• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficially Official 2016 Spring training thread

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm never going to understand the lack of market for Cruz when he was a FA.

But he's certainly getting the last laugh both on the field and at the bank.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Draft pick compensation, according to pretty much everything I've read about it the last couple of years. Teams don't want to give up their picks.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but in Fowler's case the O's were giving him 35m and he walked away from that because they wouldn't give him an out after 1 year. If that was such a sticking point to him, I don't get why he didn't take the QO.
Because the QO was in a different world for him. That was in the "I can get what I want" world. Now he is in the "I had better get what I can" world. That is what I was trying to convey before. What happened at QO time is simply not relevant now. When they are in that first world they simply don't believe there will be a second world.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He looked like the foolish one for not accepting the QO, but he did a very good job in turning that around when he performed on the field to make a lot of teams look foolish for not pursuing him more towards the end of his free agency period that first time he was a free agent.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the QO was in a different world for him. That was in the "I can get what I want" world. Now he is in the "I had better get what I can" world. That is what I was trying to convey before. What happened at QO time is simply not relevant now. When they are in that first world they simply don't believe there will be a second world.

you understand that the Orioles were giving him 35 million and he walked away from that for 13 million from the Cubs, right? He should be in the mindset of "I had better get what I can." That doesn't appear to be the case with him though.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you understand that the Orioles were giving him 35 million and he walked away from that for 13 million from the Cubs, right? He should be in the mindset of "I had better get what I can." That doesn't appear to be the case with him though.
Once again he is telling himself that I can do better than that. He thinks he can play this year and get a better deal after this year than what the Orioles were offering. He thinks 3 years from now he will be able and see that he made more money over those 3 years than what the Orioles were said to be offering.

Actually, the Orioles are denying that they ever made that offer. That might have been floated out there to give Gallardo an impetus to sign before they spent their money on Fowler.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again he is telling himself that I can do better than that. He thinks he can play this year and get a better deal after this year than what the Orioles were offering. He thinks 3 years from now he will be able and see that he made more money over those 3 years than what the Orioles were said to be offering.

I would offer that the facts are probably not in his favor and if that's his thinking, he's an idiot.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would offer that the facts are probably not in his favor and if that's his thinking, he's an idiot.

So what are the Cubs going to do in the OF? I'm guessing Soler goes to AAA, rides the pine or maybe gets traded

Soler, Fowler, Heyward and Schwarber

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what are the Cubs going to do in the OF? I'm guessing Soler goes to AAA, rides the pine or maybe gets traded

Soler, Fowler, Heyward and Schwarber

I read that they could send Schwarber down to cut back on his service time, but I don't know if that's an actual solution or not.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that they could send Schwarber down to cut back on his service time, but I don't know if that's an actual solution or not.

This is from Tom Verducci's article yesterday.

• Fowler will play the majority of time in centerfield, though the Cubs also will play Heyward there on occasion, flanked by Schwarber and Jorge Soler when Fowler gets a day off (probably against righthanded pitching; the switch-hitter has an .829 OPS against lefties in his career, compared to .761 against righties).

• Soler will see time in leftfield and rightfield, depending on that day’s outfield alignment.

• Schwarber will get more starts behind the plate than he would have under the original outfield alignment. Schwarber’s lefthanded power bat has to be in the lineup against every righthanded starter. Last year the Cubs saw 128 righthanded starters. As a rough guess, Schwarber will start the 10 interleague games as the DH, about 40 games as a catcher and about 80 games as a leftfielder.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is from Tom Verducci's article yesterday.

• Fowler will play the majority of time in centerfield, though the Cubs also will play Heyward there on occasion, flanked by Schwarber and Jorge Soler when Fowler gets a day off (probably against righthanded pitching; the switch-hitter has an .829 OPS against lefties in his career, compared to .761 against righties).

• Soler will see time in leftfield and rightfield, depending on that day’s outfield alignment.

• Schwarber will get more starts behind the plate than he would have under the original outfield alignment. Schwarber’s lefthanded power bat has to be in the lineup against every righthanded starter. Last year the Cubs saw 128 righthanded starters. As a rough guess, Schwarber will start the 10 interleague games as the DH, about 40 games as a catcher and about 80 games as a leftfielder.

Well that sounds like a huge ass hassle.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers have signed Drew Stubbs to a minor league contract.

Last edited: