• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial 2017 Recruiting Thread

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get all that. Just saying......don't dismiss Strong on the recruiting trail. He doesn't have the rings to sell, but he just put together a historic class......he's better than you think at both evaluations and recruiting.

Both schools will live with or without these players......but Browning is a harder sell than Okudah in terms of leaving the state.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
iowa_hawkeyes_logo-png-104096-png.108820.png

Big commit today for Iowa at the expense of Baylor.

4-star CB Chevin Calloway out of Dallas, TX has committed to Iowa instead of his previous favorite, Baylor. Currently, Calloway holds 32 offers.

Chevin Calloway, Bishop Dunne, Cornerback

The Hawkeyes are having a good recruiting season as their 2017 class so far has one 5-star, three 4-stars, and four high (over .8500) 3-stars.

So far, 5 out of the 15 Iowa commits hail from Texas.

I guess the shiny new Hawkeyes football facility which opened last year is quite impressive, and is helping draw recruits to Iowa.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From your position I can see that.

What I'm telling you is that if Texas wins 8, your season WILL NOT MATTER. He will sign with Texas. He REALLY likes Charlie Strong, and if you've been paying attention the last two recruiting cycles......where he is right now won't matter.

Charlie closes on recruits as well as anybody in the nation. You guys simply don't get just how good he is as a recruiter. Most of these kids don't WANT to leave the state. All they need is a good reason to go to UT.

You SHOULD be worried. You should be VERY worried.
Beat me to it Eric. Okudah is a Buckeye, as I've been saying.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beat me to it Eric. Okudah is a Buckeye, as I've been saying.

You know what's crazy. Out of the top 20 kids in the state of Texas(according to ESPN recruiting), 10 are committed already to schools outside the state of Texas, and that doesn't even include Okunduh who's leaving the state as well. Only TWO are committed to schools in Texas(UT and TTU). IF Texas has another shitty year a lot of these uncommitted kids are going to leave the state. A&M already has 17 kids committed, nobody is going to go to Baylor and Texas Tech has never gotten highly rated kids as is.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what's crazy. Out of the top 20 kids in the state of Texas(according to ESPN recruiting), 10 are committed already to schools outside the state of Texas, and that doesn't even include Okunduh who's leaving the state as well. Only TWO are committed to schools in Texas(UT and TTU). IF Texas has another shitty year a lot of these uncommitted kids are going to leave the state. A&M already has 17 kids committed, nobody is going to go to Baylor and Texas Tech has never gotten highly rated kids as is.
Yeah that's been a trend for the last few years now. Malik Jefferson is really the only elite Texas prospect that's gone to UT in the last 4 years that I've seen, and 2017 won't be much different. Strong has to win at least 9-10 games this year to gain any kind of momentum. Continually treading water isn't going to attract any top-tier prospects, especially when they have the option to go to programs like ND, OSU, LSU, OU, Bama, etc.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that's been a trend for the last few years now. Malik Jefferson is really the only elite Texas prospect that's gone to UT in the last 4 years that I've seen, and 2017 won't be much different. Strong has to win at least 9-10 games this year to gain any kind of momentum. Continually treading water isn't going to attract any top-tier prospects, especially when they have the option to go to programs like ND, OSU, LSU, OU, Bama, etc.

Yeah I agree. This is the best ND has done in the state of Texas in a long time. LSU, OU and Bama are natural fits to leave the state, and OSU has had success in the state of Texas(JT Barrett etc)

Also, somewhat surprising Iowa has nabbed 5 kids already from Texas.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both of you are clueless.

Texas hasn't gotten elite in state talent outside of Jefferson? You guys really have no clue who they've signed, do you?

You also have no clue who they're in on in this class as well. I've linked it before. Texas has taken more of the top 50 players in state than any other program over the last 3 years. That's FACT.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Texas hasn't gotten elite in state talent outside of Jefferson? You guys really have no clue who they've signed, do you?

You also have no clue who they're in on in this class as well. I've linked it before. Texas has taken more of the top 50 players in state than any other program over the last 3 years. That's FACT.

And you also thought Okunduh was going to go to Texas if Texas had a good year, and we find out Texas isn't even in his top 6.

