• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trevanthan Vs. Brandon Marshall

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny Trevathan's Contract

Something to think about:

Trevathan signs with the Bears for 4 years and $24 million - while Marshall gets 4 years and $32 million. Therefore Marshall costs $2 million more than Trevathan does each year. Are they really $2 million apart as players?

I think Marshall is better than Trevathan (who was a favorite of mine) - just because he can do more things on the football field well than Trevathan. But, I'd say the difference in pay is more related to Trevathan's injury history - and suspect knee (rebuilt).

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both great players. Hard to argue either. Sadly could only keep one, and injury history appears to be the real difference here. I love the way both play and you knew it was going to be sad seeing one of them leave. Trevathan was one of my favorite Broncos to watch on the field. Simple way to put his style of play was "GUTS", but obviously knowing Marshall personally I really wanted him to remain a Bronco, so I am staying out of this one...

I miss Trev already!, and like I said before of all the FA's we have lost the past few years I think Ill miss him the most for the type of player he was. Dude had balls bigger then Crash's blueberry collection combined.

RDog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have read that Marshall is one of the leaders on this defense. Yes, I really liked Danny, but Denver seems to get that leadership is extremely important to building championship teams. Were it not for Ware's leadership I don't think he would be around this year.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have read that Marshall is one of the leaders on this defense. Yes, I really liked Danny, but Denver seems to get that leadership is extremely important to building championship teams. Were it not for Ware's leadership I don't think he would be around this year.

Read? Hell you didn't have to read that to know it. :thumb:

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both great players. Hard to argue either. Sadly could only keep one, and injury history appears to be the real difference here. I love the way both play and you knew it was going to be sad seeing one of them leave. Trevathan was one of my favorite Broncos to watch on the field. Simple way to put his style of play was "GUTS", but obviously knowing Marshall personally I really wanted him to remain a Bronco, so I am staying out of this one...

I miss Trev already!, and like I said before of all the FA's we have lost the past few years I think Ill miss him the most for the type of player he was. Dude had balls bigger then Crash's blueberry collection combined.

Great post junior.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes - another reason Marshall is a more valuable player - his leadership (and story).

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually those numbers are not quite true. The Broncos signed Marshall to an extension on top of his RFA Tag this year that is around $2.5 million. So in reality Marshall's deal is 5-years $34.5 million. So that means we are looking at a deal that pays him $6.9 million per year compared to 4-years $24 or about $6 million a year. So the numbers are not quite as far apart as some would think.

The other part to remember with this is Marshall is the more valuable piece of the two. When we went to our hybrid Nickel defense where Ward actually became one of the linebackers it was Trevathan that was taken off the field. When we went to our dime defense with only one linebacker on the field again it was Marshall that was left on the field not Trevathan.

Snap count wise Trevathan played on 67.15% of the snaps or 736 snaps. Brandon Marshall was in for 83.49% of the snaps or 915 snaps. So we are talking almost 2 to 2 1/2 games more worth of snaps this past season. In fact Marshall logged the 3rd most snaps of any defensive player only behind Talib and Harris.

If we go by a per snap basis the money is actually pretty darn close between the two. When you add in injury history Marshall definitely is the one with the lower risk of serious injury at this point in their career.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking those numbers seemed off.

I also refrained from pointing out the spelling error on Trevathan's last name in the title. ;) But you know how much shiat I like giving Mingo when he misspells players last names.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually those numbers are not quite true. The Broncos signed Marshall to an extension on top of his RFA Tag this year that is around $2.5 million. So in reality Marshall's deal is 5-years $34.5 million. So that means we are looking at a deal that pays him $6.9 million per year compared to 4-years $24 or about $6 million a year. So the numbers are not quite as far apart as some would think.

The other part to remember with this is Marshall is the more valuable piece of the two. When we went to our hybrid Nickel defense where Ward actually became one of the linebackers it was Trevathan that was taken off the field. When we went to our dime defense with only one linebacker on the field again it was Marshall that was left on the field not Trevathan.

Snap count wise Trevathan played on 67.15% of the snaps or 736 snaps. Brandon Marshall was in for 83.49% of the snaps or 915 snaps. So we are talking almost 2 to 2 1/2 games more worth of snaps this past season. In fact Marshall logged the 3rd most snaps of any defensive player only behind Talib and Harris.

If we go by a per snap basis the money is actually pretty darn close between the two. When you add in injury history Marshall definitely is the one with the lower risk of serious injury at this point in their career.

Great post CD

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that was missed in this discussion was that Marshall is the play caller on the field. He is the one receiving the play from Wade and then relaying it to the rest of the team. He also is calling the audibles and making sure everyone is in position.

This alone makes him almost invaluable because there just are not many players that are really good at it. You saw the effect that it had during the times that Marshall was hurt, the defense just did not play as well during those times.

Overall I really do think Danny T was the more gifted player athletically, but I will take a player that is slightly less athletically gifted, but has more intelligence and better instincts every time. This is not a knock on Danny T either, I wish the guy the best in Chicago, I am just happy that we went this route if it was the choice presented to us. Plus, Davis, Nelson, and maybe even Anderson seem to have the ability to step in for Danny T and replace his production and I am fairly certain the D would not skip a beat, I am not sure the same can be said of Marshall.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that was missed in this discussion was that Marshall is the play caller on the field. He is the one receiving the play from Wade and then relaying it to the rest of the team. He also is calling the audibles and making sure everyone is in position.

This alone makes him almost invaluable because there just are not many players that are really good at it. You saw the effect that it had during the times that Marshall was hurt, the defense just did not play as well during those times.

Overall I really do think Danny T was the more gifted player athletically, but I will take a player that is slightly less athletically gifted, but has more intelligence and better instincts every time. This is not a knock on Danny T either, I wish the guy the best in Chicago, I am just happy that we went this route if it was the choice presented to us. Plus, Davis, Nelson, and maybe even Anderson seem to have the ability to step in for Danny T and replace his production and I am fairly certain the D would not skip a beat, I am not sure the same can be said of Marshall.

This

Enjoyable post.