• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: tOfficial Mariners 2019 Season Thread

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one should be shocked right now. If you put stock in a 13-2 start against mostly bad teams (yes, the Red Sox are very bad right now) and expected that to continue against the Astros and Indians, 2 of the AL's best, that's on you letting "what if" get the best of you.

We were putting up historically significant numbers offensively to get to 13-2. Of course things would come back down to Earth. Even the best teams in history couldn't keep that going for long, so I hope you enjoyed the hot streak as much as I did, but welcome to the real 2019 Mariners. Maybe don't show up to that appointment for your 2019 World Series Champion tattoo.

I"m not shocked at all, but I thought they'd have more fight than this, not get swept aside by both teams.. I knew coming into this stretch we'd see what this team really was... The Astros treated us like a minor league team, Indians I don't think are Astro level, but they're better than we are for sure.... It was a fun start, but these are who the Mariners are, hopefully they'll end the season over .500 ....

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know the pitching hasn't been too bad...

It will run into issues depending on the offense it faces. Depending on what you get out of Felix you have a bunch of number 3ish starters in the rotation. So basically low ceiling low floor. I expect around middle of the pack production from the rotation

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will run into issues depending on the offense it faces. Depending on what you get out of Felix you have a bunch of number 3ish starters in the rotation. So basically low ceiling low floor. I expect around middle of the pack production from the rotation

You take this last home stand, throw out one game of each series, and they came this team in it to win a few of these games.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Debbie had a dimple in her crimple
And in her eye ..she had a guy.

Reggy,s flying regalia..just about ta nail ya
Never fail ya
Flying regailia

Oops sorry about that working on a Rapp
Didn't want to give it away though...lol

Last edited:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an interesting hypothetical for you guys to consider. I'm not predicting any of this will happen, but it's an interesting scenario to consider:

If Erik Swanson pitches well - say between a 3-4 ERA - and Felix goes back to his 2018 form, once Wade LeBlanc comes back, what do you do?

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an interesting hypothetical for you guys to consider. I'm not predicting any of this will happen, but it's an interesting scenario to consider:

If Erik Swanson pitches well - say between a 3-4 ERA - and Felix goes back to his 2018 form, once Wade LeBlanc comes back, what do you do?

I think its going to be some time before LeBlanc comes back ready to pitch and that answer will reveal itself similar to when we talked about what to do with Healy, Edwin, and Bruce when Seager comes back. its a good problem to have if Swanson and felix can still play but I would keep Leblanc on the bench If those other pitchers are playing well

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be damned- Vogey gets a single. Runs his butt off but got the 1 bagger!! :pound:

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vogey with 2 hits and 3 walks. Like I said, dude has a great eye at the plate. He's a guy who deserves a long leash to see if he's a legit DH long term.

There's a place in this game for rotund mashers. Ortiz, Mo Vaughn, Prince and Cecil Fielder.

How about Omar Naravez upgrading the offense 1000% at catcher? That's been nice to see so far as well.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vogey with 2 hits and 3 walks. Like I said, dude has a great eye at the plate. He's a guy who deserves a long leash to see if he's a legit DH long term.

There's a place in this game for rotund mashers. Ortiz, Mo Vaughn, Prince and Cecil Fielder.

How about Omar Naravez upgrading the offense 1000% at catcher? That's been nice to see so far as well.

For some reason many of the "experts" don't see Vogelbach's bat generating enough to stick at DH.

If he puts it all together (which he has so far) to me he projects as a Billy Butler type without as many doubles and perhaps a higher OBP and lower BA.

If he continues getting playing time, I don't see any reason not to expect that he could be a guy that hits around .270/.360/.470 with 20 HRs or so. Hopefully he keeps up this strong start.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also to add to my other post, I always liked the Naravez move. I can see that he does struggle with pitch framing though, but apparently they're working with him on that. He might be trying a little bit too hard on that end because last night I swear there were a good handful of times in which he'd catch a pitch then very blatantly move his glove up about 6 inches. It wasn't very subtle at all.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also to add to my other post, I always liked the Naravez move. I can see that he does struggle with pitch framing though, but apparently they're working with him on that. He might be trying a little bit too hard on that end because last night I swear there were a good handful of times in which he'd catch a pitch then very blatantly move his glove up about 6 inches. It wasn't very subtle at all.

Yeah but that very move has worked for a few of the catchers against us this year where the ump wasn't told the plate doesn't extend to the other batters box.

So far I think his offense has offset his defense, and we already saw the product of great defense and pitch framing but terrible approach at the plate.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess it could be worse, we could be Angel fans....:L
You pop the ball up and don't run it out, :gaah:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess it could be worse, we could be Angel fans....:L
You pop the ball up and don't run it out, :gaah:

Best part about this season is that I actually think this will be one of the more fun teams we've had to watch the last decade or so.

I've found myself watching until the very end irrespective of the score because the Mariners could either blow a 3+ run lead, or come back from a 3+ run lead.

I'm still convinced they will come back down to Earth, but they definitely will have a lot of really exciting games to watch.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best part about this season is that I actually think this will be one of the more fun teams we've had to watch the last decade or so.

I've found myself watching until the very end irrespective of the score because the Mariners could either blow a 3+ run lead, or come back from a 3+ run lead.

I'm still convinced they will come back down to Earth, but they definitely will have a lot of really exciting games to watch.

No the comeback kids are fun to watch and you really have to watch all 9inngs cause anything can happen

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These guys just amaze me. They looked like dog poo for the home stretch and the just keep hitting the dingers on the road. I'm kinda liking Rosscup in relief. The dude has a killer fast ball when he's got his control going. I like his slider too. His main prob is he gets a bit keyed at times but he can work on that. Weird, just as I'm typing this he loads the sacks up but he's able to get out of it with no damage. :thumb:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since ya'll know I love throwing out conversation topics for us to debate, here is a thought:

The Yankees are down Aaron Judge, Aaron Hicks and Greg Bird and their first base situation wasn't great to begin with. Wonder if they might have some interest in Encarnacion, Bruce or Healy.

As a contending team with a weakness at 1B, I'd think an Encarnacion trade to NY makes sense for both sides.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since ya'll know I love throwing out conversation topics for us to debate, here is a thought:

The Yankees are down Aaron Judge, Aaron Hicks and Greg Bird and their first base situation wasn't great to begin with. Wonder if they might have some interest in Encarnacion, Bruce or Healy.

As a contending team with a weakness at 1B, I'd think an Encarnacion trade to NY makes sense for both sides.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s easier to teach a good hitter to become an adequate to below average catcher than a good catcher to become an adequate hitter.