• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time for Boise St to put its money where it mouth is

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as that low end school is not the ULM Warhawks from Monroe, LA. Because Big, Bad, Bama's pussy is still sore from that little debacle :nod:

We play them this year....

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too, lots of uncertainty right now on the Tide at many key positions. You guys have a good shot at an upset and caught them at a good time.:nod:

I don't think man. Our D-line is going to be all new. Plus have you seen our secondary these last two years. We will make your rook QB look like Marino.

Plus don't you guys have a ton of starters back?

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think man. Our D-line is going to be all new. Plus have you seen our secondary these last two years. We will make your rook QB look like Marino.

Plus don't you guys have a ton of starters back?

WE lost lots of key positions though. Secondary will be a weak spot again this year looks like with some spring injuries and that was a big concern last year. Maybe we can start some freshmen, but they will need games to season some. Gonna be a good game to start the year and whatever happens, happens.

QB is a big ? right now. If we can run the ball, we might just open holes for Yeldon and Henry and let them burn you for all they can get. If you can get Henry down, you will be doing what many including Oklahoma had a hard time doing.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WE lost lots of key positions though. Secondary will be a weak spot again this year looks like with some spring injuries and that was a big concern last year. Maybe we can start some freshmen, but they will need games to season some. Gonna be a good game to start the year and whatever happens, happens.

QB is a big ? right now. If we can run the ball, we might just open holes for Yeldon and Henry and let them burn you for all they can get. If you can get Henry down, you will be doing what many including Oklahoma had a hard time doing.

We have decent linebackers with a bunch of experience. Unfortunately they haven't seen a running offense like bama's. That will be a wake up call.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have decent linebackers with a bunch of experience. Unfortunately they haven't seen a running offense like bama's. That will be a wake up call.

I just hope we can block this year, that was a weak spot last year and why Bama was not as strong offensively last season. No run blocking and if the spring game is any indication, we might be in trouble again. I am hoping its a resurgence of the defensive line that made the offensive line look bad in the spring game, but who knows:noidea:

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Boise fan would I love to see Alabama who I consider to be the top program in the country (especially these days) on the Blue turf? Hell yes I would. No matter what the result, that would be amazing. It will never happen in a million years for the multitude of reasons stated from both sides on this thread.

And to be truthful the timing would not seem to be ideal for Boise. I watch a ton of CFB because it is the best sport on the planet hands down and I try as a fan to set my biases aside when I evaluate my team and others. I will say this. Many of those Boise teams in recent seasons were damn, damn good football teams. I don't care who the competition was, they were loaded at the skill positions and in the secondary and they physically beat the shit out of their opponents in the trenches on both sides of the ball to the point where it was pretty much demoralizing, particualrly in the Kellen Moore years ('08 - '11). What they were able to do in having top 5 and 10 finishes and winning multiple BCS games considering the lack of resources, finances, etc. was nothing short of incredible.

But if we want to be truthful about it those days are gone for now and we may never see the likes of them again, not that kind of level of success from such a small school. Just look at last year as an example. I'm sorry, but that was not a good football team. Went to Washington who barely finished ranked last year and got the absolute shit kicked out of them by 32. Lost to a six loss Oregon State team who stumbled late in the year by 15 in the bowl game and also to a five loss BYU team in Provo by about the same margin. Boise is 1 and 2 against San Diego State since joining the MWC. One and two! They've won one MWC title since joining the conference three years ago and even that crown was shared.

So I guess for me it's careful what you wish for. Whether or not in the next couple or few seasons we played a world class team like Bama on the Blue or on the planet of Mars, I'm not positive I'd like our chances to even be competitive much less win. Let's not forget that three out of the last five times a coach grabbed that crystal ball and hoisted it over his head his name was Nick Saban.

So now Petersen's left and I understand. It was time. I was so thankful to have him for as long as we did, one hell of a coach. Now we have Harsin and I have faith that he can win. He's recruiting pretty aggressively in his short time there and is doing some nice things with landing guys like a four star QB in Brett Rypien and a safety in Dylan Sumner-Gardner who's already on campus, the first top 100 player Boise has landed in their school's history. But look at a team like Bama. Hell, half of their roster is comprised of top 100 guys. There's a bit of a talent gap there. You can only coach a kid up so much and even then their coaching is top notch too, probably the best in the nation actually. They develop their players as well. So again when you add up all the factors to me and to Boise fans it truly is careful what you wish for. That's my opinion on the matter anyway, as unbiased as I can possibly try to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Berkeley_Blues

Retired Experience Junkie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Boise fan would I love to see Alabama who I consider to be the top program in the country (especially these days) on the Blue turf? Hell yes I would. No matter what the result, that would be amazing. It will never happen in a million years for the multitude of reasons stated from both sides on this thread.

