• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tigers, Rajai Davis Agree To Two-Year Deal

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9:29am: Davis' contract is a straight two-year deal that doesn't contain any type of option, tweets Nicholson-Smith.
9:02am: Davis' two-year deal is in the $9-10MM range, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (on Twitter). That number continues a surprising increase in the going rate for a fourth outfielder, as Nate McLouth recently signed for $10.75MM over two years with the Nationals.
8:40am: The Tigers have agreed to a two-year deal with outfielder Rajai Davis, according to Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.ca. Davis is represented by Relativity Sports (formerly known as SFX).
Davis, 33, hasn't played in an everyday role for the Blue Jays over the last three seasons, but has seen enough action to rack up nearly 1,200 plate appearances, recording a .252/.299/.369 slash line. The speedster has also added 125 stolen bases over that period. That batting line may not be particularly impressive, but his .297/.363/.455 line against left-handed pitchers dating back to 2011 certainly is. Davis could make sense in a platoon capacity with Andy Dirks and could fall into a fourth outfielder role should the Tigers land a big fish like Shin-Soo Choo.
Davis will join an outfield group that currently consists of Dirks, Austin Jackson and Torii Hunter. Though he'struggled mightily in his most recent large chunks of center field work (2010-11), Davis has more than 3200 career innings in center, making him a capable short-term option there should Jackson hit the disabled list. Per Fangraphs, only Jacoby Ellsbury added more value on the basepaths than Davis did in 2013.
Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports first reported that the two sides were close to a deal this morning (on Twitter). Nicholson-Smith reported last night that the Tigers were considered the front-runners.

MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Wonder if this takes them out of the Choo race? Either way, nice signing. Adds some speed and stolen base threat to their lineup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Inflation or not, I can't imagine a market in which a bench player is worth ten times the money of an entry level top prospect.

Sure, entry level guys should be less expensive, but only in baseball is the gap so massive.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every step away from slow pitch softball is a step in the right direction, IMO. If Davis is a platoon/4thOF/pinch runner I like the move. If he's the starting left fielder, atleast he's fast. I assume we're out on the Choo sweepstakes, which disappoints me. But you never know.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn I hate to see him go. Guy can outright run. That is a good deal for him

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
inflation? or desparation?

I am talking about all MLB contracts this season before tigers fans start screaming...my bad, no intent

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Platoon bat signing to me. Seems like an awful lot to give to a bench player/platoon bat, but whatever I guess.

You are likely right, but I think that Davis started hitting RHP pretty well the last part of this past season. If he could do that consistently, he could be a pretty good player.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The FA market for OF is slim to none right now. Detroit can't afford Choo's demands and the next best would be??????

Nelson Cruz maybe but he was tendered and Detroit needs it's first round pick, badly.

Raul Ibanez?

The added money teams got from the MLB network was like candy to kids and drove prices up. Davis was the best guy left that would platoon, be fairly cheap, take a 2 year deal, and get the Tigers to be a more athletic team that is good defensively.

Detroit has very little in the way of trade chips so trying to make a deal would be tough, thats why they need their draft pick!

Detroit now has some speed throughout their lineup and that changes their one dimensional offense they have had for years.

Most Tiger fans would have loved to have signed Choo but not at 17+ million a year for 7-8 years. These huge long deals are looking more like nooses!

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The FA market for OF is slim to none right now. Detroit can't afford Choo's demands and the next best would be??????

Nelson Cruz maybe but he was tendered and Detroit needs it's first round pick, badly.

Raul Ibanez?

The added money teams got from the MLB network was like candy to kids and drove prices up. Davis was the best guy left that would platoon, be fairly cheap, take a 2 year deal, and get the Tigers to be a more athletic team that is good defensively.

Detroit has very little in the way of trade chips so trying to make a deal would be tough, thats why they need their draft pick!

Detroit now has some speed throughout their lineup and that changes their one dimensional offense they have had for years.

Most Tiger fans would have loved to have signed Choo but not at 17+ million a year for 7-8 years. These huge long deals are looking more like nooses!

Another good thing here.

The Tigers can now move Jackson out of the leafoff spot. This will net them more runs scored in the process, as Davis does not strike out nearly as much as Jackson.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another good thing here.

The Tigers can now move Jackson out of the leafoff spot. This will net them more runs scored in the process, as Davis does not strike out nearly as much as Jackson.

This was already done with Kinsler. You can nitpick though and argue Davis should leadoff to start the game against LHP.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was already done with Kinsler. You can nitpick though and argue Davis should leadoff to start the game against LHP.

I actually kind of forgot about him.......

DOH!!!

Still, when thinking of Davis & Kinsler, I think Davis is much more of a classic leadoff guy. That said, Kinsler gets on base more than Davis. Still, with Fielder gone, Kinsler can now move down, and hopefully provide better lineup protection for Cabrera.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davis gives Ausmus another option. With his low OBP I would guess it's Kinsler #1. Davis provides Detroit with a lot of options….

Pinch runner
Defensive replacement
CF Option
Platoon OF

ANy news on Infante?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davis gives Ausmus another option. With his low OBP I would guess it's Kinsler #1. Davis provides Detroit with a lot of options….

Pinch runner
Defensive replacement
CF Option
Platoon OF

ANy news on Infante?

He is now asking for $ 8 mil per year, and wants multiple years. Only the Royals & Yankees seem to at least be interested at the moment.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players seem to have the power right now.

26 for 5 maybe but I see the Yankees overpaying as their options are running out.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team just got a 25 mil raise in TV revenue so teams are willing to spend more:suds::suds: