• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trading deadline

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, nice trade for the Pads and the Sox. At least they traded him before the series with the Giants.

That said, lol at Beane.
:nono:

We will be facing Boston soon. I would rather face him with the Puds than with the Sux.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this vestigial still-kinda-follows-the-White-Sox fan now thinks they should be sellers this year, they aren't getting a wild card.

I don't know if those idiots are smart enough to do it though.

If they were smart they would do a total scorched Earth Astros-style teardown. Lose 100+ for the next 2 1/2 years and be good in 2019. Trade every single person they can (keep Anderson only) including Sale and Quintana. They could get literally 6-7 top top level prospects for those 2 alone.

Not sure we could compete with the Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers etc who would empty their farms for those guys. Maybe Quintana could be had for Bickford + Beede + Mac + Adrianza, something like that.

Kind of pointless to speculate, they aren't smart enough to think long term like that. But they may deal a reliever or two.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this vestigial still-kinda-follows-the-White-Sox fan now thinks they should be sellers this year, they aren't getting a wild card.

I don't know if those idiots are smart enough to do it though.

If they were smart they would do a total scorched Earth Astros-style teardown. Lose 100+ for the next 2 1/2 years and be good in 2019. Trade every single person they can (keep Anderson only) including Sale and Quintana. They could get literally 6-7 top top level prospects for those 2 alone.

Not sure we could compete with the Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers etc who would empty their farms for those guys. Maybe Quintana could be had for Bickford + Beede + Mac + Adrianza, something like that.

Kind of pointless to speculate, they aren't smart enough to think long term like that. But they may deal a reliever or two.
But is that "smart thinking?"

If they do what you suggest, NOBODY comes to the park for the next two seasons. They cede almost all fan interest in Chicago to the Cubs, which is a battle they've been fighting for years. Essentially, they become the 2016 Jokeland A'ss. Nobody cares.

Aside from the millions they'd hemorrage, I can't see them losing the fan base on the chance that "prospects" pan out.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the idea is asinine (on the Angels' part), but the talk of the Angels trading Mike Trout, simply because of how great he is and how poor the rest of the team is doing, seems to be heating up again (see this article as proof - Mike Trout’s Teammates Don’t Deserve Mike Trout). For hypothetical sake, let's just say he is on the trading block. Do the Giants even have what it would take to get him? Would it be smart to trade for him given the resources needed would probably stripe the farm of needed players for other trades? What kind of package would you think could be put together to land him?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the idea is asinine (on the Angels' part), but the talk of the Angels trading Mike Trout, simply because of how great he is and how poor the rest of the team is doing, seems to be heating up again (see this article as proof - Mike Trout’s Teammates Don’t Deserve Mike Trout). For hypothetical sake, let's just say he is on the trading block. Do the Giants even have what it would take to get him? Would it be smart to trade for him given the resources needed would probably stripe the farm of needed players for other trades? What kind of package would you think could be put together to land him?

Package starts with Posey or Bumgarner. Yeah it's like that.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But is that "smart thinking?"

If they do what you suggest, NOBODY comes to the park for the next two seasons. They cede almost all fan interest in Chicago to the Cubs, which is a battle they've been fighting for years. Essentially, they become the 2016 Jokeland A'ss. Nobody cares.

Aside from the millions they'd hemorrage, I can't see them losing the fan base on the chance that "prospects" pan out.

They are the As already, only way out is to win and they can't this way. Reinsdorf can afford 2-3 years of 15,000 attendance. They draw barely more now.

As I said it's moot they are too short-sighted

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order to acquire a guy like Trout, a team would have to strip their current team which would make the trade worthless. Plus, he makes the GNP of a mid-sized South American country, so the acquiring team would be strapped to build around him.

Pass.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Package starts with Posey or Bumgarner. Yeah it's like that.

In order to acquire a guy like Trout, a team would have to strip their current team which would make the trade worthless. Plus, he makes the GNP of a mid-sized South American country, so the acquiring team would be strapped to build around him.

Pass.

First of all, I don't think Trout gets traded. At least, not this year or the next couple of years. With the way the team is playing, Trout is the big draw. However, for the sake of the hypothetical, they do trade him, I think its going to be for a boatload of young, cheap players. I think it would require Beede, Bickford, Arroyo and Williamson as a starting point. While Bumgarner and Posey are worth their contracts, I doubt the Angels would want to take those contracts on, unless the Giants were willing to both cover all of Trout's contract and a portion of either Bumgarner's, Posey's or both. More likely, they make the trade with a very deep farm system (you know, those highly rated ones) and absolutely raid it, or they trade with a decent farm system and a major league roster filled with younger players (like Joe Panik).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams now at least 5 games back of the 2nd WC:
New York Yankees (5)
Chicago White Sox (6)
Colorado Rockies (7)
Philadelphia Phillies (8)
San Diego Padres (9.5)
Milwaukee Brewers (10)
Anaheim Angels (10.5)
Arizona Diamondbacks (10.5)
Oakland Athletics (10.5)
Cincinnati Reds (15.5)
Tampa Bay Rays (16)
Minnesota Twins (18)
Atlanta Braves (18.5)

