• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial 2017 trade deadline thread - or "someone shackle Benning for God's sake 2017"

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
don't forget, Blues retain 39% (?!?) of Shatt salary.

- and how about 40%
- no way!! you're crazy, we'll NEVER go that high!!
- uhhh..

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still kinda trying to piece all of that together but it doesn't look like the Blues got much for the best d-man on the market in a world filled with teams needing d-men. The 26th overall pick and a conditional second rounder?

Unless they have a follow-up trade lined up where they're moving those picks and something else for some badly-needed firepower, if that's the best return you're getting don't you just hold onto the asset as "your own rental"?

You're in a playoff spot and there's probably only one team capable of pushing you out of that spot. You have the time and the points to get back into the division spot race and avoid a top seed. A lot of key guys on the Blues are pushing 30 or over it. They probably had one more run in this group before they need to try and re-tool around Tarasenko, Pietrangelo and Parayko. Unless they have a follow-up deal with Colorado for Duchene lined up I think they just wiped that chance out.

I think Dean Lombardi and Darryl are very happy this morning, loss last night be damned.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still kinda trying to piece all of that together but it doesn't look like the Blues got much for the best d-man on the market in a world filled with teams needing d-men. The 26th overall pick and a conditional second rounder?

Unless they have a follow-up trade lined up where they're moving those picks and something else for some badly-needed firepower, if that's the best return you're getting don't you just hold onto the asset as "your own rental"?

You're in a playoff spot and there's probably only one team capable of pushing you out of that spot. You have the time and the points to get back into the division spot race and avoid a top seed. A lot of key guys on the Blues are pushing 30 or over it. They probably had one more run in this group before they need to try and re-tool around Tarasenko, Pietrangelo and Parayko. Unless they have a follow-up deal with Colorado for Duchene lined up I think they just wiped that chance out.

I think Dean Lombardi and Darryl are very happy this morning, loss last night be damned.

Would/should the Leafs have offered a comparable package?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would/should the Leafs have offered a comparable package?
Only made sense for the Leafs if he re-signed and I think they're kinda scared about the cap in 2 years when they'll have Willie/Matthews/Marner/Brown/Zaitsev/JVR extensions on the books along with everybody else they've signed so far. The money simply would never make sense.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Mike Commodore wasn't wanting a hug after the trade. Maybe he needs one though

Commie was one of the best parts of last year's deadline with his #packyourshit comments. He's hilarious.

I would have LOVED to add Shattenkirk. Great grab by the Caps. Crazy to think that Shatty and Backes go in successive seasons. Pietrangelo next?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dreger is becoming more like Eklund every day.

Serious question: What was the last 3-way trade in the NHL? I can't even think of one.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't like giving up a 1st round pick in any deal, but I can't say I'm upset with this deal. In fact, I'd say I like it a whole lot. A week ago I don't think the caps would've made a trade, but Orpik and Niskanen have minor injuries and have missed the last two games. Instead Taylor Chorney and Aaron Ness played. Chorney is a solid #7 defenseman, but Aaron Ness is probably at best a top pairing at the AHL level. Two injuries and our outlook of how strong our defense was in depth and injuries can come in waves sometimes.

Trade ended up as Shattenkirk for 2017 1st round pick, 2018 2nd round, and Zach Sanford. The fact they didn't have to trade Vrana or Bowey is already a plus. Plus we payed less for Shattenkirk than what was payed for in the Hanzal deal.

Agree. All in for this year while the band is still together. This will be a different team next year and this is as talented as they have ever been and they are playing as good as ever. In the playoffs, you really need 8 defensemen that can play and I think this give it to them. My only concern is that they decide to dress Orpik over Schmidt or Orlov. The top 6 (if healthy) need to be Alzner, Carlson, Niskanen, Orlov, Schultz and Shattenkirk. Orpik and Gilbert provide depth.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. All in for this year while the band is still together. This will be a different team next year and this is as talented as they have ever been and they are playing as good as ever. In the playoffs, you really need 8 defensemen that can play and I think this give it to them. My only concern is that they decide to dress Orpik over Schmidt or Orlov. The top 6 (if healthy) need to be Alzner, Carlson, Niskanen, Orlov, Schultz and Shattenkirk. Orpik and Gilbert provide depth.

Orlov has arguably been our best D-man this year. No way he is scratched, even under Trotz. Agreed that Orpik shouldn't play over Schmidt, but he will. He's been a lot better this year compared to last, but a lot of that I would argue is due to him being played with Schmidt. Also I'd consider Gilbert #9 behind Chorney.

Pairings I would like to see:
Orlov - Niskanen
Alzner- Shattenkirk
Schmidt - Carlson

Pairings we probably will see:
Orlov - Niskanen
Alzner- Shattenkirk
Orpik - Carlson

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also an under looked aspect of this trade is that Shattenkirk will hopefully be able to feed OV on the PP at the OV spot like Mike Green used to. I don't know how a simple pass has become so difficult for Carlson to make, but Green used to hit OV right in his wheel house on the top of the left circle every single time.