• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Analysts Really Working Overtime

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to convince the Bengals and Joe Burrow to go a different way. No one wants to see the Bengals draft Burrow. Not sure if that is because they don't want the Bengals to be a team that is feared and to justify Mike Brown's penny pinching ways. Granted, there is no guarantee Burrow will succeed in Cincinnati, or anywhere in the NFL for that matter. However, I was listening to a pod cast from a Saints fan that has such a hard on for Joe Burrow, he would be all for the Saints giving up their next 10 1st round picks (that is right, I said next 10) for 20 years of Burrow in the Saints offense, an offense he played in last year basically.

So they are trying to plant a seed in the Bengals brass heads, Joe Burrow is not going to want to play for you, he will pull an Eli Manning. Convincing other teams, any team to take him, or the Bengals to pass on him and take Chase Young instead.

Trying to convince Burrow he has no chance for success in Cincinnati.

Honestly, I know people are not a fan of it, but I say you franchise Green for a year, see how he rebounds, if he can stay healthy and see how he does with Burrow. You have Ross, Boyd and Tate coming back. You have Joe Mixon and Bernard. Plus, most bang for your buck, I say you sign Eifert to another 1 year contract, make it incentive laden based off games appeared in.

You need to sign someone in FA for the Line. I know the line sucked, and we can use another star there. No doubt. We definitely need work on defense. There were a few encouraging signs from defense last year. We have to do something about LB, Vigil was one of the worst tacklers at LB in the NFL last year. Pratt started playing better, but I would only classify it as league average at best. Our LB'ers are the worst in the NFL. Something has to change there.

I am thinking if you can grab a RT and LB in FA who are above average..so not bank breaking, but above average for a decent rate, then you forgo any trade, no matter what, draft Burrow and go LB at #33, maybe even trade back into the 1st round if there is a guy worth taking in the mid 20's.

I do agree with Orlavski and McShay, Burrow just has the "it" factor about him. Through his confidence, poise, his grounded personality, a true leader, charisma...a true franchise type player, you have to just say, nothing is worth losing this once in a lifetime chance at greatness, especially if you are as snake bitten as the Bengals are.

If you want to fill the stands, you get your franchise QB, and you put weapons around him. Right now, he has fantastic weapons with this offense, he just needs a bit more protection. It is asking a lot of Mike Brown, but could you imagine a 1 or 2 year deal with Whitworth making him our LG, also gives us some flexibility in case of injury. Plus his leadership is unquestioned. Then you sign a guy like Bryan Bulaga for RT. I think that would solidify the offensive line for Burrow.

However, how do you sign all those guys? Of course Dalton and his contract has to go, which helps, but when you are talking Franchising Green for a year, resigning Eifert on an incentive laden deal, signing Whitworth, and Bulaga, that leaves little money on defense. However, I think we are OKAY on defensive line, and I think we will be okay in the secondary. I would love to cut Kirkpatrick and his contract, resign Dennard to match with Williams III, Rose and Phillips. We still need at least one good FA LB signing and maybe our #33 pick being a LB.

Free Agency:
LG Andrew Whitworth (8-9 million per year) 2 years
RT Bryan Bulaga (10-12 million per year) 5 years
WR AJ Green (franchised for what 17.5 million?) 1 year
TE Tyler Eifert (5-8 million in an incentive laden deal) 1 year
CB Darqueze Dennard (7 to 8 million a year) 3 years
MLB Corey Littleton (10-12 million a year) 5 years
Drafting Joe Burrow (about 6.5 million in cap this year)

Total cost of these guys for 2020 - $71.5 million against the cap

Cutting or Trading:
QB Andy Dalton (saves 17.7 million in cap this year)
CB Dre Kirkpatrick (saves almost 8.5 million in cap this year)
OT Bobby Hart (saves almost 3 million in cap this year)
OT Cordy Glenn (saves 9.5 million this year)
+ any general depth filler loss that would come off too.

That is a total savings off this years cap of: $38.7 million

Bengals have 44.7 million in available cap space prior to these cuts above. So between the 2, you have 83.4 million. Minus the 71.5 million, you are left with about 12 million to sign your draft picks and fillers that does not include your #1 overall pick.

Also, if the Bengals are smart, they trade up from #33 to #32 and draft their player of choice, just so they have the 5th year option if he pans out.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crash, it's nice to see you come around on Burrow. I think all the pre-draft noise about the Bengals is nothing more than that - Noise. The only team with the draft capital to make it interesting is the Dolphins. And honestly, if you were a Dolphin fan what would you want? Burrow, or a whole handful of picks and another qb? Obviously qb is the most important position, but the Dolphins are in prime position to select the guy that people thought would be number 1 (Tua). And they have the draft capital and salary cap space to put a great team around him.

As for the cuts..... Dalton will be moved one way or another. There is no reason to have him on the roster and that 17 million will spend well in positions of need. I think Cordy Glenn will definitely be on a different team next year. I don't see them moving Dre - I can't imagine he is worth too much on the open market given his injury last year and believe it or not he is 30!! That's seen as very old for a corner. I also don't see us cutting him. Yes 8.5 million is a fair chunk..... But historically the defense is somehow better with Dre in the lineup and I think they can get something out of him. I also don't see them cutting Hart. 3 million in savings is not much and while he might not be the guy we want to start, he is a serviceable back-up that has been a dependable (if not good) player on the team.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crash, it's nice to see you come around on Burrow. I think all the pre-draft noise about the Bengals is nothing more than that - Noise. The only team with the draft capital to make it interesting is the Dolphins. And honestly, if you were a Dolphin fan what would you want? Burrow, or a whole handful of picks and another qb? Obviously qb is the most important position, but the Dolphins are in prime position to select the guy that people thought would be number 1 (Tua). And they have the draft capital and salary cap space to put a great team around him.

