• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tipping point reached? Big 10 Commissioner Jim Delany now ready for Playoff expansion

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all extremely convenient given

But again

OSU

Three point loss

That's it.

Georgia 2018....

What the hell did LSU beat them by?

20?

So you're arguing what? That 2015 OSU should have made the 2018 playoffs? Because last I checked 2015 OSU and 2018 Georgia both were left out...in favor of teams that had a legitimate reason to go in ahead of them.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I just want to point out that the people who want AQ and then at the same time claim "it's all settled on the field" are 100% full of shit.

It's not settled on the field because you are giving people with the easiest schedules the easiest access, while excluding teams who play tougher schedules.

Why the hell should Alabama stay in the SEC under such a system? What benefit would be served for playing a tough conference? Why should the Big12 expand to add more teams? Why should any team ever play a quality OOC opponent?

Meanwhile, I saw this years season settled on the field.

I saw Alabama go undefeated and make the playoffs.
I saw Clemson go undefeated and make the playoffs.
I saw ND go undefeated and make the playoffs.
I saw Oklahoma drop 1 game, win the rematch and make the playoffs.

I saw Ohio St struggle and get blown out by a bad team.
I saw Georgia lose to Alabama in the SECCG in a good game.
Guffaw. You define a team’s entire season by cherry picking one game? What a fucking system that is lol.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guffaw. You define a team’s entire season by cherry picking one game? What a fucking system that is lol.

It's all relative to what other teams did. If other teams had gotten blown out by some shitty team, then all things would be equal.

Problem is, they didn't. So you sit your ass at home and watch the ones that did.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I just want to point out that the people who want AQ and then at the same time claim "it's all settled on the field" are 100% full of shit.

It's not settled on the field because you are giving people with the easiest schedules the easiest access, while excluding teams who play tougher schedules.

Why the hell should Alabama stay in the SEC under such a system? What benefit would be served for playing a tough conference? Why should the Big12 expand to add more teams? Why should any team ever play a quality OOC opponent?

Meanwhile, I saw this years season settled on the field.

I saw Alabama go undefeated and make the playoffs.
I saw Clemson go undefeated and make the playoffs.
I saw ND go undefeated and make the playoffs.
I saw Oklahoma drop 1 game, win the rematch and make the playoffs.

I saw Ohio St struggle and get blown out by a bad team.
I saw Georgia lose to Alabama in the SECCG in a good game.

Schedules mean nothing. You have to win your league to
get in.

Then you go against the other 9 league champs and the one that
doesn't lose is the NC.

It's pretty damn simple. Why rely on "another man's opinion" when it can be decided on the field of play.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schedules mean nothing. You have to win your league to
get in.

Then you go against the other 9 league champs and the one that
doesn't lose is the NC.

It's pretty damn simple. Why rely on "another man's opinion" when it can be decided on the field of play.

Any playoff proposal where the Sun Belt champ gets an autobid deserves to be mocked for what it is....

What sort of act of god would it take for the #1 seed to get upset by the Sun Belt "Champ" in your scenario...an outbreak of ebola in the top seeds campus? Plane Crash? Corky from Life goes on would have had a better shot at going 3 rounds with Mike Tyson.

Congrats on unlocking the "full retard" achievement though. I can only imagine the ratings bonanza your shitfest playoffs would be, ESPN would be foolish to not drop at least a billion on such a surefire winner.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any playoff proposal where the Sun Belt champ gets an autobid deserves to be mocked for what it is....

What sort of act of god would it take for the #1 seed to get upset by the Sun Belt "Champ" in your scenario...an outbreak of ebola in the top seeds campus? Plane Crash? Corky from Life goes on would have had a better shot at going 3 rounds with Mike Tyson.

Congrats on unlocking the "full retard" achievement though. I can only imagine the ratings bonanza your shitfest playoffs would be, ESPN would be foolish to not drop at least a billion on such a surefire winner.

They are given a chance to compete.

It took 32 years but a 16 finally beat a #1 ly in basketball.

If the Sun Belt is so bad that they don't get a chance to compete,
then P5 teams should not be allowed to play them...right?

carson

Death by inches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,018.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm willing to listen to a debate for an 8-team playoff, but I am not listening to this bullshit of a playoff consisting of conference champions. There's been some fucking weak conference champions in recent years. Champions that have a shoddy body of regular season work, but because of some weak division alignment, they make it into their conference title game. At the same time, I don't believe in leaving out teams with 1-loss, when that 1-loss is getting tripped up in the conference title game.