Also, I didn't say that in regards to elite talent, ATF did. I'm sure Texas is in on all the too guys, why wouldn't they be? But as of now a lot of kids are committing to teams outside the state. That's FACT.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't consider the top 50 players elite - I consider the top 5 players elite. In the last 5 years, Texas has gotten 3 players considered top 5 in the state of Texas, and one of them (Duvernay) you only have because Baylor imploded so he didn't even pick you really.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't consider the top 50 players elite - I consider the top 5 players elite. In the last 5 years, Texas has gotten 3 players considered top 5 in the state of Texas, and one of them (Duvernay) you only have because Baylor imploded so he didn't even pick you really.

Top 50 players in a state that produces 400 D1 ready athletes in football a year.......that's not elite?

I'd have to look it up, but I'd wager no team in state has ever monopolized the top 5 players - 1 there is no consensus on who those kids are for the most part - and 2, it's hard to get top 5 when you aren't winning. The fact that Texas is locking down most of the top 10, 20, and 50 is remarkable.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's interesting that people around the country dont understand the players CS has pulled in the last two years. That's okay.
If he gets a comparable class this year (and right now, the rankings really mean diddly. Some will stick as they are now in early July. Many will not. I mean look at 2015 for example) that will be three classes of talent that is not just good 'rankings wise' but is good because of where those players will play. And these players were evaluated, hard. He knows what kind of players he wants, and he now has two classes of them. Give him a couple more, and we are talking about building something here.
Alabama is a power because they have been getting good talent, stacked at every position. Texas and most other schools are not even close. OSU has been stacking now for a few years, and there are a few others. But no one comes close to the depth of talent Bama has right now. But CS is building something that can grow into what OSU and a few others have.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's interesting that people around the country dont understand the players CS has pulled in the last two years. That's okay.
If he gets a comparable class this year (and right now, the rankings really mean diddly. Some will stick as they are now in early July. Many will not. I mean look at 2015 for example) that will be three classes of talent that is not just good 'rankings wise' but is good because of where those players will play. And these players were evaluated, hard. He knows what kind of players he wants, and he now has two classes of them. Give him a couple more, and we are talking about building something here.
Alabama is a power because they have been getting good talent, stacked at every position. Texas and most other schools are not even close. OSU has been stacking now for a few years, and there are a few others. But no one comes close to the depth of talent Bama has right now. But CS is building something that can grow into what OSU and a few others have.
Ohio State is significantly closer to Bama's talent level than Texas is to Ohio State's, that's not debatable.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 50 players in a state that produces 400 D1 ready athletes in football a year.......that's not elite?

I'd have to look it up, but I'd wager no team in state has ever monopolized the top 5 players - 1 there is no consensus on who those kids are for the most part - and 2, it's hard to get top 5 when you aren't winning. The fact that Texas is locking down most of the top 10, 20, and 50 is remarkable.
It's not remarkable, you guys are Texas. There shouldn't have been this drop-off in the first place.

You're also not locking down most of the top 10 or 20:

2013: 2 top 10, 5 top 20
2014: 2 top 10, 4 top 20
2015: 1 top 10, 6 top 20
2016: 1 top 10, 5 top 20 - ended up with 3 top 10, 7 top 20, but only because Baylor collapsed so those kids didn't even pick Texas to begin so they don't count
2017: 1 top 10, 2 top 20 so far, and most of the highly ranked kids will end up not at UT (odds are UT gets, at most, 3 top 10)

When you start talking about the top 50, you're talking about 3* kids, which isn't impressive at all.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not remarkable, you guys are Texas. There shouldn't have been this drop-off in the first place.

You're also not locking down most of the top 10 or 20:

2013: 2 top 10, 5 top 20
2014: 2 top 10, 4 top 20
2015: 1 top 10, 6 top 20
2016: 1 top 10, 5 top 20 - ended up with 3 top 10, 7 top 20, but only because Baylor collapsed so those kids didn't even pick Texas to begin so they don't count
2017: 1 top 10, 2 top 20 so far, and most of the highly ranked kids will end up not at UT (odds are UT gets, at most, 3 top 10)

When you start talking about the top 50, you're talking about 3* kids, which isn't impressive at all.

