• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 10 projected 2018 defenses per 247

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a research university is a big deal. It means govt. funds coming in. Of course I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

Pac-12 Conference - Wikipedia

Eight of the twelve member schools are members of the Association of American Universities (AAU), including all four California-based schools.[55] The only FBS conference with more AAU members is the Big Ten with 13 out of 14 member institutions having AAU membership.

Additionally, these member schools are also highly ranked nationally and globally by various groups, including the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) and Times Higher Education World University Rankings (Times). As of 2014, four Pac-12 institutions are ranked in the top 20 universities in the world, the most out of all conferences outside the Ivy League with Stanford ranked 2nd, UC Berkeley ranked 4th (the highest ranking of any public university), UCLA ranked 12th, and the University of Washington ranked at 15th. In 2014, of the twelve member schools, nine were ranked in the top 100 universities in the world.[56]

But we aren’t talking about the P12 dumbass, we are talking about WVU not getting into the ACC. Ohh and one other thing, WVU IS A RESEARCH UNIVERISTY you tard. So must we continue to pretend that you know what you are talking about or do you just want to quit?

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But we aren’t talking about the P12 dumbass, we are talking about WVU not getting into the ACC. Ohh and one other thing, WVU IS A RESEARCH UNIVERISTY you tard. So must we continue to pretend that you know what you are talking about or do you just want to quit?
Not sure what WVU is researching other than maybe bottle rockets seeing how they're ranked something like #156th.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what WVU is researching other than maybe bottle rockets seeing how they're ranked something like #156th.

I imagine engineering. Still a research univeristy. An Tobacco Road didn’t like the acceptance standards.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty excited about our defense.....but am still worried about our offense. It doesn't matter if we hold teams to under 20 points a game if we can only score 10 ourselves.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty excited about our defense.....but am still worried about our offense. It doesn't matter if we hold teams to under 20 points a game if we can only score 10 ourselves.
I’m right there with you.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notice how many come from the offensively incompetent conferences. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not defending Oklahoma’s defense the last two seasons. We got a cancer that hopefully gets cut out this year. That said, often times those top defenses get lit up out of conference routinely.
Not really.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really.

Yeah really. Look at what Oklahoma did to Georgia. Look what they did to Ohio state. Look what happened to Penn State last year when they played USC in the Rose Bowl. Look what Oklahoma did to Auburn, and that’s with Oklahoma taking their foot off the gas. What about the National championship from two years ago for both teams? These were all considered top tier defenses and they got the scoreboard lit up on them. There’s plenty of others to point to as well.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah really. Look at what Oklahoma did to Georgia. Look what they did to Ohio state. Look what happened to Penn State last year when they played USC in the Rose Bowl. Look what Oklahoma did to Auburn, and that’s with Oklahoma taking their foot off the gas. What about the National championship from two years ago for both teams? These were all considered top tier defenses and they got the scoreboard lit up on them. There’s plenty of others to point to as well.
I'm assuming you were calling the B1G one of the "offensively inept" conferences. Did you see what Penn State did in that same Rose Bowl game? How about OSU at Oklahoma 2 years ago, when we put up 45 and only gave up 17? How about Sparty this year tossing up 42 on Washington State? How about Penn State and Wisconsin putting up 34 and 35 against top 10 teams? And are you honestly bragging about putting up points on an 8-5 Auburn team that barely finished in the top 25?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming you were calling the B1G one of the "offensively inept" conferences. Did you see what Penn State did in that same Rose Bowl game? How about OSU at Oklahoma 2 years ago, when we put up 45 and only gave up 17? How about Sparty this year tossing up 42 on Washington State? How about Penn State and Wisconsin putting up 34 and 35 against top 10 teams? And are you honestly bragging about putting up points on an 8-5 Auburn team that barely finished in the top 25?

Again, I never claimed every team in the B1G or SEC were offensively inept. Just that a large faction of both were and it skews defensive numbers. If you actually read the thread rather then jumping on to angrily post a response you would’ve known that.

Second, I never claimed Auburn was a good team that year. They did have a defense ranked in the top 10 I believe though. At least top 25, and Oklahoma lit them up and still pulled back.

The point still stands that often times these top defenses don’t look dominant when facing offensively competent teams outside their conference. I said nothing about Bama, Ohio State, Georgia, or Penn State’s competence offensively.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I never claimed every team in the B1G or SEC were offensively inept. Just that a large faction of both were and it skews defensive numbers. If you actually read the thread rather then jumping on to angrily post a response you would’ve known that.

