• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on Eric Ebron.........

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BUT, the Lions still have an opportunity to solve long term things in 2015, right?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm...the addition of Tate alone doesnt make the offense unstoppable. Stafford is going to find the mismatches and some could argue that on some cases, Ebron will present a much bigger one than Tate.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? How do you know that gvs? A guess? Ahahahahaha

No. I know that a defensive player or an offensive tackle being picked at ten would give the lions a much better chance. Aha.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think Ebron will be limited in his opportunities. I see it much different. If teams will be so concerned about CJ, Tate and Bush (and whoever else), that creates more opportunities for Ebron. If the Lions didnt have Tate and Bush, Ebron's opportunities go down if you ask me.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm...the addition of Tate alone doesnt make the offense unstoppable. Stafford is going to find the mismatches and some could argue that on some cases, Ebron will present a much bigger one than Tate.

Agree. But stafford playing like the 2011 stafford combined with the addition of tate will make the lions offense unstoppable. And as I have said repeatedly during the offseason (I know you have as well), stafford will be elite and soon. Adding ebron wont make a difference to the offense, period. If stafford sucks, ebron will be rendered useless. And if stafford is great like I think he will be than it wont matter that they drafted ebron and they should have addressed the defense. A great QB makes a TE. A great TE does not make a great QB or offense.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theres a difference when talking about how many times a player will be targeted Trustme. Some teams have no choice but to target their #1 and #2 guys a lot because thats all they have. In the Lions case, they should target CJ a ton because nobody cancover him. With Tate, you target him when the odds favor him because he is he's good but not elite. He "is" technically, the Lions #2 option because that is what he was brought in to do but I dont see a situation where Ebron cant take some of that away in some games. In fact, I believe or TEs were a big part of the game plan Monday and the Lions wanted to attack the Giants that way but it ended up being a little different.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ebron can be as good as Julius Thomas.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you're right gvs. Maybe they would've been better. I dont have that answer.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im just not sure how you think Ebron doesnt make a difference when he's on the field.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey its great that the lions have three big, athletic tight ends. But because they chose to add another one in the first round, mind you they will need to continue putting up 30 ppg against good offense. Fortunately for lions fans, as long as they can keep the penalties and turnovers down they should be able to do just that and finish 9-7. Unfortunately the back end of that defense will collapse against good offense and teams like the saints will be able to outscore them.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im just not sure how you think Ebron doesnt make a difference when he's on the field.

He should, eventually. As others said, it will be difficult with so many other targets with more experience. I just dont see the value of taking a TE at ten when the lions are still trying to build their team. They were definitely not in the position to be acquiring a luxury player at ten and thats exactly what they did. As lions fans, we have seen this oh so often. Best, leshoure, broyles, young, and now ebron. Imagine if the lions had focused more on the defensive side of the ball with those picks? Granted, they could have drafted four defensive busts as well, but by god they had to trade up for two of them as well.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can definitely respect what you're saying gvs. I honestly think the Lions got kind of screwed during the draft with all those trades but I do think they had Ebron rated very high considering what they wanted to do on offense.

I cant say that I'm completely on board with the pick but I'm ok with what I think is being done here. I believe the #1 goal was to get Stafford up to par and make sure they had what they needed for him to succeed in this thing. At the same time, they wanted to add a few peices to the defense and go into 2015 prepared to get the defense back together.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can definitely respect what you're saying gvs. I honestly think the Lions got kind of screwed during the draft with all those trades but I do think they had Ebron rated very high considering what they wanted to do on offense.

I cant say that I'm completely on board with the pick but I'm ok with what I think is being done here. I believe the #1 goal was to get Stafford up to par and make sure they had what they needed for him to succeed in this thing. At the same time, they wanted to add a few peices to the defense and go into 2015 prepared to get the defense back together.

Yes we shall see, it would be great if ebron was able to supply adequate offense this year. The lions are definitely mismatch nightmares for all opposing defenses but that all hinges upon staffords success.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound:

Oh fuck man, some people here (ok, one guy, at least) are fucking goddamn cartoon characters.

"I don't care what nerds say..."

Who the fuck still uses the term "nerd" in a derogatory context in everyday speak? Most of us have grown up and matured since we were 16- we realize that being a meatheaded bully probably won't get us far in life. Others? Ehh, not so much, apparently.

I think that kind of statement says a whole lot right there...

Revenge of the Nerds was on cable last night. I think we all know someone who hasn't changed a bit since junior year of high school and who clearly wants to turn the clock back. Those people all have something in common - nothing to live for today.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tpaulus_2 said:
that's why the draft is such a crap-shoot. .

Wait a second there. I stated this months ago. How do you get away with it and I didn't ?

Micro beat the living shine-ola out of me for that comment.

Don't believe me.... Look at Micro's AVI, real close.
you see that person on the pavement being STOMPED..... That's me... and Micro is doing the stomping.

WORD................. story-time :pound:

not giving you grief Tpaul, just sayin' :suds:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Microwahevo said:
77f58_ORIG-0000_riiiight.gif

I thought she might be scared of Smitty telling her how much of "This Jim" she'd be getting. but it was appropriate in the other context it was meant for too.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BUT, the Lions still have an opportunity to solve long term things in 2015, right?

I would really hope they don't have a top 10 pick next year again. I hope they are in the back end of the 1st round.

And when I hear there is always next year -- I just think of the Kansas City Royals, as that is the response of their fans every year. I think Detroit has waited long enough to upgrade a few positions.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Us and some could argue that on some cases, Ebron will present a much bigger one than Tate.mmm...the addition of Tate alone doesnt make the offense unstoppable. Stafford is going to find the mismatche

No player added makes the offense unstoppable. The only player who can make the offense unstoppable is Stafford. That being said -- a WR who is given 6 targets and catches all 6 balls is going to really help the Lions this year. Especially a WR who has proven he can produce as a #1 WR against #1 CB, as Tate did last year.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think Ebron will be limited in his opportunities. I see it much different. If teams will be so concerned about CJ, Tate and Bush (and whoever else), that creates more opportunities for Ebron. If the Lions didnt have Tate and Bush, Ebron's opportunities go down if you ask me.

1. It doesn't matter what RB is in the backfield, Bush or Bell. NO's style offense throws the ball over and over to RB's. It is one of the reasons why Brees completes 70% of his passes.

2. If Ebron was the #2 option in the passing game and given 100-120 targets, instead of say 60-70 -- I would sure hope he is more productive. On a team with Calvin Johnson -- opposing defenses can't double everyone and not many teams are going to be foolish like the Giants and single Calvin Johnson.

Basically -- all I'm saying is -- Being so far down the pecking order in an offense of established NFL players -- his looks will be limited and he could have multiple games just like the 1st game. IF he has any issues catching the ball, it will limit his opportunities even more, as Stafford will be hesitant to throw his way.