• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tipping point reached? Big 10 Commissioner Jim Delany now ready for Playoff expansion

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being the conference champ is a tough row to hoe. Some years, in some conferences, it will produce multiple loss teams...

Ranked by whom? UPI? AP? A committee? A computer algorithm? Some local Shriner's Club?

A 15 member committee. We trust juries of 12 with far more important decisions; I'll take my chances with a jury of 15 to pick some playoff teams. This isn't life or death; it's a sport.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in an 8 team playoff Oregon would not be left out

And can we possibly come up with a more fresh example than 5 loss Wisconsin?

It's been pointed out...idk a hundred times that that division consisted of 8-0 OSU and 6-2 PSU and they took 4-4 Wisky.

I've also added eliminating divisions to that AQ discussion which even with those two on probation would've left Wisconsin out of the title game that year.

If you took the “best 8” as determined by the polls/Committee, you get

Bama
Clemson
ND
OU
UGA
tOSU
Michigan
UCF

If you take the 5 auto-bids, unbeaten G5, and remaining at large, you get the same list with the exception of Washington replacing Michigan. Is that REALLY egregious?

People bringing up “well, we could have 4- and 5-loss teams getting in!!!” are referring to anomalies we would see every 10 years or so. I am opposed to making rules based on aberrations. I also prefer simple rules to complicated ones.

Win your P5 conference or go unbeaten and you are in. Otherwise, you are on the chopping block for at-large. Oh, and disband the Committee. Use the Massey Composite to determine at large teams and seeds.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bama
Clemson
ND
OU
UGA
tOSU
Michigan
UCF

If you take the 5 auto-bids, unbeaten G5, and remaining at large, you get the same list with the exception of Washington replacing Michigan. Is that REALLY egregious?

People bringing up “well, we could have 4- and 5-loss teams getting in!!!” are referring to anomalies we would see every 10 years or so. I am opposed to making rules based on aberrations. I also prefer simple rules to complicated ones.

Win your P5 conference or go unbeaten and you are in. Otherwise, you are on the chopping block for at-large. Oh, and disband the Committee. Use the Massey Composite to determine at large teams and seeds.
So if it is virtually the same, why have a need for auto-bids? If a team can’t finish the season in the top 8, then they really have no right to claim they should be in the playoffs.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if it is virtually the same, why have a need for auto-bids? If a team can’t finish the season in the top 8, then they really have no right to claim they should be in the playoffs.

Autobids GUARANTEE teams that THEY control their destiny. WRT “top 8”, WHOSE “top 8”? Last year the Committee left UCF out of their top 8. Why should we trust them to do better?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Autobids GUARANTEE teams that THEY control their destiny. WRT “top 8”, WHOSE “top 8”? Last year the Committee left UCF out of their top 8. Why should we trust them to do better?
Because UCF does trash scheduling. Why should we reward teams for playing garbage OOC and playing in a weak conference?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take the 8 top ranked teams and let them go at it.
Not a fan of this part bug. Let's use 2014 for example.

CFP Final Rankings on Dec 7, 2014
1. Alabama 12-1
2. Oregon 12-1
3. Florida State 13-0
4. Ohio State 12-1
5. Baylor 11-1 (OOC-SMU, Northwestern State, Buffalo)
6. TCU 11-1
7. Miss State 10-2 (OOC- Southern Miss, UAB, South Alabama, UT Martin)
8. Michigan State 10-2

I don't think teams like 2014 Baylor and Miss State should be rewarded with a playoff spot for that shit of an OOC they used to get that ranking.

That said, the ones below them had 3+ loss
I think the legitimate fear that Disney has is that expanding the playoffs would have a disastrous effect on the rest of their bowl lineup.
That is the best reason to do it right there.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why people are so aghast over the potential of a 3 loss playoff team as opposed to a bunch of people huddled in a room voting on who gets in. The latter is much more absurd.
You are going to lose your blue blood fan card for statements like this. Keeping "huddled in a room voting on who get in" keeps the riff raff out. We can't tolerate a way for riff raff to get in. They need to stay in their place.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because UCF does trash scheduling. Why should we reward teams for playing garbage OOC and playing in a weak conference?

Their schedule wasn’t trash, though. That’s been repeated with no supporting evidence. Colley Matrix and many other objective ranking systems had them in the top 5.

_rolltideroll_

4 out of 3 people have trouble with basic math...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they should talk to their conference champ about not getting blown out by a .500 team in consecutive years.
source.gif

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are going to lose your blue blood fan card for statements like this. Keeping "huddled in a room voting on who get in" keeps the riff raff out. We can't tolerate a way for riff raff to get in. They need to stay in their place.

Auburn and Tennessee have yet to make it, so the riff raft HAS been excluded.

:D

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bama
Clemson
ND
OU
UGA
tOSU
Michigan
UCF

You know I love me some Massey composite

Agreed accross the board diego

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lol noted

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s fun how fast OSU fans, the dumb ones, are ready to accept that they’re probably gonna shit the bed every year, so expanding the playoff is a good thing now.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s fun how fast OSU fans, the dumb ones, are ready to accept that they’re probably gonna shit the bed every year, so expanding the playoff is a good thing now.
It's funny how desperate you are to disparage people on here just because your program savior has failed and your team/conference is irrelevant to the CFP in general.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like it or not...the playoff will eventually expand for the exact same reason it exists in the first place...

250K_each.jpg

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are given a chance to compete.

It took 32 years but a 16 finally beat a #1 ly in basketball.

If the Sun Belt is so bad that they don't get a chance to compete,
then P5 teams should not be allowed to play them...right?

I don't have a problem with anyone playing FCS teams or Sun Belt Teams. They are certainly closer to each other than they are to elite P5's though.

There are 5 players on a basketball court. Indiana St played for an NCAA title with Larry Bird. Reincarnations of Dick Butkus, Peyton Manning, Fred Biletnikoff and Barry Sanders could all play for Troy and they are not winning the playoffs.