• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: tOfficial Mariners 2019 Season Thread

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since ya'll know I love throwing out conversation topics for us to debate, here is a thought:

The Yankees are down Aaron Judge, Aaron Hicks and Greg Bird and their first base situation wasn't great to begin with. Wonder if they might have some interest in Encarnacion, Bruce or Healy.

As a contending team with a weakness at 1B, I'd think an Encarnacion trade to NY makes sense for both sides.

As long as it's a quality trade back to the M's.
I mean he's playing out his last year on the 3yr deal Cleveland gave him I wouldn't want a couple of relief pitchers that will never get past the AA level.....

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as it's a quality trade back to the M's.
I mean he's playing out his last year on the 3yr deal Cleveland gave him I wouldn't want a couple of relief pitchers that will never get past the AA level.....

The argument on behalf of trading him is;

(1) I'm still not convinced this is a playoff caliber team.
(2) I don't see any value in holding on to Edwin Encarnacion when it's quite probable that he won't be on the team in 2020. I can't see the Mariners paying a 37 year old Edwin Encarnacion $20m when we have cheaper/younger options at 1B/DH in Healy/Vogelbach. That being said, the Mariners would very likely take his $5m buyout.
(3) I would rather take organizational depth that can be used in future trades when/if the team contends or perhaps surprise us than have the team hold on to someone who won't contribute long-term.

I wouldn't anticipate that the return on him would be substantial, but it could improve the farm system. 2019 isn't our year, and it makes sense to leverage guys like Encarnacion so that we can continue to build a team that will have the resources to contend in 2020 or 2021.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The argument on behalf of trading him is;

(1) I'm still not convinced this is a playoff caliber team.
(2) I don't see any value in holding on to Edwin Encarnacion when it's quite probable that he won't be on the team in 2020. I can't see the Mariners paying a 37 year old Edwin Encarnacion $20m when we have cheaper/younger options at 1B/DH in Healy/Vogelbach. That being said, the Mariners would very likely take his $5m buyout.
(3) I would rather take organizational depth that can be used in future trades when/if the team contends or perhaps surprise us than have the team hold on to someone who won't contribute long-term.

I wouldn't anticipate that the return on him would be substantial, but it could improve the farm system. 2019 isn't our year, and it makes sense to leverage guys like Encarnacion so that we can continue to build a team that will have the resources to contend in 2020 or 2021.

Encarnacion is really just a give away guy. You need so many things to go right for any team to give up a legitimate prospect for him. The best the Mariners could hope for is future or current bullpen help. He is making too much money and there isn’t and never will be a market for a player of his skill in this new modern day baseball. Kind of like Cruz these past two seasons, not really a market for other GM’s.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Encarnacion is really just a give away guy. You need so many things to go right for any team to give up a legitimate prospect for him. The best the Mariners could hope for is future or current bullpen help. He is making too much money and there isn’t and never will be a market for a player of his skill in this new modern day baseball. Kind of like Cruz these past two seasons, not really a market for other GM’s.

If a team is willing, I'd be happy with a compensatory pick in the draft similar to what we received for Carlos Santana. I'd rather take a shot in the dark in the draft and take our chances developing a raw prospect than taking someone else's C grade prospect with limited upside.

The return could be dependent on how much cash the Mariners are willing to send along with him.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a team is willing, I'd be happy with a compensatory pick in the draft similar to what we received for Carlos Santana. I'd rather take a shot in the dark in the draft and take our chances developing a raw prospect than taking someone else's C grade prospect with limited upside.

The return could be dependent on how much cash the Mariners are willing to send along with him.

Either way, wishful thinking but I wish they would trade for what another organization seems as a throw in like what Arizona thought of Haniger except a pitcher.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those two games against the Rangers have to be historically bad for this franchise. I can't really recall the last time they played that awful.

We were outscored 29-2, committed a whopping 7 errors and gave up 37 hits in addition to the 29 runs.

Yikes.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those two games against the Rangers have to be historically bad for this franchise. I can't really recall the last time they played that awful.

We were outscored 29-2, committed a whopping 7 errors and gave up 37 hits in addition to the 29 runs.

Yikes.
Another brilliant move by the Founding Fathers of False Hope.

Heads SHOULD roll after that, but where do you start?

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yikes.

I haven't been following as much, but I walked by while my dad was watching the game and said this has to be a replay from the previous day. Nope, it was actually a live game after I saw the results.

They've shown flashes of being good and also flashes of being bad, really bad. All we can ask for is they find a middle ground. This team has now given up a whopping 170 total runs, only the Orioles are worse and if it weren't for the offensive show they put on early in the season, they would easily be in the negative runs differential.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next upcoming road trip after 2 against the Cubs will be very telling for this club early in the season. They've already shown they can't hang with the big boys by getting blasted last time they faced Houston and Cleveland.

