and that the Cavs are spending almost $40,000,000 per year on one position.

Typical Wiggy bullshit though. You can't argue with logic so you try to deflect by attacking a team that isn't being discussed and posting crap that has nothing to do with the post you quoted.
I forgot - Thompson and Love arent allowed to play together. When you saw them play together last year it was a figment of your imigination. There is a new NBA rule that you have to designate a players position and they can ONLY play that position.....So- no more Love and Thompson playing together like they did a bunch last year. ITs illegal now....only one primary PF on the court at the same time....Thompson playing center against small lineups- which are the rule rather than the exception in todays league- was a total hallucination. it never happened. LOL

UNREAL.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's mostly the fact that he's actually trying to defend this so hard, which is what MAKES the whole thing funny...

No kidding. The Lakers have grossly overpaid Kobe for the past couple of seasons. You don't see Lakers fans trying to claim it was a good idea. The only way we've even attempted to justify it was saying that they were going to suck anyway and him being on the roster makes them more money than they will ever pay him.

Wiggy is actually making shit up to try and justify TT's contract.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot - Thompson and Love arent allowed to play together. When you saw them play together last year it was a figment of your imigination. There is a new NBA rule that you have to designate a players position and they can ONLY play that position.....So- no more Love and Thompson playing together like they did a bunch last year. ITs illegal now....only one primary PF on the court at the same time....Thompson playing center against small lineups- which are the rule rather than the exception in todays league- was a total hallucination. it never happened. LOL

UNREAL.

How does them playing together justify spending $40 million per year on 1 position? Is one of them going to be moving to SF, so they can both start?

Last year, Love averaged 34 minutes per game to TT's 27 minutes per game. That doesn't translate to a lot of minutes on the floor at the same time and is doesn't justify over $16 million per year for a backup PF.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeJuan Blair...please...gmafb....

TRISTAN THOMPSON (age 24)
8.5 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 54%, 0.7bpg, 0.5 apg, PER=15.6, Defensive Rating =106

EXPANDED TO 36 MINUTES/game
11.4ppg, 10.8 rpg

DAJUAN BLAIR (age 23)
9.5 pgg, 5.5rpg, 53%, 0.2bpg, 1.2apg, PER=17.6, Defensive Rating = 102

EXPANDED to 36 MINUTES/game
16.1 ppg, 9.3 rpg

Both were near identical players at similar points in their careers.
Both were mediocre to shit defenders. Blair was marginally better at defense. Both could not pass.
Thompson got a few more minutes, but his per minute production was the same if not slightly worse than Blair.

Both teams had decisions to make.

1) The SPurs said we are not giving you a ton of money. You are one dimensional and we dont care if you and Timmy are super close friends.

2) The CAVS said we will pay you like a superstar. You are one dimensional but close friends with Lebron.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's the "distraction technique" because he's getting schooled....

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What leads you to that conclusion?

There is just no way that they can fit another contract like this under their cap and think that it makes any sense financially to do so.

Even if they jettison Varjoa's contract next offseason (which they will) every penny of the Mosgov deal would push Cleveland over next years tax level once again when you figure in the raises due to each player under contract and the big bump that James will get when he opts out and resigns at the new max.

And with the dynamics of the contracts in Cleveland, Mosgov isn't going to accept a contract less than Thompson's next offseason (a starter doesn't get paid less than a backup).

If Mosgov next year signed the exact same deal as Thompson, he would cost the Cav's somewhere around $65M in taxes just in year one (if I understand how the tax system and the repeater tax works which I am pretty sure I do).

The cav's made a decision to go way over the tax this year. They won't go over by much at all next year. It really is as simple as that. The only way to get around this is if James once again takes a HUGE paycut and I don't see that happening.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TRISTAN THOMPSON (age 24)
8.5 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 54%, 0.7bpg, 0.5 apg, PER=15.6, Defensive Rating =106

EXPANDED TO 36 MINUTES/game
11.4ppg, 10.8 rpg

DAJUAN BLAIR (age 23)
9.5 pgg, 5.5rpg, 53%, 0.2bpg, 1.2apg, PER=17.6, Defensive Rating = 102

EXPANDED to 36 MINUTES/game
16.1 ppg, 9.3 rpg

Both were near identical players at similar points in their careers.
Both were mediocre to shit defenders. Blair was marginally better at defense. Both could not pass.
Thompson got a few more minutes, but his per minute production was the same if not slightly worse than Blair.

Both teams had decisions to make.

1) The SPurs said we are not giving you a ton of money. You are one dimensional and we dont care if you and Timmy are super close friends.

2) The CAVS said we will pay you like a superstar. You are one dimensional but close friends with Lebron.

:lol:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does them playing together justify spending $40 million per year on 1 position? Is one of them going to be moving to SF, so they can both start?

Last year, Love averaged 34 minutes per game to TT's 27 minutes per game. That doesn't translate to a lot of minutes on the floor at the same time and is doesn't justify over $16 million per year for a backup PF.
well...i know this is a concept you dont seem to grasp- but- by simple reasoning- if the guys are playing together on the court- that stands to reason they can play different positions - which is one of the main reasons Thompson is valuable- his versatility. Thompson played a ton of center in that Golden State series- as he did through out the entire year- because in todays NBA you can get away with a guy like Thompson playing center- and its a great adnvtange against smaller teams.

Not sure why this is so hard to understand- especially when the lineup that I saw the Cavs go to a ton of the time was Kyrie/Shump/LeBron/Love/Thompson.....to get their 5 best on the court together. Its what a good coach does....a coach thats not stuck in the past.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2-1 are the odds in Vegas that Ihave seen on the Cavs winning it all....Can you get 3-1? If I could get the Cavs 3-1 I might just have to plop down 5 hundo on it.......
I saw 5-2 this morning... so right in between those.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is just no way that they can fit another contract like this under their cap and think that it makes any sense financially to do so.

Even if they jettison Varjoa's contract next offseason (which they will) every penny of the Mosgov deal would push Cleveland over next years tax level once again when you figure in the raises due to each player under contract and the big bump that James will get when he opts out and resigns at the new max.

And with the dynamics of the contracts in Cleveland, Mosgov isn't going to accept a contract less than Thompson's next offseason (a starter doesn't get paid less than a backup).

If Mosgov next year signed the exact same deal as Thompson, he would cost the Cav's somewhere around $65M in taxes just in year one (if I understand how the tax system and the repeater tax works which I am pretty sure I do).

The cav's made a decision to go way over the tax this year. They won't go over by much at all next year. It really is as simple as that. The only way to get around this is if James once again takes a HUGE paycut and I don't see that happening.
again- the cap is not the number to look at- the tax line is the number to look at- last year the cap was like 65 and the tax line like 85 if i am correct...next year when the cap goes up to like 90 million - the tax line should be at least 110 million....

Love 20
Irving 17
LeBron 26 est.
Thompson 16
Shump 10
Varejao 10
Mozgov 18
Smith 5
Mo Williams 2
Delly 2
Kaun 1.5

Thats 128.....only about 18 over a rough (and conservative) estimate of the tax line which is not that significant at all. of course they have to fill out the roster- but thats 11 guys and all their main guys.....that surely seems palatable for Gilbert

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep. It looks like the Cavs have gone all in on winning this year. Lebron has said that he's done with less than max contracts and not being the highest paid player on his team and I don't blame him even a little bit. Both the Cavs and Heat were fortunate to get him for what they did for as long as they did.

But the reason he's taking these 2 year deals with an opt out after one is to make sure he gets the maximum that he can for as long as he can.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs all-time winning percentage: .459
Cavs all-time playoff appearances since 1970: 19
Cavs all-time championships: 0

Suns all-time winning percentage: .552
Suns all-time playoff appearances since 1970 (when Cavs became franchise) : 29
Suns all-time championships: 0

10 less playoff appearances than us in the same span of time. Never talk down to me again bitch, Cavs fans do not have the right to condescend when talking about PLAYOFFS. WE TALKING BOUT PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS?
OWNED!!!! :clap:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well...i know this is a concept you dont seem to grasp- but- by simple reasoning- if the guys are playing together on the court- that stands to reason they can play different positions - which is one of the main reasons Thompson is valuable- his versatility. Thompson played a ton of center in that Golden State series- as he did through out the entire year- because in todays NBA you can get away with a guy like Thompson playing center- and its a great adnvtange against smaller teams.

Not sure why this is so hard to understand- especially when the lineup that I saw the Cavs go to a ton of the time was Kyrie/Shump/LeBron/Love/Thompson.....to get their 5 best on the court together. Its what a good coach does....a coach thats not stuck in the past.

That worked out great.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TT isn't worth the contract the Cavs gave him.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That worked out great.
yah.....it did...if you would have told me Love was out, Kyrie was banged up big time, and Varejao was out for a series against the Chicago Bulls- I seriously doubt I could have picked the Cavs..... thank goodness the Cavs "Hot Buttered Garbage Bench" stepped up and played so damn good- of which Thompson was by far the best.