• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tristan agrees to contract agreement

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well...i know this is a concept you dont seem to grasp- but- by simple reasoning- if the guys are playing together on the court- that stands to reason they can play different positions - which is one of the main reasons Thompson is valuable- his versatility. Thompson played a ton of center in that Golden State series- as he did through out the entire year- because in todays NBA you can get away with a guy like Thompson playing center- and its a great adnvtange against smaller teams.

Not sure why this is so hard to understand- especially when the lineup that I saw the Cavs go to a ton of the time was Kyrie/Shump/LeBron/Love/Thompson.....to get their 5 best on the court together. Its what a good coach does....a coach thats not stuck in the past.

So now you're paying a backup PF and Center who's 1 dimensional at both positions over $16 million per year? How brilliant.

Face it, you're just trying to justify a basically unjustifiable contract. TT isn't worth what he's being paid. You've already said that. Why are you now trying to justify it?

It's real simple. He's not worth that much money, but because of cap restrictions, he left the Cavs little choice. As I said, the Cavs did the right thing by not letting him force them into an even worse contract. But make no mistake, this is about the lesser of 2 evils, not about it actually being a good contract for the Cavs.

If the Cavs do win the title this year, it will make the contract worth it. But it still won't make it a good contract or make TT worth the money.

It's not entirely different from Kobe's contract. Kobe isn't even close to being worth what he's being paid and hasn't been for at least 4 years. The Lakers gave it to him because of what he's meant to the team and what he means to the financial bottom line. But, even without the injuries, it still wouldn't be a good contract.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now you're paying a backup PF and Center who's 1 dimensional at both positions over $16 million per year? How brilliant.

Face it, you're just trying to justify a basically unjustifiable contract. TT isn't worth what he's being paid. You've already said that. Why are you now trying to justify it?

It's real simple. He's not worth that much money, but because of cap restrictions, he left the Cavs little choice. As I said, the Cavs did the right thing by not letting him force them into an even worse contract. But make no mistake, this is about the lesser of 2 evils, not about it actually being a good contract for the Cavs.

If the Cavs do win the title this year, it will make the contract worth it. But it still won't make it a good contract or make TT worth the money.

It's not entirely different from Kobe's contract. Kobe isn't even close to being worth what he's being paid and hasn't been for at least 4 years. The Lakers gave it to him because of what he's meant to the team and what he means to the financial bottom line. But, even without the injuries, it still wouldn't be a good contract.

lol...sometimes I wonder man...i just shake my head....Like I said- everyone gets overpaid- Tyson Chandler got a 4 year deal and he is mostly a walking corpse at this point. DEMARRE CARROLL got 60 Million dollars who was nothing but a scrub before last year. Wes Mathews is getting almost 18M a year after coming off a devastating achilees injury and starting to get up there- Kanter got almost 18m a year and he might be the worst defensive big this side of Kelly Olnyk. If you dont think Thompson is worth 16M a year- I'm with ya- right up until the point where you look at the rest of the NBA and realize there is a new normal with the cap going up. HARRISON BARNES JUST TURNED down 65 million dollars!

The differene between Tristan and Kobe is that Kobe got a severance package and cant stay healthy and cant play---- Thompson can actually play and is only getting better. And if Jonas Valuncuinas is getting 16M a year I can certainly see how Thompson would want the same!

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he started and got this deal I would think it's par for the course of deals being handed out. Being off the bench makes me think it's way too much. Cavs going all in and he makes their bench better with his rebounding and defense, so they're willing to live with the overpay.

I don't think Reggie Jackson is bad, maybe paid more than I would have guessed but with Jennings coming off an injury and being someone they could possibly look to move, Reggie fits well imo with that young core of players in Drummond, KCP, and Stanley Johnson.

As far as the Suns go, I'd rather have Dragic over Knight but it didn't look likely for him staying past the 2014-2015 season so at least they got someone good for him. And I can't criticize their IT trade when the Kings gave him up to the Suns for very little.
Well seeing as though Love & Kyrie are both destined to be hurt at some point during the reg season and possibly post season it will turn out they paid a starting salary for a starter.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol...sometimes I wonder man...i just shake my head....Like I said- everyone gets overpaid- Tyson Chandler got a 4 year deal and he is mostly a walking corpse at this point. DEMARRE CARROLL got 60 Million dollars who was nothing but a scrub before last year. Wes Mathews is getting almost 18M a year after coming off a devastating achilees injury and starting to get up there- Kanter got almost 18m a year and he might be the worst defensive big this side of Kelly Olnyk. If you dont think Thompson is worth 16M a year- If with ya- right up until the point where you look at the rest of the NBA and realize there is a new normal with the cap going up. HARRISON BARNES JUST TURNED down 65 million dollars!

The differene between Tristan and Kobe is that Kobe got a severance package and cant stay healthy and cant play---- Thompson can actually play and is only getting better. And if Jonas Valuncuinas is getting 16M a year I can certainly see how Thompson would want the same!

I agree that everyone gets overpaid. However, they don't typically get overpaid like TT. The other difference between Kobe and TT (the one you neglected to mention) is that Kobe has 5 championship rings, multiple all star appearances and is a future 1st ballot Hall of Famer. He has already made more money for the Lakers than they will ever pay him.

So, while I think that he is being grossly overpaid, at least a case can be made that he earned the "severance package" that the Lakers gave him.

Meanwhile, TT's contract is based on a playoff run where he barely increased his production over the regular season despite playing nearly 10 more minutes per game.

