• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficially Official 2016 Spring training thread

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Profar is going tone an absolute stud.
Here is more on Profar's first game back. Very nice to hear.

Jurickson Profar homered off Cole Hamels on the first pitch of his first at-bat of the spring Monday.

And that wasn't the highlight of his day.

Profar made two impressive plays in his first appearance at shortstop in more than two years. In the first inning of the Rangers' intrasquad game, Profar went up the middle on Delino DeShields' grounder to make a diving stop and then threw out the speedy leadoff man on a one-hopper.

In the second inning, Profar ran down a pop fly in shallow left for a sprawling catch to record an out on Hanser Alberto.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jurickson Profar homered off Cole Hamels on the first pitch of his first at-bat of the spring Monday.

Profar made two impressive plays in his first appearance at shortstop in more than two years. In the first inning of the Rangers' intrasquad game, Profar went up the middle on Delino DeShields' grounder to make a diving stop and then threw out the speedy leadoff man on a one-hopper.

In the second inning, Profar ran down a pop fly in shallow left for a sprawling catch to record an out on Hanser Alberto.

Absolutely a good day and great to hear he's making those kind of throws.
Good to hear from you too.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Rangers’ 2016 promotional season is Year of the Bobblehead

Here’s a look at some of the promotional highlights:

April 17: Delino DeShields socks (kids only)

April 19: Jeff Banister A.L. Manager of the Year bobblehead

May 1: Prince Fielder wiffle ball and bat (kids only)

May 10: A.L. West champs tote bag

May 14: Rougned Odor bobblehead

June 4: A.L. West champs 3/4 sleeve T-shirts (kids only)

July 9: Shin-Soo Choo Tin lunch box (kids only)

July 10: Cole Hamels bobblehead

July 30: Franchise Four (Nolan Ryan, Pudge Rodriguez, Michael Young and Adrian Beltre) bobbleheads

Aug. 14: Adrian Beltre removable helmet bobblehead

Aug. 27: Elvis ‘Landrus Calrissian’ Star Wars bobblehead

Also, there are 14 postgame fireworks displays on Friday nights, including the April 1 exhibition game. All seven home Thursday games fans receive Rangers throwback collector pins (April 14 and 21, June 9, July 7 and 28, and Aug. 11 and 25.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers Quote Board On The Signing Of Ian Desmond

Lots of Desmond talk all over the radio and in the media today. I believe I have heard today that Desmond can play every position except pitcher and catcher. Although, I don't believe he has played 1B or 3B at all even in the minors. He has barely played any 2B in the minors or majors.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is nice to read that after all these years Mark DeRosa still thinks so highly of the area that he is encouraging guys to come here to play.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers Quote Board On The Signing Of Ian Desmond

Lots of Desmond talk all over the radio and in the media today. I believe I have heard today that Desmond can play every position except pitcher and catcher. Although, I don't believe he has played 1B or 3B at all even in the minors. He has barely played any 2B in the minors or majors.

I would imagine if he can play SS, he can handle 3B and 2B, that's a transition players make all the time

I doubt it would be a long term thing, just if needed, he could probably do so here and there

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw Mazara went 3 for 3 today. Gallo with 2K's :L

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would imagine if he can play SS, he can handle 3B and 2B, that's a transition players make all the time

I doubt it would be a long term thing, just if needed, he could probably do so here and there
I think the people I heard mentioning it meant like if Beltre got hurt Desmond could play there while he was hurt like Gallo did last year.

I remember Michael Young getting the nickname Lawn Gnome when he played 3B. He just didn't have quick enough reactions to play the hot corner.

2B would be more believable for Desmond, but then again he did lead the NL in errors at SS last year. His only year he played at all at 2B in the majors he made 2 errors in only 26 chances.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the people I heard mentioning it meant like if Beltre got hurt Desmond could play there while he was hurt like Gallo did last year.

I remember Michael Young getting the nickname Lawn Gnome when he played 3B. He just didn't have quick enough reactions to play the hot corner.

2B would be more believable for Desmond, but then again he did lead the NL in errors at SS last year. His only year he played at all at 2B in the majors he made 2 errors in only 26 chances.

