• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trading deadline

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For example, what if we offered Beede and Parker to the Yankees for Andrew Miller, and they countered by saying yes IF you toss in $4 million? Would you not add $4 million to close the deal?

Note - Miller makes $9 million for each of 2016, 2017, and 2018.
I don't think we'll be in on Miller. I prefer the under the radar guys the team usually goes for and they usually work out. Miller's asking price is too steep, but if the Giants get get him for one of those guys, a couple of C level prospects and money, I'd be good with it.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we'll be in on Miller. I prefer the under the radar guys the team usually goes for and they usually work out. Miller's asking price is too steep, but if the Giants get get him for one of those guys, a couple of C level prospects and money, I'd be good with it.
I would be surprised if the Yanks were sellers in any scenario. Just not sure it's in their DNA.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Twins are open for business, how about a lefty like Abad, or a righty like Pressly?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Twins are open for business, how about a lefty like Abad, or a righty like Pressly?
Abad is a possibility. My concern with him is that he's good one year and mediocre the next. However, 2016 is his good year. Pressley is meh, hardly looks like an improvement from what we currently got, plus he's a righty. Kintzler looks more interesting, purely because he's having a better year than Pressley.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be surprised if the Yanks were sellers in any scenario. Just not sure it's in their DNA.
That is a very good point, one I hadn't thought of. With all of our talk on this forum about Andrew Miller, how remote is that even a possibility? The Yankees, despite being two games under .500, are just 5 games back from the 2nd Wild Card spot. They would have to tank in the next three weeks in order to be non-contenders. Even then, how often do they deal off players? I think the only way he could be traded is if they get a player that can make an immediate impact (bat or starting pitcher) in return.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the standings as of today, the following teams are at least 7 games back from the 2nd wild card spot in their leagues:
Tampa Bay Rays (12.5)
Minnesota Twins (17)
Oakland Athletics (10.5)
Anaheim Angels (11)
Philadelphia Phillies (7)
Atlanta Braves (18.5)
Milwaukee Brewers (9)
Cincinnati Reds (15)
Colorado Rockies (7)
Arizona Diamondbacks (8.5)
San Diego Padres (8.5)

Looking at their rosters, here's the ones I'd most like to see the Giants inquire about:
Alex Colome
Fernando Abad
Brandon Kintzler
Ryan Dull
Cam Bedrosian
Deolis Guerra
Jeanmar Gomez
Hector Neris
Hunter Cervenka
Ian Kroll
Will Smith
Tyler Thornburg
Boone Logan
Tyler Clippard
Ryan Buchter

Most of these guys have a few years of team control left, so only about 6 to 8 of them will probably be available for trading.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knowing Sabean, it's probably going to be a team that has both an OF'er and a bullpen arm that he targets. It'll also probably be names that aren't being discussed much by the talking heads.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abad is EXACTLY the type of low profile guy the Giants will target. He's 30, having a career year, and left handed. In his career, he shits the mound about every fifth time out. I'd think he's a guy we'll be in on.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abad is a possibility. My concern with him is that he's good one year and mediocre the next. However, 2016 is his good year. Pressley is meh, hardly looks like an improvement from what we currently got, plus he's a righty. Kintzler looks more interesting, purely because he's having a better year than Pressley.
Kintzler is also just a better pitcher than Pressley. Or Abad for that matter. He'll be more costly, but worth adding as long as we don't have to give up Bickford, Beede, Mejia, Shaw, ect.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never made the connection between the two threads until now, but the talk about Romo being like acquiring a new reliever caused a light to come on (hey, it happens occasionally. I don't suggest having it happen in a dark room while your wife is sleeping. She won't like being awakened). Anyone else thought about all the reinforcements that will be coming back by the end of July as being just as good, or better, than trading for players? We could get Duffy, Tomlinson, Panik and Cain back this month (okay, Cain isn't necessarily an upgrade). Adrianza and Pence may not be too much further back. Considering how well the team has played with triple A reinforcements, this could bode very well.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never made the connection between the two threads until now, but the talk about Romo being like acquiring a new reliever caused a light to come on (hey, it happens occasionally. I don't suggest having it happen in a dark room while your wife is sleeping. She won't like being awakened). Anyone else thought about all the reinforcements that will be coming back by the end of July as being just as good, or better, than trading for players? We could get Duffy, Tomlinson, Panik and Cain back this month (okay, Cain isn't necessarily an upgrade). Adrianza and Pence may not be too much further back. Considering how well the team has played with triple A reinforcements, this could bode very well.
It will be nice to get all the injured players back, but let's put it this way:

If I had to put numbers to it, I would say we have a 15-20% chance to win WS IV with the players we have on our roster right now. That includes the injured players coming back and performing normally. That is slightly above the random 1/8 chance (I am making the assumption we win our division and not have to go the wildcard route).