And to be truthful the timing would not seem to be ideal for Boise. I watch a ton of CFB because it is the best sport on the planet hands down and I try as a fan to set my biases aside when I evaluate my team and others. I will say this. Many of those Boise teams in recent seasons were damn, damn good football teams. I don't care who the competition was, they were loaded at the skill positions and in the secondary and they physically beat the shit out of their opponents in the trenches on both sides of the ball to the point where it was pretty much demoralizing, particualrly in the Kellen Moore years ('08 - '11). What they were able to do in having top 5 and 10 finishes and winning multiple BCS games considering the lack of resources, finances, etc. was nothing short of incredible.

But if we want to be truthful about it those days are gone for now and we may never see the likes of them again, not that kind of level of success from such a small school. Just look at last year as an example. I'm sorry, but that was not a good football team. Went to Washington who barely finished ranked last year and got the absolute shit kicked out of them by 32. Lost to a six loss Oregon State team who stumbled late in the year by 15 in the bowl game and also to a five loss BYU team in Provo by about the same margin. Boise is 1 and 2 against San Diego State since joining the MWC. One and two! They've won one MWC title since joining the conference three years ago and even that crown was shared.

So I guess for me it's careful what you wish for. Whether or not in the next couple or few seasons we played a world class team like Bama on the Blue or on the planet of Mars, I'm not positive I'd like our chances to even be competitive much less win. Let's not forget that three out of the last five times a coach grabbed that crystal ball and hoisted it over his head his name was Nick Saban.

So now Petersen's left and I understand. It was time. I was so thankful to have him for as long as we did, one hell of a coach. Now we have Harsin and I have faith that he can win. He's recruiting pretty aggressively in his short time there and is doing some nice things with landing guys like a four star QB in Brett Rypien and a safety in Dylan Sumner-Gardner who's already on campus, the first top 100 player Boise has landed in their school's history. But look at a team like Bama. Hell, half of their roster is comprised of top 100 guys. There's a bit of a talent gap there. You can only coach a kid up so much and even then their coaching is top notch too, probably the best in the nation actually. They develop their players as well. So again when you add up all the factors to me and to Boise fans it truly is careful what you wish for. That's my opinion on the matter anyway, as unbiased as I can possibly try to be.

This a pretty balanced analysis, if not a little bit too negative. Boise State can and will play with anyone. Would love to see a home and home with Alabama and actually it not would surprise me, if it transpired at some point. A lot of people wouldn't mind seeing it go down.

You are right Boise State was not anywhere close to our platinum standards last year. I love Petersen but I put some of it on him. Great coach but it was time for us and for him too. Harsin is already a better recruiter than Pete.

Really glad we landed Harsin. Expecting big things. Boise State has so much momentum in so many areas. They've successfully branded and are positioned to take things to another level. Just like Gonzaga in Hoops -- Boise State will have an off year or two -- but will bounce back punching. The Broncos have done it at every level since 1932. It will continue :suds:

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B4L and BBlues summed things up well.

None of us are stupid. Bama didn't get where they are by having a bad program, they have one of the best anywhere. And none of us Boise fans are so delusional to think that ours is superior.

But that is precisely the point. Here we have such a fine team that plays fully 1/4 of its schedule against totally inferior competition, teams that probably not even their own coaches think have an honest chance against them. And if you add the bad SEC teams they play, that number is even higher. They point out that Boise doesn't play as tough a schedule, but don't realize that for Boise to step up, someone has to be willing to play them, you know, fairly. Nope, Alabama plays a set conference schedule, one semi-decent team, and then a parade of patty cakes, year after year.

This cowardly action not only hurts the sport, but gets in the way of teams, like Boise, that find themselves today in the same position that the Tide was in once. I guess that our friends here forget that they were once the subjects of disdain and teams refused to play them. And God, does it irritate them that we Boise fans remind them of it! Shoe pinches on the other foot, doesn't it?

