• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

TIME FOR MICHIGAN TO FACE FACTS

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mighty have fallen, and can't get up...

Don't want to seem like piling on.

It's taken years, but even the most ball-slurping Walverines out there are piling on their own bankrupt program - so us "non-Michigan Men" don't even have to waste our breath agreeing with scUM faithful.

And, it'd be good for everybody if the University rights its ship asap and gets back to competing in football rather than in coaching/administrative incompetence.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty funny that Michigan forced out Carr because he was too old at age 62 after a 9-4 season, and now they are praying for Les Miles, who is 60 years old and is likely going 8-5ish this year.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say no. Its pretty damned clear to be the best football talent pools are in the south. If I am a blue chip kid from say FL or GA why would I go to Michigan right now?

I agree. In the business I was in for a long time, we often looked at population shift studies, and how the pop is moving South and West.

However, young people are fickle, and the right person in a couple places, and it could be the current 'cool' thing again to go play at places like Michigan, Notre Dame, etc. Notre Dame is getting a little of that recently, so it is possible.

Y

Yapp14

I agree. In the business I was in for a long time, we often looked at population shift studies, and how the pop is moving South and West.

However, young people are fickle, and the right person in a couple places, and it could be the current 'cool' thing again to go play at places like Michigan, Notre Dame, etc. Notre Dame is getting a little of that recently, so it is possible.
I agree. Social patterns are cyclical so maybe that would work with the right person. Its not about the weather as it is more about exposure for the player and competing in big games.

If it were about the weather wouldn't Hawaii be a super power??

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, the Ole Miss thing fascinates me. How did all the top level talent that signed on their under current coach Freeze?

I dont think it can all be attributed to the SEC, because they've been signing players that could have gone anywhere in the SEC, yet they went to Miss. I'm sure being in the SEC was part of it, not the real reason.

Y

Yapp14

I mean, the Ole Miss thing fascinates me. How did all the top level talent that signed on their under current coach Freeze?

I dont think it can all be attributed to the SEC, because they've been signing players that could have gone anywhere in the SEC, yet they went to Miss. I'm sure being in the SEC was part of it, not the real reason.
Personally, I think top flight players choose a school for these reasons:

1) The coach
2) exposure
3)academics

and in that order

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say what you will about RR, but he brought in or at least was starting to bring in talent. Hoke went 11-2 with his kids.

I feel like if he had stayed they would have competed for a NC by now. RR brought a lot of baggage with him from WVA including lawsuits and then made things worse with his comments. He was never going to be embraced by the blue blood fans.

Rodriguez won 15 games in 3 years and his offense went out in a whimper before he was fired. I just didn't see, beyond Denard, that he had anything to really brag about. On defense it wasn't just coaching, though that would have helped, he just didn't seem to recruit defense very well. IIRC, even his recruiting classes were starting to dip. IMO, RR is built for a success in a system like the Big East. He hasn't done much in Arizona yet, but is in the middle of 3rd season so it isn't quite fair to wholly judge him, but he is 4-0 with Oregon, USC, and UCLA on the schedule for 3 of the next 4 games. So we shall see if this 4-0 team is legit, or just just a pretender (From what little I've seen, they don't look very impressive to me). To me, RR is an AMAZING OC, but I don't buy him as a Head Coach. I really liked the guy when he came, and was hopeful, but I just don't see why some still think he is a top tier coach.

Y

Yapp14

Rodriguez won 15 games in 3 years and his offense went out in a whimper before he was fired. I just didn't see, beyond Denard, that he had anything to really brag about. On defense it wasn't just coaching, though that would have helped, he just didn't seem to recruit defense very well. IIRC, even his recruiting classes were starting to dip. IMO, RR is built for a success in a system like the Big East. He hasn't done much in Arizona yet, but is in the middle of 3rd season so it isn't quite fair to wholly judge him, but he is 4-0 with Oregon, USC, and UCLA on the schedule for 3 of the next 4 games. So we shall see if this 4-0 team is legit, or just just a pretender (From what little I've seen, they don't look very impressive to me). To me, RR is an AMAZING OC, but I don't buy him as a Head Coach. I really liked the guy when he came, and was hopeful, but I just don't see why some still think he is a top tier coach.
His body of work clearly demonstrates a commitment to offense. His defenses at WV were usually pretty weak, same thing at Michigan and likely at AZ

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But didn't Miles turn down a job in ann arbor before they settled on Hoke? For some reason I thought Miles was already offered that job once.

Miles came out and said he was never offered the job before Hoke got canned. I can't remember who said that Miles had agreed tentatively to take the job before Rich Rod but the NC game threw a wrench into those plans.

I think Miles would be the perfect fit. At 61 he isn't going to be a long term answer but he will get the program turned around quickly and help get it rebuilt before looking to find a new coach.

A lot of the young up and comers sound good but UofM can't wait to let someone else learn on the job at a BCS school.

Harbaughs, either John or Jim would be the exception but I think they stay in the NFL.

Y

Yapp14

Miles came out and said he was never offered the job before Hoke got canned. I can't remember who said that Miles had agreed tentatively to take the job before Rich Rod but the NC game threw a wrench into those plans.

I think Miles would be the perfect fit. At 61 he isn't going to be a long term answer but he will get the program turned around quickly and help get it rebuilt before looking to find a new coach.

A lot of the young up and comers sound good but UofM can't wait to let someone else learn on the job at a BCS school.

Harbaughs, either John or Jim would be the exception but I think they stay in the NFL.
A fact is that Lloyd Carr contacted RR about the opening when he stepped down

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dunno. I think they both might be getting fed up with the so called professionals.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty funny that Michigan forced out Carr because he was too old at age 62 after a 9-4 season, and now they are praying for Les Miles, who is 60 years old and is likely going 8-5ish this year.

I was under the impression that Carr wanted out after the 2005 season. From what I've heard, he knew he had a good team to leave for the next coach and was pretty much tired of the "in's and out's" of college coaching. Those at the top didn't want him to leave just yet. So he stayed for another 2 seasons to finish out that class, and really (recruiting wise) was phoning it in (I don't know if this can be backed up by recruiting ranking though). I honestly think he was completely burned out his last year. I think App St and Oregon losses kinda of woke him up, and they had a really good season in their B1G play, but the damage in recruiting had been done. Then they brought in RR so that any other decently talented younger players would take leave the program due to the new system. That was the end of Michigan.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His body of work clearly demonstrates a commitment to offense. His defenses at WV were usually pretty weak, same thing at Michigan and likely at AZ

I'm not sure why you would say if RR had stayed at Michigan that "they would have competed for a NC by now." Why do you think that?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A fact is that Lloyd Carr contacted RR about the opening when he stepped down

Their was bad blood between Miles and Carr over a recruit. I mentioned in other post that UofM has factions and the Lloyd faction had a lot of juice. I don't think thats the case anymore since he spent some of his clout going to bat for Brady Hoke.

Desmond Howard even went as far to critisize Martin for forming a search committee and then never asking for any input from them. Rich Rod then proceeded to burn bridges and alginate damn near everyone at UofM then. Again can't do that to the Michigan Mafia.

As for Brandon I think UofM allows him to resign at the end of the year to save face. He has been in the press far to much for an AD and really botched Morris concussion issue as much as Hoke did. He will be allowed to resign due to his status as a donor and alum.

Hoke's buyout drops to 2 million after Jan 01. So I think he rides this bullshit out and owns the record for the season.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno. I think they both might be getting fed up with the so called professionals.

I sure hope so. Latest report has the 49ers locker room in disarray.

Y

Yapp14

I'm not sure why you would say if RR had stayed at Michigan that "they would have competed for a NC by now." Why do you think that?
He was bringing in talent. It would have taken at least 5 years but I do believe he would have put them back into the BCS picture

Y

Yapp14

Their was bad blood between Miles and Carr over a recruit. I mentioned in other post that UofM has factions and the Lloyd faction had a lot of juice. I don't think thats the case anymore since he spent some of his clout going to bat for Brady Hoke.

Desmond Howard even went as far to critisize Martin for forming a search committee and then never asking for any input from them. Rich Rod then proceeded to burn bridges and alginate damn near everyone at UofM then. Again can't do that to the Michigan Mafia.

As for Brandon I think UofM allows him to resign at the end of the year to save face. He has been in the press far to much for an AD and really botched Morris concussion issue as much as Hoke did. He will be allowed to resign due to his status as a donor and alum.

Hoke's buyout drops to 2 million after Jan 01. So I think he rides this bullshit out and owns the record for the season.
I agree

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their was bad blood between Miles and Carr over a recruit.

But wasn't it Carr that initially reached out to Les in the first place?

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure hope so. Latest report has the 49ers locker room in disarray.

Jim Harbough, who I admit I don't know personally so this could be wrong, comes across as one of the most arrogant people in the history of people. So while I could easily see him being tired of dealing with professional players, I don't think he is done with the NFL until he gets at least one Superbowl ring to compare to his arms h rival Pete Carroll and his own brother. I could see him going back to college after that, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to let his own brother be better at something than him. And definitely not someday he seemingly hates as much as Carroll.