• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial Auburn Superthread

Which matches up better against FSU? OSU or Auburn?

• Total voters

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because OU played them doesn't mean it's not a jump in SoS if Auburn had played them.

It would have been better, but the SOS were pretty far apart. It would not have given Auburn enough. Any claims I have seen are based on OU's miserable performace. Absolutely nothing based on the information available at the time.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU was ranked 2nd in both polls and higher strength of schedule. Bowling Green is a red herring. OU played them already, so you were not goung to have a better SOS even with that game. I simply said on Dec 5th, therecwas little argument for Auburn to jump OU. You can say they got rolled by USC, but that is hindsight at best

Oklahoma wouldn't have played Bowling Green without paying them to cancel their game against Auburn. Auburn's SOS would have been greatly improved and Oklahoma's would have dropped :gaah:

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU was ranked 2nd in both polls and higher strength of schedule. Bowling Green is a red herring. OU played them already, so you were not goung to have a better SOS even with that game. I simply said on Dec 5th, therecwas little argument for Auburn to jump OU. You can say they got rolled by USC, but that is hindsight at best

Actually Bowling Green was in the top 25 that year (which is crazy) and the margin was so low it really could have been the difference.

Another point is how far Tenn dropped down to 15th but two of their 3 losses where to Auburn and that tilted the computers as well. Tenn with two losses is a top 10 team and if not for Auburn might have been playing for it all.

It's just not as black and white as you would like it to be this was extremely close and yes the Bowling Green game replacing the Citadel (which was originally scheduled) very well could have been the difference.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Bowling Green was in the top 25 that year (which is crazy) and the margin was so low it really could have been the difference.

Another point is how far Tenn dropped down to 15th but two of their 3 losses where to Auburn and that tilted the computers as well. Tenn with two losses is a top 10 team and if not for Auburn might have been playing for it all.

It's just not as black and white as you would like it to be this was extremely close and yes the Bowling Green game replacing the Citadel (which was originally scheduled) very well could have been the difference.

Final rankings in BCS as of Dec 4th were USC, OU, and Auburn..
The BCS averages were:
USC: .977
OU: .9681
Auburn: 9331

35 bps seems small, but that is quite a bit farther away than 1 would think. I think it was just bad timing, not a screw job.
Total Offense: OU #8, USC #12, Auburn #26
Total Defense: Auburn #1, USC #3, OU#12

Just not a lot to say that either team should have been out. I actually believe the argument was more USC and Auburn at the time. The Big 12 South was considered the best division football back then (damn things have changed). OU, Texas, Texas Tech, OSU and A&M were ranked in the final BCS poll on the 4th (Bowling Green was not). So OU had 4 top 25 wins. Auburn faced 3 top 25 teams (beat Tenn twice). USC beat 3 ranked teams. So there was not much to for Auburn fans to really argue about. System just could not handle the situation. You would have thought there would have been a bigger push for a playoff. Shockingly, SEC came out in favor of a playoff afterwards. Big 12 and the rest were pretty quite. Amazing how that works.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Final rankings in BCS as of Dec 4th were USC, OU, and Auburn..
The BCS averages were:
USC: .977
OU: .9681
Auburn: 9331

35 bps seems small, but that is quite a bit farther away than 1 would think. I think it was just bad timing, not a screw job.
Total Offense: OU #8, USC #12, Auburn #26
Total Defense: Auburn #1, USC #3, OU#12

Just not a lot to say that either team should have been out. I actually believe the argument was more USC and Auburn at the time. The Big 12 South was considered the best division football back then (damn things have changed). OU, Texas, Texas Tech, OSU and A&M were ranked in the final BCS poll on the 4th (Bowling Green was not). So OU had 4 top 25 wins. Auburn faced 3 top 25 teams (beat Tenn twice). USC beat 3 ranked teams. So there was not much to for Auburn fans to really argue about. System just could not handle the situation. You would have thought there would have been a bigger push for a playoff. Shockingly, SEC came out in favor of a playoff afterwards. Big 12 and the rest were pretty quite. Amazing how that works.

You still don't get the bowling green thing???

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You still don't get the bowling green thing???
-\
I do, but the SOS was 13th and 60th.. It wasnt 13 and 20.. I think you just want to believe you got screwed. The mere fact that you are pting to a schedule boost from an unranked Bowling Green (they were not in the Final BCS poll on Dec 4th) team tells you all you need to know about why Auburn was left out.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's stupid that's it's vacated it should be awarded Auburn is the best candidate I'll never understand why you have an issue with that. I get being pissed at the NCAA and feeling you earned it but right or wrong they stripped it and Auburn was undefeated and should have been in the game.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's stupid that's it's vacated it should be awarded Auburn is the best candidate I'll never understand why you have an issue with that. I get being pissed at the NCAA and feeling you earned it but right or wrong they stripped it and Auburn was undefeated and should have been in the game.

Oh good grief. Since it means so much to you to get a trophy for a game that your team didn't play in. Here ya go:

th

Happy now?

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Cat Weekend to glorify BCS goat Chris Davis. All paths lead to the Bagman. Seriously, the truth is stranger than fiction.

Y! SPORTS

lol. you are still hungup on that imaginary bagman? It's an underrated movie but come on.......

Last edited by a moderator:

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh good grief. Since it means so much to you to get a trophy for a game that your team didn't play in. Here ya go:

th

Happy now?

Has more to do than just the BCS game the Coaches poll is held hostage if the game is vacated at least the coaches should be able to name a champion. This isn't about a participation trophy it's about an undefeated season where we earned the right to play for it and where denied.

Besides pretty much everyone in the country when talking about the BCS point to 2004 has a year the system didn't work. The opinion is sound and it takes nothing away from USC they had a great season and got screwed by the NCAA but so did Auburn by the polls.

Tell me you wouldn't have rather played us.