If we could acquire a quality late-inning reliever, I would say our chances go to 25-30% (somewhere between a 1/4 and 1/3 chance).

Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Your mileage may vary. Offer not available in all states.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I had to put numbers to it, I would say we have a 15-20% chance to win WS IV with the players we have on our roster right now. That includes the injured players coming back and performing normally. That is slightly above the random 1/8 chance (I am making the assumption we win our division and not have to go the wildcard route).

If we could acquire a quality late-inning reliever, I would say our chances go to 25-30% (somewhere between a 1/4 and 1/3 chance).

Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Your mileage may vary. Offer not available in all states.
Is the offer good in Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are objects closer than they appear?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so since it's the break I took a look at options for our bullpen. Here was my methodology:

1. Only looked at teams more or less out of it -- PHI, COL, MIL, SD, AZ, CIN, ATL, OAK, LAA, TB, MIN.
2. Only looked at RP, not spot starters (we have Suarez).
3. Narrowed it to LHP, since I think we're ok with Casilla/Romo/Strick/Kontos/Law from the right side.

Here's my list, in order of preference:

Krol -- ATL
Abad -- MIN
Buchter -- SD
Doolittle -- OAK
Cervenka -- ATL
Rogers -- MIN
Logan -- COL
Hand -- SD
Cingrani -- CIN

That's 9 guys who should all be available. I'd think there is ample opportunity for the Gs to get one of those guys for one of the big 5 plus a B level guy or two.

The only FA this offseason is Logan. Abad has another year of team control, and all the rest have 3-5 years of control.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so since it's the break I took a look at options for our bullpen. Here was my methodology:

1. Only looked at teams more or less out of it -- PHI, COL, MIL, SD, AZ, CIN, ATL, OAK, LAA, TB, MIN.
2. Only looked at RP, not spot starters (we have Suarez).
3. Narrowed it to LHP, since I think we're ok with Casilla/Romo/Strick/Kontos/Law from the right side.

Here's my list, in order of preference:

Krol -- ATL
Abad -- MIN
Buchter -- SD
Doolittle -- OAK
Cervenka -- ATL
Rogers -- MIN
Logan -- COL
Hand -- SD
Cingrani -- CIN

That's 9 guys who should all be available. I'd think there is ample opportunity for the Gs to get one of those guys for one of the big 5 plus a B level guy or two.

The only FA this offseason is Logan. Abad has another year of team control, and all the rest have 3-5 years of control.
That, in my mind, makes them more expensive, or less likely to be traded. Logan or Abad most likely will be traded to someone. It will be interesting to see what it takes to get one of them.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not Giants-related.

We were talking about the LOL A's Pomeranz trade in another thread awhile back. Traded for a bottom 30 1st baseman and a journeyman reliever.

Well, the Padres just traded him to the Red Sox and got their top pitching prospect (in an insanely deep system) Anderson Espinosa.

Nice swing from the Padres.

Last edited:
Reactions: LHG

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not Giants-related.

We were talking about the LOL A's Pomeranz trade in another thread awhile back. Traded for a bottom 30 1st baseman and a journeyman reliever.

Well, the Padres just traded him to the Red Sox and got their top pitching prospect (in an insanely deep system) Anderson Espinosa.

Nice swing from the Padres.
Yup, nice trade for the Pads and the Sox. At least they traded him before the series with the Giants.

That said, lol at Beane.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, nice trade for the Pads and the Sox. At least they traded him before the series with the Giants.

That said, lol at Beane.

Yeah Pomeranz really kept us down. We would have faced him Sunday. I wonder how he'll do in the AL East. I'm guessing not as well.

Beane's trade history has been.... terrible lately, to say the least.