Michael Young is a really bad comparison here, he was barely a competent SS

Desmond actually has really good range and graded out in the positive in Defensive Runs saved last year (And the year before) despite all the errors

The big issue has always been the errors though

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Young is a really bad comparison here, he was barely a competent SS

Desmond actually has really good range and graded out in the positive in Defensive Runs saved last year (And the year before) despite all the errors

The big issue has always been the errors though
Young's age probably factored in as well.

I just think some of the pundits are being a bit premature in thinking he is going to be adequate enough at so many different positions. Let's let him learn LF first and then see if he can play the corner infield positions later on.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reactions To The Ian Desmond Signing

• ESPN.com’s Keith Law rates the signing as a rare miss for the Texas front office, arguing that Desmond’s bat isn’t good enough to justify the sacrifice of the 19th overall pick in the upcoming draft. There are a variety of options on hand who might be expected to provide similar overall production, he reasons, citing several traditional outfielders as well as conceivable converts such as Jurickson Profar, Ike Davis, and Joey Gallo. Law does note that there’s some potential value in Desmond’s versatility, including that he could present a theoretical alternative to Andrus at short, as well
  • Jeff Sullivan of Fangraphs, meanwhile, sees the sense in the signing for Texas. By his reckoning, Desmond has a reasonable amount of upside, has shown the kind of athleticism and work ethic to believe he’ll turn into a solid outfielder, and could conceivably step in on the left side of the infield or move around the field if a need arises. For Desmond, argues Sullivan, the deal obviously represents a disappointment in light of the reported extension offer he rejected from the Nationals, but that was a justifiable decision at the time.
I agree with Keith Law on the move, but we shall see. The guy certainly has a great attitude and seems like someone everyone likes. I heard one media member that covered him and he said he thought of Ian Desmond like a son. That is definitely something I have never heard from a media member before.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A days reflection on the signing- you hate to lose the pick. But this move is a hedge against injury, a certain upgrade over Hamilton and allows you to not bring the youngsters up early due to need. I would think we will get 20 or more HRs out of the guy and it balances the lineup as well as gives protection to the other bats. We had a hard time against LHPs las year. This will help. He is obviously not our long term LF but we have a window with Beltre and Yu so an aggressive move like this is to be applauded. A little competition never hurts.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reactions To The Ian Desmond Signing

• ESPN.com’s Keith Law rates the signing as a rare miss for the Texas front office, arguing that Desmond’s bat isn’t good enough to justify the sacrifice of the 19th overall pick in the upcoming draft. There are a variety of options on hand who might be expected to provide similar overall production, he reasons, citing several traditional outfielders as well as conceivable converts such as Jurickson Profar, Ike Davis, and Joey Gallo. Law does note that there’s some potential value in Desmond’s versatility, including that he could present a theoretical alternative to Andrus at short, as well
  • Jeff Sullivan of Fangraphs, meanwhile, sees the sense in the signing for Texas. By his reckoning, Desmond has a reasonable amount of upside, has shown the kind of athleticism and work ethic to believe he’ll turn into a solid outfielder, and could conceivably step in on the left side of the infield or move around the field if a need arises. For Desmond, argues Sullivan, the deal obviously represents a disappointment in light of the reported extension offer he rejected from the Nationals, but that was a justifiable decision at the time.
I agree with Keith Law on the move, but we shall see. The guy certainly has a great attitude and seems like someone everyone likes. I heard one media member that covered him and he said he thought of Ian Desmond like a son. That is definitely something I have never heard from a media member before.

I don't love the move but I don't hate it either, if it works great, if it doesn't he still probably won't be any worse than anyone else we roll out there

There's also no need to rush Gallo, Mazara, or Brinson

In the end its a shot they are taking that's costing 8 million and the 19th pick, I'm ok with that based on what Desmond might provide

If it doesn't work out then we're back where we were minus a 1st round pick, reasonable gamble in my eyes

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A days reflection on the signing- you hate to lose the pick. But this move is a hedge against injury, a certain upgrade over Hamilton and allows you to not bring the youngsters up early due to need. I would think we will get 20 or more HRs out of the guy and it balances the lineup as well as gives protection to the other bats. We had a hard time against LHPs las year. This will help. He is obviously not our long term LF but we have a window with Beltre and Yu so an aggressive move like this is to be applauded. A little competition never hurts.

Beat me to it... Desmond being RHed also helps quite a bit

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is the main reason I believe this is Elvis' last year as a Ranger, unless Profar moves to 3rd and Gallo moves to 1st with MM out after this year.