• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Toughest Conference heading into 2020 season..

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it looks to be open with new QBs, Bama is favored for a reason however thinking a McCarron or McElroy or Sims is going to cut it with the conference now having true spread teams isn't happening either. I think LSU will revert a little more to 2018 than 2019.. but that's my opinion. GA has a loaded team, once again..and they too now have a spread offense.
How many more “true spread teams” does the SEC have than in 2015? I’m counting and see no appreciable difference. Where there was a big difference was the defense was down in 18 and especially 19. With a 2015 type of defense, Alabama easily could win the NC with Mac Jones. It’s a balanced offense that still put up good numbers in his 4 starts.
As for McCarron, I’d take the 2012 offense we had with McCarron over the vast majority of offenses I’ve seen since.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
article was talking about the 2020 season. They like most have tosu winning the conference by a big margin, again. So outside of the West division, they like most people don't think tosu will have a real test outside the game vs psu.

They feel GA easily should clinch the East and Bama in the West. Could FL or LSU or AU give them a run?

Clemson is head and shoulders better than anyone else in the ACC.

PAC looks to be open as well

Big 12 seems to be open too

That's all it's saying.. toughest conferences to predict.
I must've misunderstood. Since it used FPI, I was under a different impression.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on anything you can actually describe? Or just more anti-B1G rhetoric?

Well for one they had more .500+ teams(with less teams). For another they were rated as the better division every year by Sagarin. Does Sagarin have an anti B1G agenda?

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many more “true spread teams” does the SEC have than in 2015? I’m counting and see no appreciable difference. Where there was a big difference was the defense was down in 18 and especially 19. With a 2015 type of defense, Alabama easily could win the NC with Mac Jones. It’s a balanced offense that still put up good numbers in his 4 starts.
As for McCarron, I’d take the 2012 offense we had with McCarron over the vast majority of offenses I’ve seen since.
How many? Just look at the sec west, every team is a spread team now outside aggy.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many? Just look at the sec west, every team is a spread team now outside aggy.

In 15, all were spreads except Arky and Bama, and the new OM coach (Our 2015 OC) always has run pro-style offenses. The new Arky coach (Pittman) came from a pro-style offense. If anything, the west trend is heading the opposite direction.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 15, all were spreads except Arky and Bama, and the new OM coach (Our 2015 OC) always has run pro-style offenses. The new Arky coach (Pittman) came from a pro-style offense. If anything, the west trend is heading the opposite direction.
you do now baby briles is now the OC at arkansas right? and 2015 LSU was still running the Les spread. It was much different.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saying pac north top team beat big10 w top team. Middle beat middle. Bottom beat bottom.
I was just ragging. I too think the PAC 12 North has been better than the B1G West. IMHO records don't tell the whole story since teams have to play their division/conference mates. That can cut both ways.

And trying to use bowl games (except CFP games) to compare teams/conferences is an exercise in futility IMHO.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well for one they had more .500+ teams(with less teams). For another they were rated as the better division every year by Sagarin. Does Sagarin have an anti B1G agenda?
Well, when your crossover games in the Pac12 are against arguably the worst division in football, you're likely to have more .500+ teams than if your crossover games were against the B1G East, one of the best divisions in football. Pretty easy to figure that out.

Also, Sagarin's ratings are based largely on the middle teams. As you mentioned, there are more .500+ teams in the Pac12 North so that's going to be a bit different. The Pac-12 has a couple of good teams, then a bunch of wildly mediocre teams who would be lower-tier in the B1G or SEC, so that doesn't make them better. It just means they have better records against more mediocre teams. As I showed though, the quality of the B1G West is clearly better where it matters.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just ragging. I too think the PAC 12 North has been better than the B1G West. IMHO records don't tell the whole story since teams have to play their division/conference mates. That can cut both ways.

And trying to use bowl games (except CFP games) to compare teams/conferences is an exercise in futility IMHO.

Dude come on you're such an anti-B1Gger.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Define “toughest”. If you mean best teams at the top, it’s the B1G and SEC and no one else very close. If you mean most balanced, the B12 can make a case sone of the time, though not last year. Baylor beat everyone except OU, and Baylor was not a very good team. The conference bottom was not up to its usual standards, either.
Reminds me of one of our districts here in West Texas a few years back. It was a six team district with three teams finishing 3-2, and three finishing 2-3. Largest margin of victory in any game was 10 points. One of the coaches said in an interview, "I don't know if our district is any good or not, but it is damn sure even."

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it looks to be open with new QBs, Bama is favored for a reason however thinking a McCarron or McElroy or Sims is going to cut it with the conference now having true spread teams isn't happening either. I think LSU will revert a little more to 2018 than 2019.. but that's my opinion. GA has a loaded team, once again..and they too now have a spread offense.
You think Kirby is willing to put his defense more at risk?

If he does, look out!

Still can't see him willing to put his defense on the field a lot of time. So if they do spread it out, I think it will be not have any of the HUNH in it. JMO.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you do now baby briles is now the OC at arkansas right? and 2015 LSU was still running the Les spread. It was much different.
I'm wondering how the Pittman/Briles marriage is going to work out.

Maybe baby Briles won't take the "I don't care about TOP or how long my defense is on the field" approach that daddy did.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Kirby is willing to put his defense more at risk?

If he does, look out!

Still can't see him willing to put his defense on the field a lot of time. So if they do spread it out, I think it will be not have any of the HUNH in it. JMO.
after how LSU undressed them .. I'm thinking he saw the light like Sweaty P did at TCU

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude come on you're such an anti-B1Gger.
Yeah, I've been accused of such...but I HAVE NOT been accused of being a PAC 12 homer so there's that.:lol:

I don't think the B1G West is "bad" by any means. Nor is the PAC 12 North world beaters. And I do think the B1G East has been pretty good lately. (But that has even dropped off since my favorite Sparty has been down.)

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after how LSU undressed them .. I'm thinking he saw the light like Sweaty P did at TCU
Good comparison IMO. Ole Coach Hitch 'em Up didn't want to do it either.