Where are you getting your numbers? Because they're wrong - or maybe the services you are looking at are different than mine.

I'll reiterate - Texas has taken more of the top 10, 20 and 50 than ANY other school in the state the last 3 years. By a fairly decent margin too.

I'm using 24/7 composite. I've even looked at ESPN.

As far as 2017 goes - Texas will own the top 10 there as well. You guys need to remember its only July. We've heard Texas wasn't going to get anyone the last two years.......and Texas ended up with more of that talent than anyone else. Strong doesn't recruit in July.......he recruits in December. He closes on kids better than most of you seem to realize.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where are you getting your numbers? Because they're wrong - or maybe the services you are looking at are different than mine.

I'll reiterate - Texas has taken more of the top 10, 20 and 50 than ANY other school in the state the last 3 years. By a fairly decent margin too.

I'm using 24/7 composite. I've even looked at ESPN.

As far as 2017 goes - Texas will own the top 10 there as well. You guys need to remember its only July. We've heard Texas wasn't going to get anyone the last two years.......and Texas ended up with more of that talent than anyone else. Strong doesn't recruit in July.......he recruits in December. He closes on kids better than most of you seem to realize.
I'm using 24/7, so if you're not agreeing with the numbers, you're looking at their rankings incorrectly.

You're also not going to own the top 10. Okudah, Dobbins, and likely Browning will be Buckeyes, Deculus is going to LSU, Anderson is going to TTech, Wright is going to ND, and Hines is leaning Oklahoma.

I'll admit you have more of the top 10,20 than any other one school, but you're not getting most of them yourselves. Besides, you should be getting these recruits, so it's not like this is some amazing feat. Mack Brown used to do that all the time.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a repeat of last years conversation. 8 or the top 20 went out of state. Texas got 7 of the top 20. Right now it sits at 7. OU and LSU will always be involved. There are usually 2-3 kids that are going out of state. I think you will always see 5-7 in the state move on.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm using 24/7, so if you're not agreeing with the numbers, you're looking at their rankings incorrectly.

You're also not going to own the top 10. Okudah, Dobbins, and likely Browning will be Buckeyes, Deculus is going to LSU, Anderson is going to TTech, Wright is going to ND, and Hines is leaning Oklahoma.

I'll admit you have more of the top 10,20 than any other one school, but you're not getting most of them yourselves. Besides, you should be getting these recruits, so it's not like this is some amazing feat. Mack Brown used to do that all the time.

1st it is early, so where kids are leaning is a bit of a silly argument. 2nd, I have heard nobody that believes OSU is leading for Browning. He just cancelled his visit to attend under the lights at Texas, but you think OSU leads? Texas is good position with Marvin Wilson, Browning, Little, and Hines. Dobbins recruitment will get interesting if Texas wins. A lot of it will depend on how Texas does this year. Texas gets 9 wins and watch out. Texas wins 5 and there will be a lot of burnt orange tears on the recruiting trail. Learn from that Michigan guy last year. He talked in Summer and early fall, he was real quiet on signing day.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What? Just last year
#4 WR in the country
#1 Safety
#2 OG
#4 QB
#4 OLB

now sure what you mean by elite. 5 players ranked inside the top 5 in country.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st it is early, so where kids are leaning is a bit of a silly argument. 2nd, I have heard nobody that believes OSU is leading for Browning. He just cancelled his visit to attend under the lights at Texas, but you think OSU leads? Texas is good position with Marvin Wilson, Browning, Little, and Hines. Dobbins recruitment will get interesting if Texas wins. A lot of it will depend on how Texas does this year. Texas gets 9 wins and watch out. Texas wins 5 and there will be a lot of burnt orange tears on the recruiting trail. Learn from that Michigan guy last year. He talked in Summer and early fall, he was real quiet on signing day.
:L

Right, just like I was told that Okudah REALLY loved CS and Texas would end up with him too, even though he's not even considering them.

You Texas fans have quite the undeserved sense of arrogance when it comes to recruiting. It's funny how you say "it's early so where kids are leaning is a bit of a silly argument", then you turn around and talk about how Texas has a "good position" with these kids. Dobbins is all OSU, keep dreaming.