PSUTE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am admittedly an OU fan and I am admittedly no fan of most of the teams doing the most bitching about an expanded playoff. With that said, I'm all in favor of going to 8 teams if we throw away the farce of conference champions automatically getting into the playoff. A weak conference has a built in advantage with that approach. Maybe it is a yearly advantage or maybe it's only an occasional advantage but it makes no sense to reward a participation trophy to anyone. Take the 8 top ranked teams and let them go at it. If one conference has a big share of the field, then so be it. If Oklahoma doesn't make it as a conference champion because we are ranked below #8, then so be it. If none of the small fry make the playoff, too bad. The 8 top ranked teams would be a hoot to watch playing each other. And to placate the major bowls, rotate the initial four playoff games among them.

Being the conference champ is a tough row to hoe. Some years, in some conferences, it will produce multiple loss teams...

Ranked by whom? UPI? AP? A committee? A computer algorithm? Some local Shriner's Club?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being the conference champ is a tough row to hoe. Some years, in some conferences, it will produce multiple loss teams...

Ranked by whom? UPI? AP? A committee? A computer algorithm? Some local Shriner's Club?

I just don't understand why it's so preferable to vote on who gets in versus setting a clear path for how you get in. To me AQ is the only way to do that.

Clearly we are seeing a lack of consistent metrics applied as it is now.

Not sure why people are so aghast over the potential of a 3 loss playoff team as opposed to a bunch of people huddled in a room voting on who gets in. The latter is much more absurd.

carson

Death by inches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,018.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't understand why it's so preferable to vote on who gets in versus setting a clear path for how you get in. To me AQ is the only way to do that.

Clearly we are seeing a lack of consistent metrics applied as it is now.

Not sure why people are so aghast over the potential of a 3 loss playoff team as opposed to a bunch of people huddled in a room voting on who gets in. The latter is much more absurd.
Under and AQ system, a 5-loss Wisconsin team makes the playoff in 2012 while 12-1 Oregon is left out. Think about it.

PSUTE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under and AQ system, a 5-loss Wisconsin team makes the playoff in 2012 while 12-1 Oregon is left out. Think about it.
Conference champs of the P5 get in AQ. You realize that they play by a different set of rules, decided by them? 3 at large, decided by whom? Best G5 team also an AQ? Decided by whom?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not in an 8 team playoff Oregon would not be left out

And can we possibly come up with a more fresh example than 5 loss Wisconsin?

It's been pointed out...idk a hundred times that that division consisted of 8-0 OSU and 6-2 PSU and they took 4-4 Wisky.

I've also added eliminating divisions to that AQ discussion which even with those two on probation would've left Wisconsin out of the title game that year.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, here are three things that should be done in college football prior to any consideration of expanding the playoffs:

1) All Power 5 conference teams must schedule at least 10 Power 5 opponents every year... let each conference decide for themselves if those 10 games = 9+1 or 8+2.

2) A team must be a member of a conference in order to be playoff eligible (force Notre Dames hand).

3) All Power 5 conferences must eliminate divisions. Each team will have the option to annually protect a couple in-conference rivalry games with the remaining conference opponents rotated. The two best teams in the conference play each other in the conference championship game.

If the above three policies were mandatory, I sincerely believe college football would be significantly improved to the point of not needing to expand the playoffs beyond four.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all relative to what other teams did. If other teams had gotten blown out by some shitty team, then all things would be equal.

Problem is, they didn't. So you sit your ass at home and watch the ones that did.
Ah so stupid logic again I see. Ohio State has the best win in the country blowing out #4. By your logic, if other teams had blown out a top 5 team, then all things would be equal. Problem is, they didn’t. So Ohio State is the best team in the country.

Your logic lol.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in an 8 team playoff Oregon would not be left out

And can we possibly come up with a more fresh example than 5 loss Wisconsin?

It's been pointed out...idk a hundred times that that division consisted of 8-0 OSU and 6-2 PSU and they took 4-4 Wisky.

I've also added eliminating divisions to that AQ discussion which even with those two on probation would've left Wisconsin out of the title game that year.
No Wisconsin was a conference champ so that instantly makes them better than Oregon.

We had a three loss team as a conference champ this year, a four loss and a five loss team team playing for conference championships.