• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trae Waynes

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew won't pick any of these kids in the first. He said he he only liked CB's who run 4.5 or better in the 40 yard dash.

Waynes is a top 15 lock at this point. Jalen Collins isn't that impressive, not a sound tackler... Usually lunges at people feet.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew won't pick any of these kids in the first. He said he he only liked CB's who run 4.5 or better in the 40 yard dash.

Waynes is a top 15 lock at this point. Jalen Collins isn't that impressive, not a sound tackler... Usually lunges at people feet.
Unless they're over 6'0", per the rest of that quote. These taller CBs change that dynamic a bit.

I'd consider Johnson and Peters to be possibilities for us at #23, at least as of right now...

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless they're over 6'0", per the rest of that quote. These taller CBs change that dynamic a bit.

I'd consider Johnson and Peters to be possibilities for us at #23, at least as of right now...

I don't know about Peters. I think Ford Jr. put the haults on all those head cases after that one nightmare off-season.
Even though they are having talks about Re-signing Fairley so who knows

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They sign Mathis again and I am all for taking Kevin White TCU who may be there in 3rd rd. and plugging him as nickel CB from day one. Only 5'9" so would have issues for sure with the likes of Marshall and Alshon. I do feel he will be fine with the Antonio Brown style guys. Not every CB has to be 6'+.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They sign Mathis again and I am all for taking Kevin White TCU who may be there in 3rd rd. and plugging him as nickel CB from day one. Only 5'9" so would have issues for sure with the likes of Marshall and Alshon. I do feel he will be fine with the Antonio Brown style guys. Not every CB has to be 6'+.

Although I've said the 40 isn't the end all be all of players evaluation... K. White (The CB) ran a 4.63 which is alarmingly slow to me for a small CB. You put any of those small speed guys in the slot and they get past him, It's all over.

Even though this guy might have a bit longer learning curve... The upside is higher if we are talking 3rd or 4th round guys for the slot CB position.

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Damarious Randall

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not always get caught up with combine numbers and the biggest is the 40 time. You get a bad start from a track start position and will look bad. Gurley if healthy and had bad forty times would not change his stock much IMO. His game film shows otherwise.

It may throw up a red flag like his time on this particular time. Kids run different in pads...
The one combine drill that means most to me is the bench when looking at certain positions.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-cone and 20 yd shuttle seems most appropriate to me when discussing RB's, CB's or WR's.

like Gandy stated 40's at the combine shouldn't merit as highly as some media tout them to be for the mere fact none of these guys are in pads and on a field. If I see speed from a player on the field and his 40 numbers appear less I'm not all that concerned. We went through this last year when Sammy Watkins posted a 4.43 and a few of us (Gandy, myself and maybe Thunder or TP) saw better speed on field of play than what that combine # showed.

Jerry Rice, Anquan Boldin and Keenen Allen all had 4.70+ 40's.... Vontez Burfict 5+ 40, he turned out to be pretty damn good LB'er for Cincy until his late season injury.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-cone and 20 yd shuttle seems most appropriate to me when discussing RB's, CB's or WR's.

like Gandy stated 40's at the combine shouldn't merit as highly as some media tout them to be for the mere fact none of these guys are in pads and on a field. If I see speed from a player on the field and his 40 numbers appear less I'm not all that concerned. We went through this last year when Sammy Watkins posted a 4.43 and a few of us (Gandy, myself and maybe Thunder or TP) saw better speed on field of play than what that combine # showed.

Jerry Rice, Anquan Boldin and Keenen Allen all had 4.70+ 40's.... Vontez Burfict 5+ 40, he turned out to be pretty damn good LB'er for Cincy until his late season injury.

:agree::10:

Been saying this for years now. I think it goes for pretty much all positions other than QB and kicking/punting. Pro ball is played in a phone booth (do they still have those?). Seldomly do players go 40 yards untouched in a straight line.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^ Then I guess it would be appropriate for you and I to sit down, drink a couple 40's, all the while nearly everyone else is bitching about players combine #'s in the 40. gotta go old school, nasty tasting, so I won't ever have to drink another one though.