• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts after the Minnesota game................

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually saw receivers open often, Stafford was simply missing them for the most part today. He had a wide open a Ebron on a mid crossing pattern and missed him by a mile. Ebron had nothing but space in front of him

I must have watched a different game today. I saw WR's with some uncharacteristic drops, like Tate dropping multiple passes. But even though Stafford didn't have a big game, I thought he played very smart today, especially with the poor pass protection he had for the 2nd consecutive game.

I missed Ebron 1st catch, as I didn't see much of the 1st quarter. So the crossing route you speak of must have happened then. I saw two plays to Ebron that went incomplete and each time, Stafford was pressured. 1st one was an out and Ebron looked like he would be open, but he didn't have time to run his route before Stafford had to throw the ball. 2nd one was a crossing pattern like you mentioned, but Harrison Smith was in Ebron's back pocket and Stafford just threw it away basically.

I think some of the biggest issues with the Stafford and Ebron right now is -- He was drafted more to run vertical routes. Our OL for whatever reason, has struggled mightily in pass protect this year. So it could be he is getting a chance to run the routes asked of him, before Stafford has to get rid of the ball.

I know the one guy today who was a glaring weakness on the offensive line was Ravioli. On the one play -- Hodges was blitzing up the middle and Ravioli let him run right by him, while he blocked absolutely no one. On another -- #93 -- not sure who that is on Minny, absolutely trucked Ravioli over and sacked Stafford. I was embarrassed for Ravioli after that play.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bell was definitely the offensive player of the game.. I think they should use him more in the next couple of weeks..

If Bell can hold onto the ball -- He is a quality player. It is the fumbles that absolutely kill us. I love his style of running though -- north/south -- always seems to fall forward for the extra yard or two.

I also like Winn. He is tough runner too in between the tackles.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must have watched a different game today.
No, it was the same one. I never said there weren't drops, but Staff missed receivers badly also.

Yes, he was pressured a shit ton today. But that's another story for another time. He still wasn't as accurate as I'd hoped for overall IMO.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't even see Roary!!!! I'm still pissed.....Did he even fly with the team to Minny?....Cut backs in money? I don't know.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the recap of the game on CBS -- they have a video talking about the Lions defense and they said to name the best defense in the NFL regardless of stats or what the rankings say. The answer from all the guys on the panel was.....................the Detroit Lions.

I don't care if it has only been 6 games. This defense has been so much fun to watch. The one guy even said -- Levy will get votes for DPOTY, even though he said JJ Watt is going to win it (I thought it was odd he said Watt would win it, even though it is only 6 games into the season).

GO LIONS!!!!!! I don't care if our offense doesn't score 30 points a game. If our DL continues to play like they have -- we are going to be a very scary team.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it was the same one. I never said there weren't drops, but Staff missed receivers badly also.

Yes, he was pressured a shit ton today. But that's another story for another time. He still wasn't as accurate as I'd hoped for overall IMO.

Understandable. I wasn't expecting a big passing game today with CJ and Bush out, so I wasn't really surprised by the low numbers.

As someone stated earlier -- I'd like to see the Lions throw it down field a little more, but it seems like the overwhelming majority of play calls are short passes the last couple games. We aren't even taking shots down field.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the recap of the game on CBS -- they have a video talking about the Lions defense and they said to name the best defense in the NFL regardless of stats or what the rankings say. The answer from all the guys on the panel was.....................the Detroit Lions.

I don't care if it has only been 6 games. This defense has been so much fun to watch. The one guy even said -- Levy will get votes for DPOTY, even though he said JJ Watt is going to win it (I thought it was odd he said Watt would win it, even though it is only 6 games into the season).

GO LIONS!!!!!! I don't care if our offense doesn't score 30 points a game. If our DL continues to play like they have -- we are going to be a very scary team.

See, this is what I thought everyone(well almost everyone) wanted in a Lions team....a stout defense. They've shown up each and every week. At Carolina and against Buffalo, if we even have a decent offense we're undefeated.

I think it's great they're playing so well. It seems they're all buying into Austin's scheme. Just wish our offense could get going n

As for Watt, he will win it if he keeps this up. Dude is unreal.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PhotoGrid_1413090582134_zpsfdd8926e.jpg

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I did was just a test up there, but what you're looking at is what Stafford missed at the end of the Buffalo game last week. Fuller came open at the top of the screen on a ten yard come back, Stafford looked at him but never threw it. I was pissed after TN I saw this.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the OL creating holes in the run game? Seen Bell and Riddick had 4 yard average.

Is Stafford rolling out at all? Just wondering if that could help instead staying in pocket?

Didn't hear or see a stitch of coverage today

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understandable. I wasn't expecting a big passing game today with CJ and Bush out, so I wasn't really surprised by the low numbers.

As someone stated earlier -- I'd like to see the Lions throw it down field a little more, but it seems like the overwhelming majority of play calls are short passes the last couple games. We aren't even taking shots down field.

Seems by the time receivers get down field Stafford is sacked.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota has been awful all year against the run. The Lions numbers on the ground were a direct result I'm pretty sure the majority Majority of Vikings opponents had even better numbers on the ground at least as of late.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the OL creating holes in the run game? Seen Bell and Riddick had 4 yard average.

Is Stafford rolling out at all? Just wondering if that could help instead staying in pocket?

Didn't hear or see a stitch of coverage today

Roll outs and PA is where the protection struggles most it would seem.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, Stafford has been getting crushed on PA passes. I think thats when they try to take shots down field.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the game for a second time, focusing strictly on the OLine. Not as bad as some make it seem. Second drive was stalled because Watford got fooled on a stunt, Stafford had Ebron open but had to hurry it. Still probably should've made the throw, but not all on him.

Fourth drive killed by a holding penalty, followed by Warford not focusing on snap and allowing immediate pressure on 3rd and very long.

Fifth drive, line playing decent, on a second and 8 pressure comes Stafford instead of stepping to open area to gain more time tries a spin move right into pressure and causes a holding call, next play he gets time makes a good throw and Tate drops it, next play gets time, seems no one open basically a throw away.

Next drive starts with a play action when vikings blitz, easy sack. Then drive ends when vikings pull out of a showed blitz and Stafford dumps it off too quick.

Next drive another blitz and receivers are running deep routes, smh, next 2 plays has time but in completes.

Next drive, OLine is good but its a hurry up offense, nobody getting open, 3rd drop by Bell. FG end of half.

On second look, OLine played better in the first half than I originally gave them credit for. The inconsistencies were Watford being confused a couple plays, and the Lions not being able to recognize blitz/fake blitz. Those things hopefully can be cleaned up. Stafford and Lombardi have to be better at that blitz recognition. Other than that, Stafford played very well. Seems to be a receiver problem, honestly. I'd upgrade my 'D' first half OLine grade to a C+, with a few mistakes holding it from a B.

Gonna do the second half later.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roll outs and PA is where the protection struggles most it would seem.

Last week it seemed it was the pocket collapsing. Maybe after PA?? Only radio last week and nothing today.

No good debates this week. At least not from me.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, Stafford has been getting crushed on PA passes. I think thats when they try to take shots down field.

This is where I answered on 22's post of who gets criticized Staff or Lombardi?

PA is not working on deep shots and no adjustments is not Stafford. Realizing PA creates most deep shots, still gotta try something different.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last week it seemed it was the pocket collapsing. Maybe after PA?? Only radio last week and nothing today.

No good debates this week. At least not from me.

Play action was bad. Recognizing blitz was bad. Roll outs actually worked. Seems like the screen game is under utilized, as well.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should do that TE screen for Ebron like they did for Pettigrew the last couple of years.