Second, I never claimed Auburn was a good team that year. They did have a defense ranked in the top 10 I believe though. At least top 25, and Oklahoma lit them up and still pulled back.

The point still stands that often times these top defenses don’t look dominant when facing offensively competent teams outside their conference. I said nothing about Bama, Ohio State, Georgia, or Penn State’s competence offensively.
Who got angry? Simply disagreeing doesn't mean anger, bud.

It works both ways. There have been plenty of times that offenses from the Big 12 have looked a lot worse out of conference than in conference. I'd just as easily argue that a large faction of the Big 12 is defensively inept (LARGE faction), so it makes your offenses look better.

The original ranking of defenses is still pretty solid.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who got angry? Simply disagreeing doesn't mean anger, bud.

It works both ways. There have been plenty of times that offenses from the Big 12 have looked a lot worse out of conference than in conference. I'd just as easily argue that a large faction of the Big 12 is defensively inept (LARGE faction), so it makes your offenses look better.

The original ranking of defenses is still pretty solid.

I won’t argue one bit about the state of defense in the big 12 as a whole. Oklahoma seems to be trying to fix their problems. Hopefully within a couple of years they can make that jump inside the top 35 or so. When that happens they’ll be ready to win a natty, but not before.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won’t argue one bit about the state of defense in the big 12 as a whole. Oklahoma seems to be trying to fix their problems. Hopefully within a couple of years they can make that jump inside the top 35 or so. When that happens they’ll be ready to win a natty, but not before.
What is OU doing differently on the defensive side? I honestly know nothing about your schemes.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is OU doing differently on the defensive side? I honestly know nothing about your schemes.

Biggest thing is Riley is focusing on recruiting. The last two seasons have seen a major uptick in defensive talent. Bob got lazy and he let his staff get lazy and we haven’t been bringing in the athletes we should be for a long time.

Scheme wise... I’ve heard a few things. Hearing Riley told Moops to cut the bullshit and that he would listen to and apply input from other coaches, and would simplify his schemes. Heard he was also told he would quit coming behind other coaches who just taught a technique and changing it and confusing the shit out of the players. Hopefully we see more one gap stuff from the DL which I think would help massively.

But most importantly, this is Moops final year in his contract. Unless he puts out a top 25 defense (which ain’t happening) he’s gone after this year. That’s the final piece for Oklahoma.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest thing is Riley is focusing on recruiting. The last two seasons have seen a major uptick in defensive talent. Bob got lazy and he let his staff get lazy and we haven’t been bringing in the athletes we should be for a long time.

Scheme wise... I’ve heard a few things. Hearing Riley told Moops to cut the bullshit and that he would listen to and apply input from other coaches, and would simplify his schemes. Heard he was also told he would quit coming behind other coaches who just taught a technique and changing it and confusing the shit out of the players. Hopefully we see more one gap stuff from the DL which I think would help massively.

But most importantly, this is Moops final year in his contract. Unless he puts out a top 25 defense (which ain’t happening) he’s gone after this year. That’s the final piece for Oklahoma.
I'd be surprised if Riley doesn't go after a major name for his defense a la what Meyer did with Schiano. I'm sure he can get one. Maybe like a Manny Diaz

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be surprised if Riley doesn't go after a major name for his defense a la what Meyer did with Schiano. I'm sure he can get one. Maybe like a Manny Diaz

Yeah, cuz Diaz did so well his first go round in the big 12.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 12 & AAC would have to rate as the two most offensive-minded conferences, with the vitamin league having the top two teams in total offense in Oklahoma & Oklahoma St., along with #16 Texas Tech & #20 West Virginia; and the American boasting the #' 4-6 teams in Memphis, Central Florida & South Florida, along with SMU at #15. The ACC also has four teams in the top 25, led by Louisville at #3, and followed by Wake Forest, Syracuse & NC State at #'s 17, 23 & 25.

The AAC has the edge in scoring, with UCF & Memphis locking down the top two spots, and USF & SMU coming in at 10th & 12th. The Big 12 has the 3rd & 4th teams in Oklahoma & Oklahoma St., with West Virginia & Texas Tech coming in at 22nd & 23rd.

The B-12 is also the only league with 5 teams in the passing top 25, with Okie Lite & the Sooners ranking #1 & #3; but no Big 12 team cracked the top 25 in rushing, which seems to be the league's achilles heel on offense.