• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Triple Espresso of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you believe the shit people like Lindsay spew, there aren't even questions. Just a direct deposit in a lake of fire. So maybe that's what he means.

Seriously if folks believe in this, I would hope God had a sense of humor and a thrill of seeing the faces of those as they are told nope as they are being sent to the fire pit.

Basically teasing them with the thought they are getting through the gates to get denied.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never heard of the potatoe stuff before my current job. A coworker, who seems smart, talks about putting potatoes on her injuries or sickness areas....

I'm sure it works...

Next time she mentions it be sure to put on your best Arnold voice and inform her that "it's not a tuber!".

HR worthy?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nc5hw5w70ef41.jpg

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm no fan of Trudeau but this isn't really on him. First paragraph cites increased material costs, land, etc..

I know you hate Trudeau but blaming this on him seems a tad misplaced.

Unless you're talking about buying it in the first place because you are in favour of transitioning away from fossil fuels. If so I stand corrected. :suds:

Just blame blackface Trudeau so you can all be more like the United States.

:behindsofa:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm no fan of Trudeau but this isn't really on him. First paragraph cites increased material costs, land, etc..

I know you hate Trudeau but blaming this on him seems a tad misplaced.

Unless you're talking about buying it in the first place because you are in favour of transitioning away from fossil fuels. If so I stand corrected. :suds:
I don’t believe a word he said - steel is basically the same price today, carbon or stainless, as it was a year ago, which was up only slightly on the year before. Construction labour is unionized and pay increases are on a fixed schedule for the duration of a CBA. Maybe land prices went up a bit but this much?

Either the cost was always going to be this high to construct it and they hid the cost at the time of the purchase or they bungled it since and it’s becoming another example of governments being unable to deliver capital projects on time and on budget. In short, the governments either being shady or incompetent. How wouldn’t that fall on Trudeau?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And just for the record, I dislike virtually every Canadian politician at the moment. They’re all absolutely awful.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t believe a word he said - steel is basically the same price today, carbon or stainless, as it was a year ago, which was up only slightly on the year before. Construction labour is unionized and pay increases are on a fixed schedule for the duration of a CBA. Maybe land prices went up a bit but this much?

Either the cost was always going to be this high to construct it and they hid the cost at the time of the purchase or they bungled it since and it’s becoming another example of governments being unable to deliver capital projects on time and on budget. In short, the governments either being shady or incompetent. How wouldn’t that fall on Trudeau?

It's run by a government corporation so ultimately it falls on Trudeau but this seems pretty far removed from his lane, so to speak. I won't comment on the price of steel etc. cited in the article as I have no idea what they actually cost.

It seems to me that some of the following has happened:

1) Original estimate was poor.
2) Current estimate is inflated.
3) Things have happened that have jacked up costs.

I'd bet it's a little bit of all three.

Again, if you think that buying into this was a bad idea I can understand (and mostly agree with) your concerns, but these estimates and day to day operations have little or nothing to do with Trudeau or any political party for that matter. These are almost certainly non-partisan bureaucratic jobs that are just as likely to have been done by people hired under the Harper government as they are by people hired in the last 5 years.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's run by a government corporation so ultimately it falls on Trudeau but this seems pretty far removed from his lane, so to speak. I won't comment on the price of steel etc. cited in the article as I have no idea what they actually cost.

It seems to me that some of the following has happened:

1) Original estimate was poor.
2) Current estimate is inflated.
3) Things have happened that have jacked up costs.

I'd bet it's a little bit of all three.

Again, if you think that buying into this was a bad idea I can understand (and mostly agree with) your concerns, but these estimates and day to day operations have little or nothing to do with Trudeau or any political party for that matter. These are almost certainly non-partisan bureaucratic jobs that are just as likely to have been done by people hired under the Harper government as they are by people hired in the last 5 years.

Quick correction.

Looking at the management team of the Transmountain Corp. shows that there are no obvious political appointees (from any government). It basically is all people from private industry, and mostly from Western Canada.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just on the construction crews being unionized... i know projects of this size/scope usually use specialized labour/global construction giants that can sometimes tend not to have unionized employees.

is it possible that kinder morgan wasnt going to rely that heavily on domestic labour and use foreign crews or non unionized crews like so many private companies/developers tend to do?

when govt got its hand on the job, does this now make it a union only labour project?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just on the construction crews being unionized... i know projects of this size/scope usually use specialized labour/global construction giants that can sometimes tend not to have unionized employees.

is it possible that kinder morgan wasnt going to rely that heavily on domestic labour and use foreign crews or non unionized crews like so many private companies/developers tend to do?

when govt got its hand on the job, does this now make it a union only labour project?
Don’t know if it’s official policy or law federally (it is in many provinces but that would only apply to provincial works) but I’ve done a handful of federal contracts and they’ve all included union labour clauses.

If the feds entered into this knowing that cost estimates accounted for non-union labour then they absolutely knew it was going to wind up costing them a lot more than it would’ve cost KM.

Quick correction.

Looking at the management team of the Transmountain Corp. shows that there are no obvious political appointees (from any government). It basically is all people from private industry, and mostly from Western Canada.
I’m not accusing them of cronyism, I’m accusing them of not doing the proper due diligence and getting blindsided at a time where they’re already running massive deficits.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gordon Sondland has been fired along with Lt. Colonel Vindman lol

Status
Not open for further replies.