Again, why are you now changing your story and claiming that TT is worth this much money after you said he isn't?

Last edited:

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Gilbert was your owner rather than Sarver you probably have a title or two. Add Joe Johnson and Rondo to those teams.. DAYUM!!!!!
Because as the owner of the Cavs Gilbert has won championships??? :L:scratch:

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much sums up my feelings. Looking at the contract in a black box makes it seem a lot more insane than looking at it in context with the other options the Cavs had.

Also.... I don't know why people are so caught up on him being a 'backup'. It depends on what health issues the Cavs face this season... but I will be shocked if TT isn't at least in the top 6 for minutes this season. (He was #4 behind Kyrie, Lebron, and Love last season) He will be a very important part of the rotation throughout the season and the playoffs.
THIS^^^^^^

He'll be starting more than people know & Russy wants to admit. Admitting it would mean agreeing with us about the injury prone starters on that team.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again- the cap is not the number to look at- the tax line is the number to look at- last year the cap was like 65 and the tax line like 85 if i am correct...next year when the cap goes up to like 90 million - the tax line should be at least 110 million....

Love 20
Irving 17
LeBron 26 est.
Thompson 16
Shump 10
Varejao 10
Mozgov 18
Smith 5
Mo Williams 2
Delly 2
Kaun 1.5

Thats 128.....only about 18 over a rough (and conservative) estimate of the tax line which is not that significant at all. of course they have to fill out the roster- but thats 11 guys and all their main guys.....that surely seems palatable for Gilbert

The numbers I used to figure out that $65M tax hit are almost exactly what you used there including the $110 tax threshold.

I put the Cav's $20M over the cap because I knew they would have to fill out the back half of their roster.

The luxury tax is not a $1 tax on $1. It is MUCH more than that and even higher for a repeat offender team like the Cav's will qualify for next season.

Again I don't think there is anyway that the Cav's signed Thompson with the idea of going over the tax level two years in a row. They signed him knowing it would be over this coming season and then back to normal next year.

IF the Cav's are $5M over the tax level next year, it costs $12.5M in tax.
IF the Cav's are $10M over the tax level next year, it costs $12.5M in tax for the first $5M and $13.75M for the next $5M.
IF the Cav's are $15M over the tax level next year, it costs $12.5M in tax for the first $5M and $13.75M for the 2nd $5M and $17.5 for the next $5M.
IF the Cav's are $20M over the tax level next year, it costs $12.5M in tax for the first $5M and $13.75M for the 2nd $5M and $17.5 for the 3rd $5M and $21.5M for the next $5M.

12.5+ 13.75+ 17.5+ 21.5 = $65.25M

At least that is how I understand it.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well seeing as though Love & Kyrie are both destined to be hurt at some point during the reg season and possibly post season it will turn out they paid a starting salary for a starter.
When I saw this deal one thing that came to mind was "that's a very expensive insurance policy for Kevin Love".

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although looking at my numbers now I realize I didn't subtract Varjoa from it. So once you factor in him and his non guaranteed deal (I think it is non-guaranteed anyway) getting cut it does drop the tax hit quite a bit.

Of course it all does depend on the cap jumping to that $90M mark. They are always off by a couple million one way or the other each year and the Cav's need the current estimates to be on the small side.

Also of note is that if the cap is $90M next season, James first year in his contract at max level will be $29.5M.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
id rather have that then 25 million tied up in Kobe Bryant!!! LOL....at least Love and Thompson PLAY. And Thompson played REALLY WELL in the playoffs.

you mean when they ain't H-U-R-T...?(referring to Love)

and how's this going around the FACT that TT's OVERPAID...?:lol:

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I saw this deal one thing that came to mind was "that's a very expensive insurance policy for Kevin Love".
EXACTLY

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that everyone gets overpaid. However, they don't typically get overpaid like TT. The other difference between Kobe and TT (the one you neglected to mention) is that Kobe has 5 championship rings, multiple all star appearances and is a future 1st ballot Hall of Famer. He has already made more money for the Lakers than they will ever pay him.

So, while I think that he is being grossly overpaid, at least a case can be made that he earned the "severance package" that the Lakers gave him.

Meanwhile, TT's contract is based on a playoff run where he barely increased his production over the regular season despite playing nearly 10 more minutes per game.

Again, why are you now changing your story and claiming that TT is worth this much money after you said he isn't.
And....and they didn't WIN a title while he was their starter. I might be able to understand this contract had they won last season.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why didn't the Cavs acquire Joe Johnson? :pound:

Remember when that was being discussed? Comedy Gold.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah.....it did...if you would have told me Love was out, Kyrie was banged up big time, and Varejao was out for a series against the Chicago Bulls- I seriously doubt I could have picked the Cavs..... thank goodness the Cavs "Hot Buttered Garbage Bench" stepped up and played so damn good- of which Thompson was by far the best.
And what exactly did they get for that performance at the end of that series? :doh:

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what exactly did they get for that performance at the end of that series? :doh:

ooo, ooo, i'll take a stab at this one...

no O'Brien, a "nice try" from the audience, and cats like Wiggy making a ton of excuses...?

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS^^^^^^

He'll be starting more than people know & Russy wants to admit. Admitting it would mean agreeing with us about the injury prone starters on that team.

you ain't saying the Cavs are making a title run with break-away players...?

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait till James starts his inevitable decline and he's already sitting out preseason games because he's banged up and to make sure he's fresh for the regular season.