• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Too soon discussion on the 2018 draft

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's wayyyyyy too early to make any sort of final judgement on the draft. And it will be years before something is proven right or wrong. But has anyone's views changed or they are wavering on their pre-draft thoughts?

For example there was a strong belief with some that the Browns should take Barkley #1 and they can still get Rosen, Darnold, or Allen instead of Mayfield. Even with Barkley's play, I'm wondering if people still like that idea today?

Or one I had, which was I wasn't fond of the Barkley pick. (RB early, expensive and short careers). Of course if Mayfield ends up being the only true franchise QB of the class, then it's Barkley vs. Nelson, Chubb, or Ward, which isn't as big of a difference.

So with the caveat that yes, we know plenty of players have turned around awful seasons and great rookie seasons have followed with poor play, which draft thoughts are you wavering on now?

And what's your favorite move?

I am liking that Colts trade down a lot right now. Line is looking a million times better for Luck with Nelson and Smith in there (the return from the Jets). Also added a pass rusher who showed a bit of promise vs. the Cowboys, and a solid big RB that's been good in the rotation. And of course you could wonder, if they didn't have back to back picks in the 2nd round, do they address the O-line and never pick up Leonard who leads the league in tackles? Oh, and they still have an early 2nd rounder next year.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously as a Browns fan, I can say with utmost certainty that we made the right choice at #1. He's been head, shoulders, and anything else ahead of the other rookie QBs. While Brad Chubb is a beast, I'm more than happy with the Denzel Ward pick. He's a Pro Bowler, and if not for missing time with injury, he's a strong candidate for DROY. The concussion issue will have to be monitored, but when healthy he's got the look of a true lockdown CB. Nick Chubb in the 2nd was a great pick, as well, as he's PFF's #1 rated rookie RB right now. Like Mayfield, this team's record would likely be a lot different had he started from week 1, or if we would've fired dipshit Hue Jackson before the season started.

The Colts also did an amazing job. Nelson is a monster, but Darius Leonard looks every bit the top defender in the class so far. Still not wild about their job addressing RB, but Marlon Mack might actually be the answer afterall.

There have been some great steals in the draft. The Bengals struck gold with Sam Hubbard in the 3rd, Taron Johnson for Buffalo in the 4th is going to be a starter in their secondary for many years, Chris Herndon at TE in the 4th for NYJ looks like a fantastic pick as he is the Jets' 2nd leading receiver, and Genard Avery in the 5th for Cleveland was a great pick as he's a starter and solid contributor.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s actually a little late to discuss the 2018 draft.

But I agree with most of what you said.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not too late to discuss the 2019 draft if you're a Philly fan. It will give you something to do after Sunday.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not too late to discuss the 2019 draft if you're a Philly fan. It will give you something to do after Sunday.

Good one. We’ll see if things turn out that way.

But why are you concerned about the Eagles? Are you afraid that they might get in and hurt the Patriots’ already slim chances of winning it all?

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously as a Browns fan, I can say with utmost certainty that we made the right choice at #1. He's been head, shoulders, and anything else ahead of the other rookie QBs. While Brad Chubb is a beast, I'm more than happy with the Denzel Ward pick. He's a Pro Bowler, and if not for missing time with injury, he's a strong candidate for DROY. The concussion issue will have to be monitored, but when healthy he's got the look of a true lockdown CB. Nick Chubb in the 2nd was a great pick, as well, as he's PFF's #1 rated rookie RB right now. Like Mayfield, this team's record would likely be a lot different had he started from week 1, or if we would've fired dipshit Hue Jackson before the season started.

The Colts also did an amazing job. Nelson is a monster, but Darius Leonard looks every bit the top defender in the class so far. Still not wild about their job addressing RB, but Marlon Mack might actually be the answer afterall.

There have been some great steals in the draft. The Bengals struck gold with Sam Hubbard in the 3rd, Taron Johnson for Buffalo in the 4th is going to be a starter in their secondary for many years, Chris Herndon at TE in the 4th for NYJ looks like a fantastic pick as he is the Jets' 2nd leading receiver, and Genard Avery in the 5th for Cleveland was a great pick as he's a starter and solid contributor.

I was pretty strongly for the "if you think he's the top QB you do all you can within reason to get him" side and they did that.

Was the most excited I've been for a browns draft since the 2012 one which didn't turn out too well. Glad this one is for them.

Of course now they've put themselves in a position of what to do with the next HC and Williams. Tough call as the turnaround has been on his watch, but really before the last 6 games he wasn't a contender for a HC spot. Crazy to think... 3 OT outcomes from playing for a bye week this week.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But why are you concerned about the Eagles? Are you afraid that they might get in and hurt the Patriots’ already slim chances of winning it all?
Nope just responded to your OP.
You can't play that made up underdog card this year.
Enjoy the draft even if Philly sneaks in. I can't wait for the QB controversy if they do:dhd:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was pretty strongly for the "if you think he's the top QB you do all you can within reason to get him" side and they did that.

