• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it time for the bigger conferences to walk away from the NCAA?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny i seem to remember SC having titles stripped along with the death penalty :think:

Death penalty? So they weren't allowed to play football (i.e. SMU)?

Again, "officially" they are gone, but ask any college football fan who watched those games, "Who won?" The same thing goes for who won the ACC title in 2009. Just about anyone (including fans) following that season are going to say Georgia Tech. Technically they didn't win it because it was stripped, but that doesn't matter. People own t-shirts, hats, and everything else that says their team won.

If they really wanted to hurt those teams, they would have instituted the "death penalty" like you said above, but the NCAA knows that they will never do that again. They acted like they were going to do it to Penn St, but there is WAY too much money involved to hold a team under water till they die. Act tough, take away something that most people will forget about, and force them to play with a few less scholarships for a few years. Many times dishing out penalties for things that they really can't prove, while turning away from teams that created a WHOLE lot of smoke IMO (i.e. Johnny Football money, Cam Newton, etc.)

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Death penalty? So they weren't allowed to play football (i.e. SMU)?

Again, "officially" they are gone, but ask any college football fan who watched those games, "Who won?" The same thing goes for who won the ACC title in 2009. Just about anyone (including fans) following that season are going to say Georgia Tech. Technically they didn't win it because it was stripped, but that doesn't matter. People own t-shirts, hats, and everything else that says their team won.

If they really wanted to hurt those teams, they would have instituted the "death penalty" like you said above, but the NCAA knows that they will never do that again. They acted like they were going to do it to Penn St, but there is WAY too much money involved to hold a team under water till they die. Act tough, take away something that most people will forget about, and force them to play with a few less scholarships for a few years. Many times dishing out penalties for things that they really can't prove, while turning away from teams that created a WHOLE lot of smoke IMO (i.e. Johnny Football money, Cam Newton, etc.)
they weren't allowed to play bowl games but it doesn't matter now we're getting rid of rules en sech show me the money :plotting: U$C shall rise

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to enrolled in college to play college football. There is no need to create an NFL minor league and it would cause way more problems than it would solve. If a kid doesn't want to play college football he doesn't have to and colleges don't need to be in the business of "hiring" mercenaries to play football for them.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to enrolled in college to play college football. There is no need to create an NFL minor league and it would cause way more problems than it would solve. If a kid doesn't want to play college football he doesn't have to and colleges don't need to be in the business of "hiring" mercenaries to play football for them.
I agree I don't want to see an NFL farm system either. Why water down the best sport we have to create another overhyped junk league based solely on money. While money is involved in CFB as far as revenue for the schools. It is far from being solely based on money. A lot of these kids will never even see the NFL and are playing for their education and the love of the sport. This is one of many factors that make CFB the best sport. Kim not seeing the point in watering it down and punishing the kids that play for scholarships and a passion for the sport. Making college football about the money and dismissing the NCAA destroys the game on several levels.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money being the primary focus is what gets ESPN exclusive deals with only one conference.

Money being the primary focus is what gets some conferences cannibalized, ruining decades of tradition.

The NCAA, even in it's diluted state, is the only thing keeping amateur athletics from becoming professional athletics.

Slippery slope here. You've been warned. We have the NFL. We don't need another.
There's nothing amateur about DIV1 CFB.

Coaches make millions, Athletic directors do, athletic departments do, billion dollar stadiums built... and even the principals themselves [players] are using it to attempt to get to a higher paying gig [NFL, CFL, etc] ...only a laughable idiot would call that situation "amateur."

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh no no no.. you see.. it's amateur... because... because... oh because we don't want to pay the principals... that's it.
Not like the word "Student Athlete" wasn't originally invented to keep the NCAA from paying for workers comp for a kid who got crippled on the football field.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say the N.aturalGas and C.oal A.malgamation of A.merica was formed by all the petroleum and mining companies in America. And they stated, through their NCAA, that all graduates with petroleum engineering degrees had to enroll in an internship program at any company they chose. This internship program would last two years and would pay just enough to eat and live in a small studio apartment.

Now, an enterprising Petroleum Engineering recent-grad decides to try to get a well-paying job with a new engineering firm that just established. The NCAA steps in to try to block this from happening stating that the new firm must join the NCAA and the new grad must take a low-paying internship.

This NCAA would be sued as a monopoly and wouldn't last a damned day. It's ridiculous on its face.

This isn't a weekend softball league where it's important that payed ringers don't ruin the league... THAT is amateur.

CFB is a BILLION dollar industry.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodbye collegiate athletics.

When money is the end-all/be-all, we've failed. It's the junior NFL now. Congrats. :L
While I agree with you, it already is the end-all/be-all. That is what conference realignment is all about It damn sure wasn't about the player or the quality of football that came with the realignment.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SMU will rise up again and strike Baylor and the rest down.

1smu.jpg