• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trading deadline

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome aboard, FX.

Good luck here. We can tend to be a bit canibalistic at times. But we have, for the most part, been posting together for 10-15 years, so we are a pretty tight-knit group.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melancon to the Nationals for Felipe Rivero and Taylor Hearn.

Equates to Hunter Strickland or Josh Osich or Derek Law + a low-level prospect.

I just wonder if Pittsburgh liked Rivero more than Hunter/Josh/Derek. Giants were certainly in talks. Good news is, he's a Free Agent after this year, and the Giants could sign him in the winter without penalty.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like all these deals the Padres are making. After gunning for it all in him first offseason, Preller has this team on the right track.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm driving home today, wondering what went down in the trade arena when the thought hit me, "the Giants probably went goofy and traded for an infielder". I hate it when my instincts are right. I thought that was the team's strong point as of last week? I can only assume everything went downhill in that area.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indians get Lucroy. Damn, they are gunning for it. Catcher was their big weakness. I do wonder how this will affect their pitching, throwing to a new catcher mid-season is almost like getting a new QB mid-season. I can think of one recent season where this type of deal worked out of both parties though....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indians get Lucroy. Damn, they are gunning for it. Catcher was their big weakness. I do wonder how this will affect their pitching, throwing to a new catcher mid-season is almost like getting a new QB mid-season. I can think of one recent season where this type of deal worked out of both parties though....
"Recent"?

Is 7 years considered "recent"?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Recent"?

Is 7 years considered "recent"?

Posey came up way earlier in the year though right? Early enough to win ROY and so on. So the pitchers had a chance to adjust.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posey came up way earlier in the year though right? Early enough to win ROY and so on. So the pitchers had a chance to adjust.

Yeah and they had time to throw to him in ST of 09' and 10'. More thinking of it from Texas' perspective.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah and they had time to throw to him in ST of 09' and 10'. More thinking of it from Texas' perspective.

Of course, good point. Way too Giants centric in my head LOL

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wowowowowow.

So Lucroy declined to waive his clause, nixing the trade to the Indians. You might be thinking, "why in the world would he not want to go from last to first, and catch all those young studs in Celveland"?

Well, apparently, Lucroy was told he wasn't guaranteed the everyday catching job next season because they still have Yan Gomes (the dude with a 30 OPS+ IN 262 PLATE APPEARANCES!!) around and they want him and his -0.8 WAR in the lineup. So, next season Lucroy would have been delegated to backup catching, backup DH and backup 1B, which would absolutely destroy his value going into his free agency in 2018. So, after hearing this information, Lucroy asked for his 2017 option to be revoked, and he could hit free-agency this offseason instead. Well, the Indians refused and so Lucroy vetoed the trade.

That's the story at least. I have a hard time believing the Indians would be that fucking stupid to say that. Lucroy has been a top 5 catcher, Gomes had one good season with the bat. I will give it to Gomes, he is a better defensive catcher, but Lucroy ain't no slouch.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wowowowowow.

So Lucroy declined to waive his clause, nixing the trade to the Indians. You might be thinking, "why in the world would he not want to go from last to first, and catch all those young studs in Celveland"?

Well, apparently, Lucroy was told he wasn't guaranteed the everyday catching job next season because they still have Yan Gomes (the dude with a 30 OPS+ IN 262 PLATE APPEARANCES!!) around and they want him and his -0.8 WAR in the lineup. So, next season Lucroy would have been delegated to backup catching, backup DH and backup 1B, which would absolutely destroy his value going into his free agency in 2018. So, after hearing this information, Lucroy asked for his 2017 option to be revoked, and he could hit free-agency this offseason instead. Well, the Indians refused and so Lucroy vetoed the trade.

That's the story at least. I have a hard time believing the Indians would be that fucking stupid to say that. Lucroy has been a top 5 catcher, Gomes had one good season with the bat. I will give it to Gomes, he is a better defensive catcher, but Lucroy ain't no slouch.

This opens the way for the Giants to trade for him, and move SOMEONE to 3B. I think MaysFan would be for this. :D