Was the most excited I've been for a browns draft since the 2012 one which didn't turn out too well. Glad this one is for them.

Of course now they've put themselves in a position of what to do with the next HC and Williams. Tough call as the turnaround has been on his watch, but really before the last 6 games he wasn't a contender for a HC spot. Crazy to think... 3 OT outcomes from playing for a bye week this week.
That 2012 draft was a joke. I was admittedly happy about the TRich pick, but the Weeden pick was absolutely horrible. I was in a packed sports bar in the Cleveland suburbs watching it and I've never heard so many f-bombs simultaneously dropped. Schwartz ended up being a solid pick, and Benjamin was decent, but those were the only 2 good picks. I was not optimistic after that pick, strictly because of Weeden. Going into the draft, I was extremely high on Nick Foles, but also thought Russell Wilson would've been a decent pick in the middle rounds (lol "decent"). They took the QB who was not only by far the oldest, but also the worst against the blitz. It was awful.

It would've been incredible to make the playoffs this year, but being an actual contender up until the final two weeks was amazing. I think they have to not overthink things and offer the HC job to Williams. If they keep the coaching staff in place and Dorsey continues to draft elite talent, they're a 10-win team in 2019, if not more.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
307b011a-2a79-4f93-84d8-09dd428ac1f3-USATSI_11757398.jpg

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enjoy the draft even if Philly sneaks in. I can't wait for the QB controversy if they do:dhd:

If the Eagles win a second Super Bowl this year, I’ll gladly accept whatever QB controversy follows.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's scrrrrd of course. Panicky really.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colts would be undefeated with Barkley.

That statement really fits this board well.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Eagles win a second Super Bowl this year, I’ll gladly accept whatever QB controversy follows.
SB? Let's take this one step at a time shall we?
1.Make the playoffs with Nicky as your QB for the 2nd straight yr.
2. Nicky wins a game. Speculation starts.
3. Nicky wins a 2nd game. Controversy brews.
4. Nick wins or loses. GM says WTF do I do now? While the hords of Wentz fan boyz say oh shit maybe we were wrong...
5. Who gets paid to stay and who goes because that SB is a pipe dream

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That 2012 draft was a joke. I was admittedly happy about the TRich pick, but the Weeden pick was absolutely horrible. I was in a packed sports bar in the Cleveland suburbs watching it and I've never heard so many f-bombs simultaneously dropped. Schwartz ended up being a solid pick, and Benjamin was decent, but those were the only 2 good picks. I was not optimistic after that pick, strictly because of Weeden. Going into the draft, I was extremely high on Nick Foles, but also thought Russell Wilson would've been a decent pick in the middle rounds (lol "decent"). They took the QB who was not only by far the oldest, but also the worst against the blitz. It was awful.

It would've been incredible to make the playoffs this year, but being an actual contender up until the final two weeks was amazing. I think they have to not overthink things and offer the HC job to Williams. If they keep the coaching staff in place and Dorsey continues to draft elite talent, they're a 10-win team in 2019, if not more.

I actually thought the browns should have gone after cousins before the draft then selected barkley and chubb. what an idiot i was

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4. Nick wins or loses. GM says WTF do I do now? While the hords of Wentz fan boyz say oh shit maybe we were wrong...

Kinda not on topic, but what you are describing sounds a lot like the Bledsoe/Brady controversy, especially after Bledsoe got them the win in the AFC championship game. Rich people problems. If Foles is a two time SB champ, that's not a worry for me with both being under contract for 2019.

Well please feel free to take that to one of the many threads on that topic instead about what the World Champion Eagles are up to after their backup beat Tom Brady in the biggest game of the year. This one's more about the draft.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Weeden was the worry, just an odd guy, who was older, but there were guys that loved him.

I remember originally I was hoping they'd end up with Richardson, Tannehill, Fleener, and Upshaw with those picks and thought that would be a really cool haul.

But I kinda liked Weeden a bit... Had the size, the throwing motion was good, footwork like all QB's had some issues but looked fine enough. Accuracy was praised, touch was talked about as a strength, enough arm strength to make NFL throws and threw solid on the run. Stepped up in the pocket on the backside rush like you want. The real issue in game was his decision making at times (and scheme, injury history and age of course).

Anyways, I'll gladly take my lumps on him... and that entire draft lol.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why take it one step at a time? This is my fantasy, not yours.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The OP was on the draft, not Brady on the biggest stage losing to a backup QB. :dhd: But if you want to reminisce about that, there are plenty of threads on it.