• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficially Official 2016 Spring training thread

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to find someone else for Crawler to hate, since it worked out pretty well for Moreland last year

Someone hell.....let him expand his horizons to at least 2. Why not 3 really?

We're in for the WS now.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, run your memory bank backwards to way-back-then, and I was the guy who asked, "is it just me, or do good things seem to happen with this Gentry kid in the lineup?" Swear, he seemed to make a good catch, steal a base, make a good throw, take an extra base, etc, when he played and the team seemed to feed off it.

One of those guys which the numbers - old school or new school metrics - didn't reflect his contributions IMO.

Intangibles, Gentry was one of those guys that passed people's gut instinct and also filled up the boxscore in non-traditional ways and was even liked by WAR with his ++ baserunning and defense

Nothing more exciting as a Rangers fan, in recent years, than Gentry on the basepaths though (to me that is)

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I was huge "Kitten Face" fan and was sad to see him go, and something about Choice always bothered me

I rooted for him bc he was the cost of Gentry and even defended the trade vs the hard core irrational haters (bc once again, it made sense) but yeah always disliked it deep inside
Definitely understand your logic on that last paragraph. Gentry had a lot of fans so when he was traded most Ranger fans were shocked and upset and rightly so. Other than hit for power he did a lot of things right.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to see Dutch go 3 innings. Not sure what happened with Maz that led to the unearned runs.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So whats everyone's thoughts on the Rangers this season? Not a whole lot of moves over the off season but just getting a lot of people back from from injury should help a ton. I like picking up the bartender, is projected to be the closer?

You would think the Rangers would have to be favorites to win the West going in but it looks like many have the Astros there. I'm hoping we can find a way to keep Prince fresh for late in the season. We need him batting better than .190 and knocking in more than one run in the playoffs. Seems like he really fell off at the end of the season as well. Maybe he was hurt, dunno?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So whats everyone's thoughts on the Rangers this season? Not a whole lot of moves over the off season but just getting a lot of people back from from injury should help a ton. I like picking up the bartender, is projected to be the closer?

You would think the Rangers would have to be favorites to win the West going in but it looks like many have the Astros there. I'm hoping we can find a way to keep Prince fresh for late in the season. We need him batting better than .190 and knocking in more than one run in the playoffs. Seems like he really fell off at the end of the season as well. Maybe he was hurt, dunno?

I like our chances to repeat. The Astros are the sexy pick with Keuchel coming off a Cy Young and an exciting young player like Correa. I'm still not convinced they have the depth to really be a WS contender. I mean, they did ride career years from shitty players like Colby Rasmus. Our Rangers on the other hand won the division while battling injuries to some key players like Darvish, Harrison, and Holland.

I think Prince just ran out of gas. I expect an even bigger year fromh next year. Our depth this year is something we haven't had before and I just feel like we too deep. With a little fortune and maybe one or two moves, we might be legit World Series contenders.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am reserving my win prediction for the end of ST, but I am very bullish on them presently. My prediction will probably be in the 90s.

Prince is usually a very poor postseason hitter and he more than likely always will be. His slash line is .189/.276/.311 in the postseason.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am reserving my win prediction for the end of ST, but I am very bullish on them presently. My prediction will probably be in the 90s.

Prince is usually a very poor postseason hitter and he more than likely always will be. His slash line is .189/.276/.311 in the postseason.

Yep, but you gotta get there first. Also, post season play is such a small sample size, it's hard to know how much credence to put on that, but I see your point.

I'm also reserving my win prediction till the end of ST, but I would imagine I'll be predicting in the low 90's, though circumstances may dictate I alter my prediction slightly one way or another.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, but you gotta get there first. Also, post season play is such a small sample size, it's hard to know how much credence to put on that, but I see your point.

I'm also reserving my win prediction till the end of ST, but I would imagine I'll be predicting in the low 90's, though circumstances may dictate I alter my prediction slightly one way or another.
He will definitely help you get there.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your daily Ryan Rua update.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indians right-hander Tommy Hunter may open the season on the disabled list

That sounds familiar.

I do have to say that Tommy Hunter was a player that I really enjoyed at Fanfest, years ago. He was very engaged with the fans and easy to talk to. I joked w him about getting back to the WS after 2010 and he said "we damn sure better go back next year"! Loved his attitude and he always seemed to be smiling

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from the Bleacher Report re: potential breakout players for 2016.

7) Rougned Odor

After taking over as the Texas Rangers' everyday second basemen last season, Rougned Odor helped to turn around what looked to be a lost season for the Rangers. Odor, 22, is the type of spark-plug player that just about every lineup in baseball needs. Along with being a solid fielder, Odor can work the count, get on base and steal bases. If teammates Prince Fielder, Adrian Beltre and Mitch Moreland can once again have quality seasons, Odor could be one of the leaders in runs scored in the AL this season.