As for the cuts..... Dalton will be moved one way or another. There is no reason to have him on the roster and that 17 million will spend well in positions of need. I think Cordy Glenn will definitely be on a different team next year. I don't see them moving Dre - I can't imagine he is worth too much on the open market given his injury last year and believe it or not he is 30!! That's seen as very old for a corner. I also don't see us cutting him. Yes 8.5 million is a fair chunk..... But historically the defense is somehow better with Dre in the lineup and I think they can get something out of him. I also don't see them cutting Hart. 3 million in savings is not much and while he might not be the guy we want to start, he is a serviceable back-up that has been a dependable (if not good) player on the team.
Hell, the Dolphins can fleece someone else by trading down and still getting Hurts or Herbert. I mean, they could really build a team if they traded down about 10-12 slots, took Herbert - or just use some of the freed up money to sign Rivers - who just moved to Florida, and look for a long-term solution another year.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, there is a good chunk of cap loss this year if we cut Hart, which is why it would only be a 3 million dollar savings this year, but if we keep him, it is like 5 to 7 million in cost against the cap.

Just saying.

Burrow has to be the pick.

How crazy would NO be to trade their next 10 1st round picks for Burrow? Granted, that will not happen, nor would I want it to, because it would be hard for the Bengals to turn that down, and honestly, I would want them to still, because I think Burrow is that guy.

The thing is, if we select Burrow, we have to change our offense to something very similar to what he ran in college. make it a quick and easy transition.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, there is a good chunk of cap loss this year if we cut Hart, which is why it would only be a 3 million dollar savings this year, but if we keep him, it is like 5 to 7 million in cost against the cap.

Just saying.

Burrow has to be the pick.

How crazy would NO be to trade their next 10 1st round picks for Burrow? Granted, that will not happen, nor would I want it to, because it would be hard for the Bengals to turn that down, and honestly, I would want them to still, because I think Burrow is that guy.

The thing is, if we select Burrow, we have to change our offense to something very similar to what he ran in college. make it a quick and easy transition.

I think people pigeonhole him too much....And while Joe Brady deserves credit for a good offense, my understanding is that what he was doing is not a lot different than many modern NFL passing attacks. The reason why it was such a stark contrast in Lousiana was that their offensive approach was very outdated before they switched. From what I've seen of Burrow, he is very comfortable in the pocket, he throws in tight spaces with confidence and he is accurate. I don't think he'll need a special offense to make him good.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people pigeonhole him too much....And while Joe Brady deserves credit for a good offense, my understanding is that what he was doing is not a lot different than many modern NFL passing attacks. The reason why it was such a stark contrast in Lousiana was that their offensive approach was very outdated before they switched. From what I've seen of Burrow, he is very comfortable in the pocket, he throws in tight spaces with confidence and he is accurate. I don't think he'll need a special offense to make him good.

True. However, may as well change the offense to make this team special.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I know LSU operated almost exclusively out of the shotgun last season. You wonder if Taylor builds that into the offense.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know LSU operated almost exclusively out of the shotgun last season. You wonder if Taylor builds that into the offense.

Well, we know Zac likes going shotgun on 4th and less than a yard.... I'm sure he's willing to do it the rest of the time.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, we know Zac likes going shotgun on 4th and less than a yard.... I'm sure he's willing to do it the rest of the time.

That was a 4d chess move. They wouldn't even have a shot at Burrow without those type of brilliant playcalls.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exciting interviews. I love the way this kid talks and handles himself, he is confident but has an air of humbleness around him.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good article.
Personally,
I am concerned that we won't have a good enough offensive line for this signing to matter, maybe he even gets hurt early and we are looking at Ryan Finley as our starter for a significant portion of the season.

There are lots of people who have gotten accustomed to the Bengals not trying very hard in Free agency and screwing things up when they were on the verge of success.

change is hard for people.

Winners don't make excuses, they don't pass blame, they just get things done, losing, and mistakes, are things they learn from, that fuel their fire. How many Super Bowls did Carson Palmer win with his other teams? He has the same number of playoff wins as Tim Tebow. good for him.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Burrow Top 10 traits (in my opinion):

1. Intelligent
2. Tough
3. Natural Leader
4. Confident
5. Possesses Poise Under Pressure
6. Accurate
7. Has Touch on his throws
8. Mobile
9. Fights to the bitter end
10. He is a winner

Top 10 Reasons Mike Brown and Zac Taylor should love Joe Burrow beyond traits:

1. He will sell as many jerseys his rookie season as every other player on the team combined.
2. He has an entire city behind him within driving distance of the stadium.
3. He is a local boy making good. Great national story (publicity).
4. He handles himself in a way that would not embarrass the organization.
5. He is respectful and humble, will be one of the hardest working people in the building (lead by example).
6. Immediate opportunities to get back into the prime time games and the National spot light.
7. A true franchise QB to be the face of the organization.
8. More fans in the stands this year.
9. More marketing opportunities.
10. Ohio's Mr. Football, Heisman, National Championship, beat 7 top 10 teams his final year on his way to 60 TD's and 6 INT's (production against top flight opponents).