The next road trip consists of 3 against Cleveland, 4 against New York, 3 against Boston.

Could be staring down at below .500 after the Cubs, Indians, Yankees, and Redsox series.

At least we all have the first 2 weeks of the season to be excited about. lol

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another brilliant move by the Founding Fathers of False Hope.

Heads SHOULD roll after that, but where do you start?

Tim Beckham somehow has 11 errors already.

I am hoping that is some kind of aberration because at the plate he has looked like a good signing.

According to ESPN Domingo Santana's -9 defensive runs scored is the worst in the majors.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't been following as much, but I walked by while my dad was watching the game and said this has to be a replay from the previous day. Nope, it was actually a live game after I saw the results.

They've shown flashes of being good and also flashes of being bad, really bad. All we can ask for is they find a middle ground. This team has now given up a whopping 170 total runs, only the Orioles are worse and if it weren't for the offensive show they put on early in the season, they would easily be in the negative runs differential.

It has been pretty evident so far that the team is going to be incredibly inconsistent.

Without looking to heavily into it, I'd have to believe that the Mariners have the worst bullpen in baseball and a below average rotation. That plus an offense capable of putting up a lot of runs on the board is probably going to result in a lot of games like this.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been pretty evident so far that the team is going to be incredibly inconsistent.

Without looking to heavily into it, I'd have to believe that the Mariners have the worst bullpen in baseball and a below average rotation. That plus an offense capable of putting up a lot of runs on the board is probably going to result in a lot of games like this.
This team could end up scoring 900 runs and still give up 900 runs. lol.

AceKeptic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care if this IS a transition period for the team. Getting hammered by the other team is one thing, but at least TRY to make it a game, no matter what the situation; don't just quit on your fans!

Like you've been doing every year since 2002.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have the time or patience to answer this question myself, but does anyone know if this four game losing streak is historically bad? If not by MLB standards, at least for the franchise.

Over the course of four games, here are the stats:

- 4 losses
- 46 runs allowed
- 7 runs scored
- 57 hits allowed
- 19 hits on offense
- 8 errors

Yikes.

AceKeptic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have the time or patience to answer this question myself, but does anyone know if this four game losing streak is historically bad? If not by MLB standards, at least for the franchise.

Over the course of four games, here are the stats:

- 4 losses
- 46 runs allowed
- 7 runs scored
- 57 hits allowed
- 19 hits on offense
- 8 errors

Yikes.
Yeah, THAT'S Major League material.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB put out there top 100...its ok whether or not i agree with it

But they put ....George Kirby ELON
right at #20
That I can agree with

Others that may be available at #2
According to mlb..that I would consider

Mike toglia..1b/of
Chase strupmf.2b.both ucla
Isaiah campbell...rhp....arkansas
John doxakis...LHP..texas A@M

A player in watching for later in the draft
Joey ortiz....short stop....new mexico state

Yeah I'm not looking at HS guys cuz mariners need good pitching..at mlb lvl as soon as possible..so I'm going collage guys in hopes they can move up fast

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Outside of Haniger I think every offensive player is good but looking at their history they are all really streaky guys. It sucks as we have seen both sides of the anomaly. Rarely do you have all the streaky guys hot at the same time and rarely do you have all your streaky guys cold at the same time regardless of the caliber of pitching they are facing.

The defense to me is way more troubling than the offense though.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The M's are really the only MLB team that I have seriously followed so I really can't say how unusual it is for this team to be inconsistent. I do know that over the last several years, the Mariners have been very inconsistent. About the only thing I can think of where they have been consistent is being inconsistent. (That excludes GM's and Managers)

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of Haniger I think every offensive player is good but looking at their history they are all really streaky guys. It sucks as we have seen both sides of the anomaly. Rarely do you have all the streaky guys hot at the same time and rarely do you have all your streaky guys cold at the same time regardless of the caliber of pitching they are facing.

The defense to me is way more troubling than the offense though.

Definitely.

I'm still scratching my head regarding the defense though. If you go through position by position, there are some obvious candidates, but some that are more surprising.

I think it was anticipated that Ryon Healy, Edwin Encarnacion, Jay Bruce and Daniel Vogelbach would struggle. I'm mostly surprised with the struggles of Mallex Smith, Domingo Santana and Tim Beckham.

Beckham had a career dWAR of 0.8 in 384 games before coming to Seattle, and has a dWAR of -0.4 in 31 games with the Mariners. I know dWAR isn't the best metric, but it's something. Also what is quite surprising is the fact that he has committed 11 errors in those 31 games. That really needs to be cleaned up because that is an impressively awful number.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team's rapid decent back to earth is about as impressive as their quick start.

But hey, at least we all have the first 2 weeks of the season to enjoy. LOL.

The earth bound spiral definitely happened during the Houston/Cleveland series.