• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Triple Espresso of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FFS. Bunch of idiots. An acquaintance of mine was on that flight.

As an aside I was speaking this morning with some friends of hers and we were wondering why so many Iranian-Canadians were on a flight to Kiev. It turns out there is a direct Kiev-Toronto flight and they tend to take that route. The reason? In some of the other Western European hubs people from the middle east tend to get harassed by customs and immigration pretty badly. One Iranian guy who was in on the conversation told me that it's way easier to go to Frankfurt then go direct to Canada but he was repeatedly given such a hard time there that he just avoided it and always took the Kiev route.

It all just makes my blood boil.
So it turns out I’m within 1 or 2 degrees of way more Iranians than I realized. Someone I work with has been off for the holidays and went to Iran like he does every year, my boss and I were going through the passenger list to make sure he wasn’t on it.

It also turns out that almost every Iranian in Canada was within 1 or 2 degrees of someone on that flight. It’s crazy - people say “the whole community has been affected” a lot but it really seems like it was this time.

Re: flying this route & connection, another coworker told me that the Ukrainian route is the cheapest so that probably plays a big part in its popularity too.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a guy on tv yesterday who was on the connecting flight to Toronto who said he couldn’t believe he lucked out and got the whole row to himself only to find out the reason his row was empty. He didn’t look good.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus Christ :L

Another CBC reporter tried baiting Trudeau into saying as much in his press conference and good on him for not taking the bait. And yes, this is the CBC promo’ing their own idiotic question.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baiting or no, I'd have to say yes. There's good reason previous administrations didn't go after Soleimani, deeming it too risky, and Trump was warned repeatedly about the risks.

The retaliation from Iran and its clandestine network is far from over.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I learned about the bellingcat crew at a class I took a few years ago and have been consistently amazed at some of the work they do. Sometimes I have to a do a lot of what they do trying to locate where something happened. So I pay attention when they speak.

Someone posted a video that appeared to show the missile impact on the plane. Of course everyone immediately jumped in and screamed about it based on their own personal bias.

These guys simply proved that it was indeed legit.

Video Apparently Showing Flight PS752 Missile Strike Geolocated to Iranian Suburb - bellingcat

By the way, these guys also helped figure out where the missile that took down MH17 likely came from.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baiting or no, I'd have to say yes. There's good reason previous administrations didn't go after Soleimani, deeming it too risky, and Trump was warned repeatedly about the risks.

The retaliation from Iran and its clandestine network is far from over.
What was the appropriate retaliation for Iranian provocations over the last year and how would it have resulted in a less-heightened sense of alert in the Iranian military that would've negated this possibility?

The short of this, like it was when the USS Vincennes shot down a civilian airliner in the 80s, is that a military fuckup killed 180 people. Nobody - not Trump, not Trudeau, nobody is trying to make this out as anything other than an obviously terrible mistake even if Iran has yet to admit that this is what happened.

The itch to blame Trump for every bad thing is exhausting and only serves to minimize the actual bad things he does.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The itch to blame Trump for every bad thing is exhausting and only serves to minimize the actual bad things he does.

Agree, but I think continuing to try and pin stuff on him is worthwhile in case something actually sticks some day.

I mean, Capone went to prison for Tax Evasion... OJ for stealing memorobilia.

That said, it's not his "fault". He just a moron who escalated a situation any moron should have been smart enough to not do, which had tragic peripheral consequences.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was the appropriate retaliation for Iranian provocations over the last year and how would it have resulted in a less-heightened sense of alert in the Iranian military that would've negated this possibility?
Iranian provocations that began because Trump abandoned the nuclear deal from 2015 and instituted new sanctions. So, don't do that, and the provocations likely don't happen.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem saying that that the Iranians are the ones who deserve the blame for this. That being said it WAS caused by a chain reaction. It's a short chain with not many links between a bunch of dead civilians and Donald Trump.
This. Iran is at fault and we all know that. But waking the sleeping giant caused this.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On to another topic:
Retired Gwinnett deputy killed in Buford auto parts store shooting

First let me state RIP and it is an innocent person died.

Anyway, the "good guy with the gun" who I might add was a retired deputy with training is dead.
See vigilante justice does not work and what most of the "good guy with a gun" NRA arguments fail to realize the "bad" people with guns that usually get shot and killed because guess what they wanted to die anyway. In this case, the robber had no intentions of dying and got away.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

11d4d847f321ad79e2f8a5741363f261.jpg

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iranian provocations that began because Trump abandoned the nuclear deal from 2015 and instituted new sanctions. So, don't do that, and the provocations likely don't happen.
Nuclear deal needed because Iran's been threatening to blow up Israel for 30 years resulting from a revolution that occurred because the US and British overthrew Mossadegh and reinstalled the Shah as leader.

So really we should be blaming Winston Churchill and Dwight Eisenhower, right?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nuclear deal needed because Iran's been threatening to blow up Israel for 30 years resulting from a revolution that occurred because the US and British overthrew Mossadegh and reinstalled the Shah as leader.

So really we should be blaming Winston Churchill and Dwight Eisenhower, right?

Immediately? We should be blaming the guy who backed out of the deal that was dealing with that issue.

Trump's foreign policy is reckless at best. And as the leader who took specific, direct, and aggressive action--especially without proper process, and on the basis of spotty information--he does bear responsibility for any fallout, even if its rooted in historical tensions, carried out by other parties.

His job is to act to mitigate or outright prevent these sorts of things. He failed. He gets blame. That's it.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Immediately? We should be blaming the guy who backed out of the deal that was dealing with that issue.

Trump's foreign policy is reckless at best. And as the leader who took specific, direct, and aggressive action--especially without proper process, and on the basis of spotty information--he does bear responsibility for any fallout, even if its rooted in historical tensions, carried out by other parties.

His job is to act to mitigate or outright prevent these sorts of things. He failed. He gets blame. That's it.
Fallout would be a war. An attack. Anything purposely directed against the US military or civilians. Fallout would be an intentional bombing ie: Pan Am 103.

This is either an accident or a rogue operator of a missile battery acting out of line. It carries even less water than blaming Obama & Hillary for Benghazi.

Status
Not open for further replies.