• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficially Official 2016 Spring training thread

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised no one has mentioned the Cole Hamels/Victoria's Secret lawsuit. All over the damn web today.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Rangers’ Yu Darvish knows he’s throwing hard already

The increased velocity perked Darvish’s interest, too, which Brocail noticed had him pulling up at the end of his delivery to take a peek at his pitches.

“On a few of them he anticipated because he knew he was throwing harder and he wanted to see what the pitch was doing,” Brocail said. “I told him to quit cheating because I did the same thing when I came back from Tommy John. He wants to see what’s happening because he knows by hearing and he knows by feel that he was throwing hard.”

Bottom line, Brocail said, his biggest concern — Darvish’s delivery showing rust — has not been an issue early in the right-hander’s comeback.

“His delivery allows him so much more than other guy’s deliveries do because it’s the exact same every pitch,” he said. “As a coach, that’s my biggest concern, is he going to be out of whack? No, Yu Darvish is not out of whack so it’s obviously going to come quicker … with a timetable.”

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is funny.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly not the deal Gallardo thought he'd get, I imagine.

It somewhat depends on if he pitches well enough to get that 3rd year option doesn't it? $33 mil for 3 years, even in today's baseball world, ain't chump-change.

That's about what I thought he was looking for. Am I off base?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It somewhat depends on if he pitches well enough to get that 3rd year option doesn't it? $33 mil for 3 years, even in today's baseball world, ain't chump-change.

That's about what I thought he was looking for. Am I off base?

I figured he'd get 3 years guaranteed at about $40-45 mil.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Then he's definitely disappointed.

Oh, Dexter Fowler signed a one year deal with the Cubs.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, this was in line with my thinking as well. Even if it was a guaranteed 3/33, that's about 6-8 million short of what I figured he'd get overall.

It's not chump change, for sure, but Gallardo was supposed to be one of the better options out there this off-season, and he didn't sign until after P's and C's had started reporting. That, more than the money, is pretty shocking to me.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, Dexter Fowler signed a one year deal with the Cubs.

Wait... what? It had already been reported he signed with the Orioles.... ?

<reads>

And what's weirder... he turned downed Chicago's 15.8m QO. I'm reading the sticking point with Baltimore was that they wouldn't include an opt-out after 1 year of a 3/35 contract. So he re-ups with the Cubs for 13m.

Dexter Fowler is not good at math.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait... what? It had already been reported he signed with the Orioles.... ?
<reads>

And what's weirder... he turned downed Chicago's 15.8m QO. I'm reading the sticking point with Baltimore was that they wouldn't include an opt-out after 1 year of a 3/35 contract. So he re-ups with the Cubs for 13m.

Dexter Fowler is not good at math.
This is just another incidence that proves that when the QO is made and when this late in the offseason rolls around are 2 completely different universes with baseball players. None of them ever expect to get to this point so now it really isn't relevant to them any longer what they were offered with the QO. Often there are two completely different signing periods for player's like Fowler. The same was true when Cruz left us. Once he finally signed what we offered as the QO was ancient history.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just another incidence that proves that when the QO is made and when this late in the offseason rolls around are 2 completely different universes with baseball players. None of them ever expect to get to this point so now it really isn't relevant to them any longer what they were offered with the QO. Often there are two completely different signing periods for player's like Fowler. The same was true when Cruz left us. Once he finally signed what we offered as the QO was ancient history.

True, but in Fowler's case the O's were giving him 35m and he walked away from that because they wouldn't give him an out after 1 year. If that was such a sticking point to him, I don't get why he didn't take the QO.