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B4L and BBlues summed things up well.

None of us are stupid. Bama didn't get where they are by having a bad program, they have one of the best anywhere. And none of us Boise fans are so delusional to think that ours is superior.

But that is precisely the point. Here we have such a fine team that plays fully 1/4 of its schedule against totally inferior competition, teams that probably not even their own coaches think have an honest chance against them. And if you add the bad SEC teams they play, that number is even higher. They point out that Boise doesn't play as tough a schedule, but don't realize that for Boise to step up, someone has to be willing to play them, you know, fairly. Nope, Alabama plays a set conference schedule, one semi-decent team, and then a parade of patty cakes, year after year.

This cowardly action not only hurts the sport, but gets in the way of teams, like Boise, that find themselves today in the same position that the Tide was in once. I guess that our friends here forget that they were once the subjects of disdain and teams refused to play them. And God, does it irritate them that we Boise fans remind them of it! Shoe pinches on the other foot, doesn't it?

Bill Battle says he has an open spot. Dont see Boise beating the doors down to try and get that open spot. Yeah you have Washington and Virginia already on the docket but whats one more AQ, since you clearly wont play another all year unless you make a bowl game. Maybe for once you will get to see what playing in an AQ conference is really like, well, almost anyways. Playing three AQ teams is nothing compared to what the AQ teams do in conference.So you play three AQ's and the rest cupcakes from your conference .

As for being the subjects of disdain, i dont think any elite teams feel like thats how they had to go about it or how teams felt about them. You are seeing it now because we as fans have to deal with Boise's constant whining about RESPECT and deserving a seat at the table. And all this is being done without actually playing the same level of competition week in and out that AQ teams do. See, we know that Boise is a good team, for a non-AQ team and we get they want respect, but all things in due time and you have not really earned it yet nor will you until you play in an AQ conference and beat teams like Oregon, Washington, Alabama, USC on top of your normal AQ schedule in conference. Much harder to do that week in and out than to play maybe one or two games a year and a bunch of lower tier teams in conference that AQ's get made fun of for playing at all. Good things come to those who have earned it and wait.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, we know that Boise is a good team, for a non-AQ team and we get they want respect, but all things in due time and you have not really earned it yet nor will you until you play in an AQ conference and beat teams like Oregon, Washington, Alabama, USC on top of your normal AQ schedule in conference. Much harder to do that week in and out than to play maybe one or two games a year and a bunch of lower tier teams in conference that AQ's get made fun of for playing at all. Good things come to those who have earned it and wait.

God, are you guys arrogant bastards. Like I said, get your cowardly asses to Boise, or if that is too far below you, try Norman, Eugene, LA, Columbus, or hell, go to East Lansing and play Sparty instead of cancelling the game, you fat chickens.

Meanwhile, we beat Oregon in Eugene, Georgia in Atlanta, and led MSU clear into the 4th quarter in E. Lansing. Alabama hasn't done anything like that out of conference, well, since they went to Norman and had their asses handed to them. But I get it.

"play someone tough, Boise, just not us, and HELL no, we ain't coming to Boise."
Got it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God, are you guys arrogant bastards. Like I said, get your cowardly asses to Boise, or if that is too far below you, try Norman, Eugene, LA, Columbus, or hell, go to East Lansing and play Sparty instead of cancelling the game, you fat chickens.

Meanwhile, we beat Oregon in Eugene, Georgia in Atlanta, and led MSU clear into the 4th quarter in E. Lansing. Alabama hasn't done anything like that out of conference, well, since they went to Norman and had their asses handed to them. But I get it.

"play someone tough, Boise, just not us, and HELL no, we ain't coming to Boise."
Got it.

Boise has nothing to offer for people to come play there. AT ALL. They can't even sell out a 37k stadium, much less pay teams decent amounts of money to come play there.

But then Boise turns around and wants a million or more for the time when they travel to the other teams.

Nobody is scared of any team. It comes down to AD and money/deals. And Boise St wants $30 for a hamburger and can't admit it.

For the record, Alabama has nothing to prove nor needs to prove anything. Your team is the one that makes claims about can't get games and all that other bullshit that has been proven to be wrong.