Interestingly, that means 17 teams are in contention for 12 playoff spots. Looking at the 5 teams within the 5 to 10 games back range, I figure the Padres and Rockies will be sellers. However, the Yankees and White Sox seemed confused as to the direction to move. The Phillies would probably like to be sellers, but most of their players that they'd like to trade probably aren't tradeable.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, I don't think Trout gets traded. At least, not this year or the next couple of years. With the way the team is playing, Trout is the big draw. However, for the sake of the hypothetical, they do trade him, I think its going to be for a boatload of young, cheap players. I think it would require Beede, Bickford, Arroyo and Williamson as a starting point. While Bumgarner and Posey are worth their contracts, I doubt the Angels would want to take those contracts on, unless the Giants were willing to both cover all of Trout's contract and a portion of either Bumgarner's, Posey's or both. More likely, they make the trade with a very deep farm system (you know, those highly rated ones) and absolutely raid it, or they trade with a decent farm system and a major league roster filled with younger players (like Joe Panik).
I think the discussion STARTS at: Bickford, Arroyo, Beede, Shaw, and Mejia. THEN you'd have to add Panik or Duffy, maybe both. I doubt they're very interested in MacParker.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so since it's the break I took a look at options for our bullpen. Here was my methodology:

1. Only looked at teams more or less out of it -- PHI, COL, MIL, SD, AZ, CIN, ATL, OAK, LAA, TB, MIN.
2. Only looked at RP, not spot starters (we have Suarez).
3. Narrowed it to LHP, since I think we're ok with Casilla/Romo/Strick/Kontos/Law from the right side.

Here's my list, in order of preference:

Krol -- ATL
Abad -- MIN
Buchter -- SD
Doolittle -- OAK
Cervenka -- ATL
Rogers -- MIN
Logan -- COL
Hand -- SD
Cingrani -- CIN

That's 9 guys who should all be available. I'd think there is ample opportunity for the Gs to get one of those guys for one of the big 5 plus a B level guy or two.

The only FA this offseason is Logan. Abad has another year of team control, and all the rest have 3-5 years of control.
bump.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the discussion STARTS at: Bickford, Arroyo, Beede, Shaw, and Mejia. THEN you'd have to add Panik or Duffy, maybe both. I doubt they're very interested in MacParker.
Wouldn't be surprised if they want an major league ready outfielder in the deal. Have you seen who's playing the outfield for them right now?

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we should have a prediction thread about when the Giants will complete a trade?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we should have a prediction thread about when the Giants will complete a trade?
Traditionally, they wait till within the last couple days.

Didn't they tweek the deadlines this year? In the past the deadlines were July 31 and August 31. I THINK they extended the open deadline to Aug 15 (from July 31).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Traditionally, they wait till within the last couple days.

Didn't they tweek the deadlines this year? In the past the deadlines were July 31 and August 31. I THINK they extended the open deadline to Aug 15 (from July 31).

The deadline is August 1st for non-waiver trades.
Important Dates
  • July 24, 2016
    Hall of Fame Induction Day More »
  • August 1, 2016
    Non-waiver Trade Deadline
  • Aug. 4-16, 2016
    RBI World Series More »
  • Sept 7, 2016
    Roberto Clemente Day More »
  • Sept. 22-25, 2016
    World Baseball Classic Qualifiers, Brooklyn, N.Y. More »
  • Oct. 4, 2016
    Postseason begins More »
  • Oct. 25, 2016
    World Series begins More »
  • Dec. 4-7, 2016
    Winter Meetings

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about waiver-trades and roster locks? In the past, this was Sept 1

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about waiver-trades and roster locks? In the past, this was Sept 1
I assume that is still tied to the September call up dates. MLB's website and ESPN's website do not list that information. Here's what I saw on ESPN:
June 9-11 -- First-Year Player Draft
July 10 -- Futures Game, Petco Park, San Diego
July 11 -- Home Run Derby, Petco Park, San Diego
July 12 -- 87th All-Star Game, Petco Park, San Diego
July 15 -- Deadline for amateur draft picks to sign
July 24 -- Hall of Fame inductions, Cooperstown, NY
Aug. 1 -- Non-waiver trade deadline, 4 p.m. ET
Sept. 1 -- Active rosters expand to 40 players
Oct. 2 -- Regular season ends
Dec. 5-8 -- Winter meetings, Washington, DC

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From COTS:
August 1, 2016
Last day to trade a player without securing waivers (4 p.m. ET)

August 1, 2016
New waiver period begins. Trade waivers required.

August 31, 2016
Waiver trade deadline. Outright Waivers secured on or after August 1 expire (midnight ET).

Postseason eligibility lists established (midnight ET). To be eligible, a player must be a bona fide member of a qualifying team August 31 and remain a bona fide member through end of the applicable Postseason series.

September 1, 2016
Active player limit increased from 25 to 40

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I just heard some DISCUSSION about changing the deadlines. I thought they were changed this year..

:noidea: