1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on Refurbished Laptops

Discussion in 'Tech Forum' started by redseat, Sep 6, 2018.

1. night

night Undocumented PhD

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

If there is even a 0.01% chance someone used it to masturbate I don't want it. Pass.

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan Los Angeles Lakers Fan Supporting Member Level 1

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,477

No they aren't and here is why.

I can do down to Staples or Best Buy and buy a new laptop for as little as $300. And quite frankly that was for one with the ten key pad built in. I used my new one for several years and upgraded to a better one. The new One I have now has a touch screen ability, along with a cloud and note book capability. In short I can flip the screen from closed to the other side of the back - I paid 1000 for that - I took my old one - the pastor of the church paid me to have the hard drive re-formatted so that I could release it to her and she is still using it. I couldn't release it because I had personal information from companies that I audited and even though you delete the information, it remains on your computer until the computer writes over it. I couldn't take a chance with any one discovering information like social security numbers of 100 people that I accidently left on a pdf file that I had deleted, thinking it was safe.

I have been using laptops since the middle of the 90's and I always start with a brand new computer each time - then I have the current technology on it and programs and it lasts me a few years. Now you most likely don't use yours for a living like I do - I have mine on and using it 12 to 15 hours six days a week. My computers take one insane beating

3. True Lakers Fan

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,477

I spent $300 for a brand new one - Not likely to have a problem for much longer

4. True Lakers Fan

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,477

I put a solid state drive on my new computer a few months ago when the old one crashed, but the computer was only a year old - Computer starts up quickly every time no matter how much crap I have on it

• Like Like x 1
  5. redseat

redseat Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 943

welp come on down to the South Shore and pick one out for me :)

6. True Lakers Fan

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,477

I will find some and send you the links bro, But I saw some last week at Staples even though I normally go for a higher end

7. True Lakers Fan

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,477

8. LyquidMetal

LyquidMetal Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

I buy refurbished from dell authorized off of ebay.
    Depends on your needs.
    Right now I have a Dell Precision M6800 laptop.
    i7-4910mq cpu
    32 gigs of ram(on a trade with a techie friend) originally came with 8 gigs
    500 gig m.2 sata hd
    430 delivered.
    And is lightning fast.
    I buy precisions because they are built better and hardier. This thing is a brick. 6 and a half pounds.

Yes it's still a used comp, but it has better specs than crap off the shelf. At least as far as I am concerned. And 400 bucks every coupla years for a high end business machine is fine with me.

9. Old Lion

Old Lion Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Be careful with Dell. They are allowing what many consider Spyware/Malware to be installed. They have some deal with Rivet technology where they install Smartbyte drivers and software. Supposedly it is a media bandwidth manager. What it really does is steal at least half of your internet connection and does who knows what with it. Media plays slower in my opinion and your internet runs at half speed or worse. Many virus cleaners like spybot and malwarebytes pick it up as a virus or malware. As soon as it is removed everything goes back to normal.

10. LyquidMetal

LyquidMetal Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

pppfffttttt!!! That's why when I get one I do a reinstall and watch what goes on.