• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Triple Espresso of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it can be understated how important of a priority affordable housing is in this country - As the father of two daughters, it keeps me up nights wondering how they are going to pay for a decent place to live. I joke that I am on the Freedom 75 plan, but the reality is I think I will have to keep working to try to help them out as much as I can.

I hear ya. I think a housing market collapse might be in the cards. It's gotten out of hand, IMO.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it can be understated how important of a priority affordable housing is in this country - As the father of two daughters, it keeps me up nights wondering how they are going to pay for a decent place to live. I joke that I am on the Freedom 75 plan, but the reality is I think I will have to keep working to try to help them out as much as I can.
Not really sure there’s a way around that other than for people to start moving to cheaper cities. Sure there are drawbacks to living in Halifax instead of Vancouver but acting like you’re a prisoner to a city when freedom of movement is a thing and regions of this country are literally begging for people to relocate there and have work available in nearly any industry you can think of is something I don’t have much time for.
I hear ya. I think a housing market collapse might be in the cards. It's gotten out of hand, IMO.
I know prices went down a bit last year in Vancouver overall but there is next to no chance the market in TO is coming to a head. Places to Grow landlocked the region and both internal & external immigration has put strains on the system absolutely nobody was ready for.

The only thing that would slow the housing market would be a massive economic crash. A small one wouldn't do much. There's simply way too much demand.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The average rent on a two bedroom in Regina is $1090. In Winnipeg it's $1250. In Windsor it's $990. Put more resources in places that are still affordable and starving for newcomers, Castro Jr.

Newcomers to Canada struggle amid Toronto’s housing crisis

I'm not sure how to do it but I agree that smaller urban centres need to be the landing place for more of the immigrants to Canada. Somewhere they can afford to upgrade their training/licensing and then make a contribution. They're not helping anyone, including themselves, in Vancouver and Toronto if all they can do is live hand to mouth.

The problem is that newly arrived immigrants want to go to where the diaspora from their homeland has already established a community. It insulates them from culture shock, racism, hate crimes, etc.. Those places are predominantly Toronto and Vancouver.

Perhaps a good start would be making places like Regina and Winnipeg more welcoming to immigrants. Not an easy task, me thinks.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really sure there’s a way around that other than for people to start moving to cheaper cities. Sure there are drawbacks to living in Halifax instead of Vancouver but acting like you’re a prisoner to a city when freedom of movement is a thing and regions of this country are literally begging for people to relocate there and have work available in nearly any industry you can think of is something I don’t have much time for.

That's certainly one approach - When I moved out to the island back in the summer of 2008, I originally looked at places in Victoria, but they were pretty pricey even back then and I decided to look further up island. I ended up with a nice place for way less money which has subsequently gone up in value as more people are finding Victoria way too expensive and are relocating to where I am living now.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure how to do it but I agree that smaller urban centres need to be the landing place for more of the immigrants to Canada. Somewhere they can afford to upgrade their training/licensing and then make a contribution. They're not helping anyone, including themselves, in Vancouver and Toronto if all they can do is live hand to mouth.

The problem is that newly arrived immigrants want to go to where the diaspora from their homeland has already established a community. It insulates them from culture shock, racism, hate crimes, etc.. Those places are predominantly Toronto and Vancouver.

Perhaps a good start would be making places like Regina and Winnipeg more welcoming to immigrants. Not an easy task, me thinks.
All true. The government is likely spending far more to support people in Vancouver & Toronto than they would by training & relocating for a fee the staff and support workers needed to help newcomers acclimatize in smaller urban areas.

People seem to forget that as recently as the 80s Toronto and Vancouver were almost wholesale white. The Hong Kong turnover completely changed Vancouver and Toronto just started seeing immigration from pretty much everywhere on earth white people didn't exist and within 20 years the entire makeup of these places changed. It's not like there wasn't resistance (and mistakes made) in those cities. Eventually things change. There needs to be a start somewhere. The Prairies will be a lot better off in 20 years if they have a healthy community of second-generation Canadians happy to call it home.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's certainly one approach - When I moved out to the island back in the summer of 2008, I originally looked at places in Victoria, but they were pretty pricey even back then and I decided to look further up island. I ended up with a nice place for way less money which has subsequently gone up in value as more people are finding Victoria way too expensive and are relocating to where I am living now.
The current problem-solver class seems conclude that the only answer is to force as many people as possible to live in high-rises and raise their families there.

The problem is most people who want to raise families don't want to do so in condos. They still want the house and the picket fence.

It's why I cringe when gov'ts like Ontario's last one says they won't build highways anymore and think the world should be moving by trains as if everybody wants to be a commuter and produce crates can get to grocery stores by subway.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 sniff for every Iranian cultural site targeted (plus 6 just for fun).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While that poster is either an idiot or a parody account, I'm on the fuck the monarchy train 100%. Get that old windbag and her incestuous family off my money before her twit of a son takes the throne.

Status
Not open for further replies.